How many times does Cooney get toasted by a late 3 | Syracusefan.com

How many times does Cooney get toasted by a late 3

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Before he learns to just let the ball go inside for a 2 point attempt late in the game?

Good game today. Laranega(?) scares me. Bummer we didn't handle some things we can control better.

Before he learns to just let the ball go inside for a 2 point attempt late in the game?

Good game today. Laranega(?) scares me. Bummer we didn't handle some things we can control better.
This one was different than the last two. No excuse for the Nova 3. This one, I wanted them to shoot a 3. They made it. Good for them. I'll take that chance in this situation.

This one was different than the last two. No excuse for the Nova 3. This one, I wanted them to shoot a 3. They made it. Good for them. I'll take that chance in this situation.
Really? I respect the take, but when I saw the ball go inside I got downright giddy. Keeping it a one possession game... I liked our chances, even down three.

And then I got really not giddy very quickly.

Yep down one late, we had to keep it a one possession game. The ball hadn't left that guys hands and I was screaming at the TV, no Cooney, not again!!! To his credit though, he did come right back down and bury a contested 3 of his own.

Yep down one late, we had to keep it a one possession game. The ball hadn't left that guys hands and I was screaming at the TV, no Cooney, not again!!! To his credit though, he did come right back down and bury a contested 3 of his own.

Ditto. Somehow he managed to guard nobody. Quite the lapse. He does have a tendency to give up open threes late.

Still, at least he didn't miss an open dunk. And followed his miscue with a three, and not a bunch more miscues. Blah.

there were 2 guys open at the 3. he cant guard both

I didn't see it that way, Cooney came off his guy and again got sucked into the lane...it was passed back out to the same player who buried a wide wide open shot. Purely Cooney's defensive blunder in that moment...imo.

Ditto. Somehow he managed to guard nobody. Quite the lapse. He does have a tendency to give up open threes late.

Still, at least he didn't miss an open dunk. And followed his miscue with a three, and not a bunch more miscues. Blah.

I hear ya...G was painful today in crunch time. :(:bang:

As soon as the ball went in and he turned I cringed. I knew what was coming. And it did. And as for having two guys to guard, it would have been nice if he picked one guard instead of a 7 footed. And oh by the way Joseph was just as guilty. The ball went between them and they BOTH turned down the lane leaving really good shooters open. You notice that when the ball goes inside the opponents seldom leave Cooney alone.

As soon as the ball went in and he turned I cringed. I knew what was coming. And it did. And as for having two guys to guard, it would have been nice if he picked one guard instead of a 7 footed. And oh by the way Joseph was just as guilty. The ball went between them and they BOTH turned down the lane leaving really good shooters open. You notice that when the ball goes inside the opponents seldom leave Cooney alone.

Joseph drives me bananas on defense. Try getting a hand in someone's face - please. This token arm extension toward their mid-section, followed by a made three of course, might be the end of me. Just don't guard them at all then if that's all you got.

I'm thinking this stuff isn't happening as often as it gets mentioned or maybe exactly as described simply because not once has JB said a word to him. I think it's probably more a rotation thing or the right thing to do in certain situations.

I'm thinking this stuff isn't happening as often as it gets mentioned or maybe exactly as described simply because not once has JB said a word to him. I think it's probably more a rotation thing or the right thing to do in certain situations.
I think it is the right play, most of the time. You generally want to collapse inside.

Situationally though, sometimes you want to stick to the shooters. That was one of those times. Cooney has a hard time recognizing that. And, if he is doing what Boeheim wants there - well, I think there's a strong case to be made that Boeheim can be wrong about that strategy.

His on the ball defense hasn't been great this year. He gives up way too many threes. He's great stepping into passing lanes and getting steals, but he needs to contest more three point shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom