How many people would have thought... | Syracusefan.com

How many people would have thought...

QManCuse

Walk On
when Derrick Coleman was in school here, with all his personality problems and all his histrionics and bad choices, that some day he would turn out to be the best ambassador of SU sports of all the hundreds of athletes before and after his tenure. He is unwavering in his support, and I really enjoy seeing him in the stands at our games, in season and post season. Very similar to Magic Johnson at MSU. Easy to tell the enthusiasm is genuine.

when Derrick Coleman was in school here, with all his personality problems and all his histrionics and bad choices, that some day he would turn out to be the best ambassador of SU sports of all the hundreds of athletes before and after his tenure. He is unwavering in his support, and I really enjoy seeing him in the stands at our games, in season and post season. Very similar to Magic Johnson at MSU. Easy to tell the enthusiasm is genuine.

He was a lot of fun to watch:

http://www.orangehoops.org/DColeman.htm

By today's standards he would have been 2 and done at most.

"Derrick Coleman was one of the greatest all around basketball players in Syracuse history. 'DC' could do it all. A tall player with tremendous arm length, he was unparalleled at rebounding, pulling down more rebounds in his career than any other player in NCAA history (modern day). This despite playing alongside other great rebounders his entire career in Syracuse, sharing the rebounds with Rony Seikaly and Billy Owens, and having great offensive rebounders like Stephen Thompson around. Coleman brought a certain swagger and
DerrickColeman.jpg
confidence to the court, something that would irritate opponents and their fans."

Last edited:
i don't think derrick coleman was one of the best in Syracuse history, I think he was one of the best in all history that was unfortunately derailed by health issues.
a unique player that was dominant without "elite" athleticism in a measurable sense, a player that could pass, score, rebound and defend, plus had swagger. a delight to watch.

I had a conversation with Jake Crouthamel during the Derrick era and he indicated that he had stress every day worrying that Derrick would get in "trouble." I don't know if Jake is still alive, but I am betting he is as delighted and proud of Derrick as we are.

I had a conversation with Jake Crouthamel during the Derrick era and he indicated that he had stress every day worrying that Derrick would get in "trouble." I don't know if Jake is still alive, but I am betting he is as delighted and proud of Derrick as we are.

He's still alive. Wikipedia is your friend... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom