How much will the new shot clock affect us? | Syracusefan.com

How much will the new shot clock affect us?

There is always a last pass. ;)

Yep. That is my question - will this simply make the "last 8 seconds of the shot clock heaves that go in" more frequent? Because in the past few years, teams seem to be deadly in those last 8 seconds.

I suspect that not having the extra 5 seconds to beat the zone will have a significant impact. How many times has the zone been beaten on the last pass?

Every single time. You don't shoot and keep passing.

We will play a deeper bench. maybe.

More possessions, more fouls, more frenetic play; every team will need to play a deeper bench.
Faster play - more catch your breath breaks needed;
Starters will need to sub in and out more often.

If we can't defend the post or cover the wings
by having enough meat or talent in the middle
then we'll need to play swarming pressure defense
and/or consistently shoot well from three
to compensate for the points we surrender.

One factor that may undercut this theory is
overzealous refs blowing the whistle too often
which kills momentum.

In that case we play our traditional 6.5 man rotation

If the legs are there, we will run more especially with Hop coaching.

^^^^
Most enjoyable Cuse teams to watch ever.

Indeed!
That's back when we got free fries for hitting 100 points, which we did somewhat regularly.

Now, it's Taco Time for 75. Yay?

Hopefully the shorter shot clock bumps scoring back up again.
A win is a win, but is much prefer a track meet 95-92 win, vs 45-42 grind.

Yeah, i loved those track meet days, too. One game stands out to me. We were up against a good UCONN team and the last five minutes both teams were nailing threes. The final score was (just guessing) about 113-105. We won.

If this gets Kaleb and Mike to attack more, I'd love a game in the 90s. As much as I admired Ennis's command of the game, I hate the slow roll-up.

The new shot clock will reward those teams that play good half-court defense, penalize those who run inept half-court offenses, and be of little consequence to the rest. I imagine we're going to see more desperation heaves from beyond the arc, and a few more shot clock violations. I doubt that these will increase scoring, but I believe it will aid those teams that play very good defense. The most immediate result I can foresee is that next spring, as head coaching positions become open, we may see more assistants from those defensively minded programs getting the opportunity to become head coaches.

I wouldn't worry about the shot clock. Players and coaches will adjust. Where I live we play FIBA rules - 24 second shot clock, and 8 seconds to get the ball over the half court line. Yes, even JV girls, and they seem to be handling it. I don't especially like it, but if they can deal with a shorter clock, so can Div. I NCAA men.

I suspect that not having the extra 5 seconds to beat the zone will have a significant impact. How many times has the zone been beaten on the last pass?

More importantly, if we are behind the other team will not be to end the game by not playing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom