How you will know ... | Syracusefan.com

How you will know ...

Orijinal

All Conference
A lot has been made about Scott Shafer's tenure after next season (Especially in the Moreland thread). Some say he needs to get to 6 wins this year to get another. And to this I absolutely say, "no how, no way, in this universe." But possibly in an alternate one where AD's will gladly dismiss a coach after 3 years. But that would be a dang stupid universe.

Here's the bar. I'm laying down how it's going to be right now and you'll never have to wonder:

If Shafer gets 4 wins, he stays for a fourth year. UNLESS he gets 4 wins at the beginning of the season and goes on a 6 game losing streak. Then he's gone. 4 wins and a 5 game losing streak? Would need to be blowout losses for him to get the hook. This man might not even be gone with 3 wins unless the exceptions stated are met or exceeded.

2 wins or less? He's gone. But I'm going to say Shafer probably gets his fourth year. That's it and it's the absolute truth.

I know what you are saying, but 4 wins doesn't satisfy anyone. But it will buy him another year.

My guess
Gross departing for whatever reason would get him an extra year no matter what. (The school can't handle both)
Gross staying and not getting 5 wins might be the end.

edmundfitz.jpg

It's not accurate to look at this in a bubble of only wins. Shafer has made what appear to be a number of poor decisions - giving Lester the OC job with no due diligence, the infamous ISIS comment, the handling of McDonald, getting, keeping and continuing to add to the band being back together, etc.

Many of those decisions and the lack of confidence they inspire would have already gotten him fired at some other schools. People are saying six wins because Shafer can then at least fall back on saying "his way" works, even if just a little. Less than six wins for two years in a row, plus those other things can be seen as justification for a firing. Even at Syracuse.

HCSS will get the next two years unless he completely bombs. 4 wins and he is back
Yes. Very much so. It's not what the fans think as much as giving your hiring investment as much time as possible to find the success that will stabilize the program. Otherwise throw the past 3 years out the window, kicking out a coach who now has 3 more years experience at the expense of your program and paying him a 4th year for absolutely nothing. Not good sense and never will be

Last edited:
4 wins isn't enough. If SU wins 4 games next year they have to fire him. To think otherwise is foolish

anyone who is happy to get to 4 wins- find another program to root for-

if he was kept after a 4 win season after last season -gross should be fired also

HCSS will get the next two years unless he completely bombs. 4 wins and he is back

Doubtful. 4 wins coming off of a 3 win season? I can't envision that happening.

The only scenario I can envision where that would be the case would be if the offense suddenly becomes dynamic, but we still lose. If we are putting up tons of points but losing shootouts, with exciting play that packs the dome, then maybe you give him another year.

But if we follows up this year with another plodding offense that struggles to score and we only win 4 games--then we've seen all that we need to see about HCSS.

SS has to get 6 wins next year or he should be gone. This team has been horrible offensively against P5 teams. If we go 4-8 or 5-7 and keep SS for a fourth year our fanbase will become even more apathetic. Keeping SS after this cluster season wasn't right IMO.

Handing the keys to Lester on offense was crazy and not confidence inspiring. I want to win football games I don't want a coach full of hot air and bravada talking #hardnosed football and lock 'em up in the Dome and then punt on 4th and 1 in a blowout game with nothing to lose and then the following week pooch punt on a 45 yd FGA.

This coaching staff used up all of its rope either 6 games or we wish you well in your future endeavors SS and band.

Doubtful. 4 wins coming off of a 3 win season? I can't envision that happening.

The only scenario I can envision where that would be the case would be if the offense suddenly becomes dynamic, but we still lose. If we are putting up tons of points but losing shootouts, with exciting play that packs the dome, then maybe you give him another year.

But if we follows up this year with another plodding offense that struggles to score and we only win 4 games--then we've seen all that we need to see about HCSS.
This is what I've been saying for years. Because of our recent history (past 15 seasons or so) it's not just about winning - the program needs to be entertaining too. At this point I think a lot of people would feel better with a losing record where we drop a bunch of games with 45-38 scores versus clawing out six wins with a bunch of 17-14 victories. I would at least. I'm not going to buy that we're getting better until I see real progress on the offensive side of the ball.

My guess
Gross departing for whatever reason would get him an extra year no matter what. (The school can't handle both)
Gross staying and not getting 5 wins might be the end.

If Gross goes, his high-salaried Sr. Exec AD Director of Something or Other cronies will be right behind. That's a lot of excess money SU will be saving.

When I have said it, it's not based an agenda. It's based on an OrangePa post a few weeks back where one of his sources told him Shafer needed to win in 2015. I took that comment to mean that at the very least we play a 13th game.

If Gross goes, his high-salaried Sr. Exec AD Director of Something or Other cronies will be right behind. That's a lot of excess money SU will be saving.
You have to pay their contracts out and pay all the new people. Can't see that being a cost savings.

If the team doesn't reach five wins, I feel like you have to part ways. I actually would prefer he stay an extra year to prove himself but another 4 win and below season is unacceptable. Now, if he were to get four wins and Robert Washington is committed to play here, I feel like you have to give him another year after.

A lot of this talk is "4 wins is unacceptable" and "we shouldn't be happy with 4 wins." That is not the question. NO ONE wants to see 4 wins--not the fans, not the players, not the coaches, nor anyone in the athletic department. You don't base decisions on "were we happy THIS season or the season before?" You cannot get rid of a coach after 3 years on the job unless you are absolutely sure he will continue to be a wrong decision in the future. The coach has 3 years invested in your school, getting more comfortable with all the responsibilities of being a head coach there, making connections, and personally developing in his craft, that you risk throwing out 3 years of building blocks that your university has paid for.

A lot of this talk is "4 wins is unacceptable" and "we shouldn't be happy with 4 wins." That is not the question. NO ONE wants to see 4 wins--not the fans, not the players, not the coaches, nor anyone in the athletic department. You don't base decisions on "were we happy THIS season or the season before?" You cannot get rid of a coach after 3 years on the job unless you are absolutely sure he will continue to be a wrong decision in the future. The coach has 3 years invested in your school, getting more comfortable with all the responsibilities of being a head coach there, making connections, and personally developing in his craft, that you risk throwing out 3 years of building blocks that your university has paid for.

It really depends on the circumstances, but I still don't think 4 does it in any way. That means you beat the 4 easiest, URI, CMU, USF, Wake, but lose to all the rest, including both Pitt and BC to close the year?

5 wins, with a win over either Pitt or BC, and a very close game at worst against the other, you can at least make a case for progress. Especially if the offense looks like it's moving in the right direction, and the D improves with experience.

I don't see any scenario where 4 wins does it. It's basically the same season as we just had except you trade a weaker USF for Maryland.

Five wins may do it, but that would have to include an upset of, say, Clemson.

But I still think the bar is 6 wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom