How to fix the NBA draft for college hoops | Syracusefan.com

How to fix the NBA draft for college hoops

Alsacs

Living Legend
Make every kid eligible for the draft at 18.
Have a combine a la the NFL for all kids in April. Players can visit up to 5 teams with the teams paying the expenses.

If an 18 year old kid is drafted then the team drafting has to assign them to their D-league team for atleast 1 year. If the player signs with their NBA team they get 1 year D-league contract and a one year guaranteed contract and three team option years.

If the 18 year old player doesn't sign with NBA team the player can go play college basketball and not enter the draft until after their junior year. However teams keep the rights of kids they draft and can negotiate contracts with their kids. Kids can't leave until after their Sophomore season or second year removed from HS. If the two sides can't agree the junior reenters the draft.

Players drafted after their junior year get 3 yr guaranteed contracts with no team options.

Kids who aren't drafted after their Junior year or third year removed from HS become FAs after their 4th year removed from HS and can negotiate with any team.

This allows kids who want to go pro the ability to do so and it helps teams scout kids.

Only suggestion I would make is one that Tellem? had which is that the D League draftees get the minimum rookie salary and don't count against the cap while in the D League.

While it fixes things for college hoops it does not meet the biggest objective for the NBA. Remove draft uncertainty.

The NBA wants nothing to do with drafting 18 year old kids unless they possess extraordinary talent.

Similar to baseball. However I actually believe there is nothing wrong with the NBA draft from the NBA perspective and if they don't want to change it they won't. However from a college perspective the current system is terrible. I'm not sure you idea will fix it but it might help. It's funny how basketball is the only sport with a problem. None of the other college sports do.

While it fixes things for college hoops it does not meet the biggest objective for the NBA. Remove draft uncertainty.

The NBA wants nothing to do with drafting 18 year old kids unless they possess extraordinary talent.

There is always going to be uncertainty, and the way NBA teams draft Euro players shows they will take risks based upon projections. For example, do you think Philly might have taken Okafor/Mudiay instead of Embiid/Saric last year?

Opening up the Draft would reward the savvy GM's who can trust their scouting. It worked for the Lakers when they got Kobe without having a lottery pick. If he went to college for a year, there was no chance they were getting him for what they gave Charlotte.

Alsacs, is this system under consideration? I think it promotes honesty, which is good. However, what incentive other than protecting a couple of good players at base rates in the D-League?
The current system punishes the early exit who needs to declare to interview (Tell his boss) by not allowing them to return to a job (college) if they blow the interview (don't get drafted).
To jncuse, perhaps you may suggest that the NBA only draft its openings. Outside of the franchise players, how would they know who's staying and who's going? How else would you remove uncertainty? It's like a hotel that overbooks because they know traveling schlubs no-show.

Assuming the D-league continues to grow in to being a viable farm system/minor league, I propose that the draft is expanded two additional rounds. All players are eligible for the draft two years after high school graduation - they do not need to declare, and if invited they are permitted to participate in any and all pre-draft camps, be interviewed by teams, etc.. Once drafted, players are invited to make the professional team or the D-league affiliate and are paid a flat amount for participating in camp if they so choose. If they fail to make either team or elect to not participate in camp outright, they are permitted to return to school, the NBA team sacrifices their rights, and they are eligible to be drafted by a new team after the following season. If the following year they also fail to make a professional squad, they are permitted to return again, and reenter the draft after their final season. If at that time they are undrafted or play a 5th year due to redshirt, they become an unrestricted free agent.

Simultaneously, the number of scholarships alotted to each men's basketball team per season increases to 15 to account for the increased possible attrition each program may face year to year.

I know people will read this and give all kinds of reasons why not. I don't care. All your reasons are stupid. Every single one of them.

I think the best compromise in the end will be a simple two and done. with a special NBA committee allowing 2-4 early entry players each year (Be it HS or Freshman).

We have to remember who controls the NBA Draft -- the NBA. We can't think of a system that is best for us -- we can just hope for a system that makes it better for us.

