How Much Can Shafer Get Done in Two Weeks? | Syracusefan.com

How Much Can Shafer Get Done in Two Weeks?

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
Realistically, how much of what needs to be done, can actually be done before CMU?

1. Reconfigure the offense
2. Hopefully, with returnees to the line-up, reconstitute the OL and get them to run-block effectively
3. Get Bullough to understand how to defend mobile QBs (granted, may not be needed vs CMU)
4. Help find another DT (Wayne?)
5. Get the DBs to actually cover somebody

And if Hunt is ruled ineligible, yikes...

Realistically, how much of what needs to be done, can actually be done before CMU?

2. Hopefully, with returnees to the line-up, reconstitute the OL and get them to run-block effectively
3. Get Bullough to understand how to defend mobile QBs (granted, may not be needed vs CMU)

Did Wayne Williams even play? I saw Coleman, Crume, Johnson and Sloan in at DT but I don't recall seeing Wayne.

i hope more than he has done in pre-season. i do have the confidence that he will take some action what he has now is a sense of urgency that did not previously exist. i am sure he is more concerned re the coaches than the players right now. he needs to be totally focused on the coaches, maintain his cool and be decisive---just my opinion.

I don't know if we need an overhaul of the offense (you may not have been saying this in your post). What I think we need is to play calls that our O-line can execute. One reason I observed for the poor blocking was because our O-linemen that pulled couldn't get there fast enough, or when they did they missed their block. Or sometimes we would just get blown off the line. I would have liked to have seen some straight up power running as an adjustment to the lack of our tackles pulling and setting blocks (perhaps there were some but I haven't gone back to watch the game again).

I'm sure the game tape will show what was/wasn't working and hopefully the staff will plan around this to give our offense the best chance to execute the game plan.

i hope more than he has done in pre-season. i do have the confidence that he will take some action what he has now is a sense of urgency that did not previously exist. i am sure he is more concerned re the coaches than the players right now. he needs to be totally focused on the coaches, maintain his cool and be decisive---just my opinion.
Agree completely. I think he takes over and micro-manages every minute detail. No more delegating to these guys until every aspect is under control and done his way.

Not sure why we were pulling guards on the 1-yard line. Run behind Hickey/Trudo and the best blocking FB/TE, or let one of the RB's go over the top.

A lot of small adjustments can occur in two weeks and it's probably going to be more about mentally getting this team where it needs to be. Stop talking and play some damn ball.

Not sure why we were pulling guards on the 1-yard line. Run behind Hickey/Trudo and the best blocking FB/TE, or let one of the RB's go over the top.

A lot of small adjustments can occur in two weeks and it's probably going to be more about mentally getting this team where it needs to be. Stop talking and play some damn ball.

Best post of weekend! Stop talking, toughen up mentally and go play some ball!!!

Pick 2 backs and roll. PTG and AAM are mine. We have too many backs, it is good if one goes down however, this is not house league my goodness

Agree completely. I think he takes over and micro-manages every minute detail. No more delegating to these guys until every aspect is under control and done his way.

Agree with both of you. This is a coaching issue, not a player issue, IMO. And more specifically a coordinator issue.

Anyone who thinks we were as close as the score indicated to Villanova talent wise is kidding themselves.

Pick 2 backs and roll. PTG and AAM are mine. We have too many backs, it is good if one goes down however, this is not house league my goodness

AAM didn't show me much. Had one good run and that's it. I'd rather PTG and McFarlane. Still think Morris is a good player, have no idea what his deal was.

AAM didn't show me much. Had one good run and that's it. I'd rather PTG and McFarlane. Still think Morris is a good player, have no idea what his deal was.
Ok thats fine. Just pick 2! Enough of this stupid rotation.

Cuse'91 said:
Close the revolving door @ RB position. This isn't little league baseball where everyone gets a chance to play. Pick 2 backs and give them the consecutive carries to get into a running rhythm.

I said the same thing Friday night about the WR position.

I said the same thing Friday night about the WR position.
Good point, I think coaches have done a little better job zeroing in on best WRs, but should trim even more. At least we have moved on from Kobena, that's one postive. I like Kobena's speed on the long ball which is something we desperately need, but we only get 1 or 2 chances to connect on a bomb in a game, and Kobena is 50% likely to drop it. Also, pick ONE possession guy, God knows we have a ton of those...

Let's give the offense a whole game with the starting QB. I am not excusing Hunt, just everyone else a little. Look I am a critic of McDonald but we did play without 3.5 starters on offense in the 2nd half. How many teams would be good without their QB, TE, and two starting guards?
The defense should improve with two weeks of practice. Biggest issue other than containment is communication. If we are going to play zone behind the blitz, players have to do a better job of passing receivers off.
I am willing to flush this game if they step up in two weeks.

I am not sold on GMcD as an OC as well as our inexperienced offensive staff. Too many games where the O has looked lost and plays are so predictable.
Wonder what HCSS said to the O staff in meetings after the Nova game.

play calling was all over the place as it was last year. stick with game plan that won the texas bowl. we should not be calling more than 1 bubble screen or RB screen pass per drive

I would not want to be in the film room after this game as an Offensive Lineman.

Well, he once drank 64 beers on a cross country flight.

the only SU player that seemed to make people miss was Hunt and he got thrown out after 2 runs. had Vill missed as many tackles as SU we win by 30. so many of the missed tackles were by multiple players and kept drives alive. if that continues we are in for a long year.