They don't fully care what is best for the NCAA - they may try to have something that is better for the NCAA to an extent as it is the key feeder and player development system. But in the end it is what is best for the NBA. They can make rules like a special committee. Players have tried to challenge draft rules before in all sports with restrictions without success so I doubt the NBA is afraid of restrictions The biggest objectives are:
1) Removing draft uncertainty as much as it can be removed... it will certainly always exist.
2) Maintaining the system with the NCAA whereby a full blown minor league system is avoided plus rookies get marketing from the NCAA before they even enter the league.

The 1 and done seemed mutually beneficial at first. And the 1 and Done, has always been better for the NBA than the HS rule. It has separated some duds from the pack after 1 year. And for college fans at first, it seemed better too. At least we would get to see these guys. But we have become tired of the lack of continuity.

The 2 and Done is a simple model that makes it much better for the NBA, has more college players who are actually stars entering the league. The early entry committee allows them to bring players they know will benefit the league (or appears its bottom teams) immediately. And for college fans it will provide the continuity that we need at this point -- not only for our own teams but for an entire NCAA perspective.

Melo would still leave early (A committee early entry selection). And Waiters would leave as a soph which most were fine. Grant situations would still exist that still irk people/ But the one move that irked Syracuse fans the most was Tyler Ennis leaving. And that would be eliminated.

And as an NCAA fan I would get to see these players more just as I was starting to know them in the conference season.

This would pull some players away from the NCAA early still. And some may now be more convinced to never enter the NCAAA. But as a fan, to see the majority of top frosh as sophomore would be great.

Have a combine a la the NFL for all kids in April. Players can visit up to 5 teams with the teams paying the expenses.

If an 18 year old kid is drafted then the team drafting has to assign them to their D-league team for atleast 1 year. If the player signs with their NBA team they get 1 year D-league contract and a one year guaranteed contract and three team option years.

If the 18 year old player doesn't sign with NBA team the player can go play college basketball and not enter the draft until after their junior year. However teams keep the rights of kids they draft and can negotiate contracts with their kids. Kids can't leave until after their Sophomore season or second year removed from HS. If the two sides can't agree the junior reenters the draft.

Players drafted after their junior year get 3 yr guaranteed contracts with no team options.

Kids who aren't drafted after their Junior year or third year removed from HS become FAs after their 4th year removed from HS and can negotiate with any team.

This allows kids who want to go pro the ability to do so and it helps teams scout kids.
I think an NBA bonus for semesters completed and a degree would help kids who want to stay in school, and some credit towards FA should be granted per year in college as well.

I think the best compromise in the end will be a simple two and done. with a special NBA committee allowing 2-4 early entry players each year (Be it HS or Freshman).

We have to remember who controls the NBA Draft -- the NBA. We can't think of a system that is best for us -- we can just hope for a system that makes it better for us.

They don't fully care what is best for the NCAA - they may try to have something that is better for the NCAA to an extent as it is the key feeder and player development system. But in the end it is what is best for the NBA. They can make rules like a special committee. Players have tried to challenge draft rules before in all sports with restrictions without success so I doubt the NBA is afraid of restrictions The biggest objectives are:
1) Removing draft uncertainty as much as it can be removed... it will certainly always exist.
2) Maintaining the system with the NCAA whereby a full blown minor league system is avoided plus rookies get marketing from the NCAA before they even enter the league.

The 1 and done seemed mutually beneficial at first. And the 1 and Done, has always been better for the NBA than the HS rule. It has separated some duds from the pack after 1 year. And for college fans at first, it seemed better too. At least we would get to see these guys. But we have become tired of the lack of continuity.

The 2 and Done is a simple model that makes it much better for the NBA, has more college players who are actually stars entering the league. The early entry committee allows them to bring players they know will benefit the league (or appears its bottom teams) immediately. And for college fans it will provide the continuity that we need at this point -- not only for our own teams but for an entire NCAA perspective.

Melo would still leave early (A committee early entry selection). And Waiters would leave as a soph which most were fine. Grant situations would still exist that still irk people/ But the one move that irked Syracuse fans the most was Tyler Ennis leaving. And that would be eliminated.

And as an NCAA fan I would get to see these players more just as I was starting to know them in the conference season.

This would pull some players away from the NCAA early still. And some may now be more convinced to never enter the NCAAA. But as a fan, to see the majority of top frosh as sophomore would be great.
I hate, absolutely hate, ANY rule that prevents someone from persuing their chosen profession, (if qualified) even if temporarily.

Better yet - allow players who get drafted the ability to go back to school and keep playing for the college team while under contract.

Can someone explain to me why a hockey player is allowed to be drafted by an NHL team, get paid a contract, and still can go back to college and play for his college hockey team? But football and basketball players cannot do the same?

18-year-olds trying out in April, eh? So, the NBA might take on kids that don't even graduate from high school?

Better yet - allow players who get drafted the ability to go back to school and keep playing for the college team while under contract.

Can someone explain to me why a hockey player is allowed to be drafted by an NHL team, get paid a contract, and still can go back to college and play for his college hockey team? But football and basketball players cannot do the same?

Good point, but the hockey kids don't get paid and return to college. They only get paid when they leave, but they are able to leave at any point in their career. It's an easy out for the NCAA to say they can't do anything about the pro rules, instead of trying to be proactive.

Seems like an easy solution. The NCAA should change its rules and allow kids to declare for the draft, but not accept compensation (or even accept some nominal compensation to assist them in participating in pre-draft workouts) but then return to college if they don't sign a player contract.

If the NCAA gave its student-athletes that little bit of leverage wouldn't it force the NBA to reexamine their system?

I would imagine the NBA would not like this at all, right? I'd think they would want a kid they drafted at least developing in the D-League, if not the NBA. But I could be wrong, since it does happen in the NHL, but I admit I don't know much about that system

I hate, absolutely hate, ANY rule that prevents someone from persuing their chosen profession, (if qualified) even if temporarily.

I am in agreement that it should be the kid's choice... but this thread was about what is best for the NBA (the ultimate decision maker) and my response was borne from that context.

The NBA would never go the baseball route.

The NBA is much more about star power. One player / one starter makes a much bigger difference than MLB. They do not want rookies determining where they will play. They do not want to give the player an option to go where he desires as he enters the league. They want him to go where he is drafted, and that is why they have a set scale so it is never about finances. They would never except an alternative that gives the ability for the player to enter the league with another team.

Can enter the NBA right out of HS

If you choose to go to college you stay for two years.
You can enter the draft after the first year but still have to stay for your 2nd (3rd and 4th years optional)

I always thought there should be a sliding rookie salary scale for kids that stay in college. I believe drafted players are covered by the scale their first 3 years and can;t make market value until the second contract - year 4 in the league. This promotes an incentive to start the clock as early as possible. Why not start the clock following the freshman year of college? Sophomores are artificially constrained by the scale for only 2 years, juniors for only their first year and seniors are able to negotiate a fair market contract immediately. May provide a reverse incentive for the NBA to draft early entrants before established college players but how different is that from what we see today?

Also have a friend who thinks with 4 year guaranteed scholarships should come a provision that player who leave early should have to recompense the school for a portion of their scholarship. Doubt that would change the incentive structure and you could certainly engineer the provisions but it does have a ring of fairness to it.

I always thought there should be a sliding rookie salary scale for kids that stay in college. I believe drafted players are covered by the scale their first 3 years and can;t make market value until the second contract - year 4 in the league. This promotes an incentive to start the clock as early as possible. Why not start the clock following the freshman year of college? Sophomores are artificially constrained by the scale for only 2 years, juniors for only their first year and seniors are able to negotiate a fair market contract immediately. May provide a reverse incentive for the NBA to draft early entrants before established college players but how different is that from what we see today?

Also have a friend who thinks with 4 year guaranteed scholarships should come a provision that player who leave early should have to recompense the school for a portion of their scholarship. Doubt that would change the incentive structure and you could certainly engineer the provisions but it does have a ring of fairness to it.

Absolutely hate this idea. Would it only apply to kids who leave early and are signed to a professional contract or would it also apply to kids who (i) leave early and go undrafted, (ii) are declared academically ineligible and dismissed, (iii) are dismissed for conduct reasons, (iv) decide to transfer?

Any ideas that are geared towards making kids go to school or stay in school longer than they want are a bad idea in my view. There are already way to many restrictions placed on them in the name of giving them a degree that they don't necessarily want. Find kids that truly want to be in school, don't try to take kids that don't want to be there and come up with ways to force them to stay there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom