Howdy Y'all! :) | Syracusefan.com

Howdy Y'all! :)

orangechuck

Walk On
So I admit, I held off on joining this message board because my past experience with them was filled with constant griping and negativity. I am hoping my experience here will be better than that and comment sections of new sites filled with reasons not to support the team.

Some of you who are on Twitter may know me by the same handle (OrangeChuck) and know that frankly, not everything in my life has been perfect but I do my best to be positive about life and I LOVE SU sports, especially football since it was the sport I grew up watching more with my family. I love the school in general and the whole CNY area (even though I have not lived there since 89 but try to get back when possible.

Anyway, I am looking forward to interacting with fans who are excited about this team and program. If you are that "fan"who sees me in a Cuse jersey when I am in town and you're like the kid in A League Of Their Own shouting, "You're not gonna win!", we probably won't get along too well.

Go Orange! :)

So I admit, I held off on joining this message board because my past experience with them was filled with constant griping and negativity. I am hoping my experience here will be better than that and comment sections of new sites filled with reasons not to support the team.

Some of you who are on Twitter may know me by the same handle (OrangeChuck) and know that frankly, not everything in my life has been perfect but I do my best to be positive about life and I LOVE SU sports, especially football since it was the sport I grew up watching more with my family. I love the school in general and the whole CNY area (even though I have not lived there since 89 but try to get back when possible.

Anyway, I am looking forward to interacting with fans who are excited about this team and program. If you are that "fan"who sees me in a Cuse jersey when I am in town and you're like the kid in A League Of Their Own shouting, "You're not gonna win!", we probably won't get along too well.

Welcome brother! Don't mind the negative nancies on here! Just a warning though, they do exist, although even if they sound negative all the time, their hearts are in the right place. We all just want to win! Glad you decided to join! :D

This place is a lot better than most message boards and certainly miles better than the comments sections on Syracuse.com

Ola!

Luckily this board is tame enough that any realist offering subjective analysis is labeled with "negative nancy".

And stay away from TheCusian. :D

I don't consider the "realists" to be the negative nancies. Its the habitual offenders on here that assume everything Cuse does is bad, and expect us to be a National power. I think part of the problem with the negative folks is that they think we should still be winning 10 games a season just because we did it 20 years ago.

The negative posters should realize that the landscape of college football has changed immensely since then, and the northeast schools especially have been greatly affected by those changes. Add to the fact that Cuse is a private college that doesnt have a huge enrollment.

I don't get the folks on here that bash the coaches and other fans for thinking going to a bowl game is a successful year. Should we be able to win 8 games a year, with the occasional 9-10 win seasons sprinkled in, I believe so. Going through 4 head coaches in 10 years makes it a little more difficult.

I remain optimistic about where we are heading as a program. I believe in Shafer and think he's the right guy for the job long term here.

I can't stand the negative people who denounce a season before it's even started. That's just being a bad fan. If you can never believe in your team, why even participate? Whats the point?

I've been very negative lately. And very hard on Shafer. it. Effective today, JUST 44 days til kickoff, I'm all in. The 2014 slate is swept clean. Time to put on the Orange glasses. Here's to Lester surprising, Hunt realizing, and Shafer thriving!

I'm excited for camp to open and for the daily updates through August. And then Labor Day Weekend is the best weekend of the year as far as I am concerned. Friday night 9/4 is going to be awesome! Just like it was 28 years ago when I arrived on campus. Cannot wait. Looking forward to starting out 1-0!

Welcome aboard! Great to have some new blood on here. Just FYI - this will probably become apparent after awhile, but I'm probably the best poster here so be sure to read me. ;)

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am not worried about the people who are a bit frustrated when we lose (as long as they are not standing on building ledges ready to jump every time) or the ones who merely predict it will be close to whether we make it to a bowl game or not..when I say negative, I am speaking to the "fan" who stops me outside the Bridgeport Library telling me how much Syracuse sucks or constantly tweets or messages how bad this team, staff and players suck.

I honestly look at it like this: I take it one game at a times, I have faith we can win every game and I believe if you want to attract better recruits, you have to show them that the fan base is a family environment & not one who will turn on them when they may fumble. I do believe anything is possible, including SU winning the ACC but I do not expect everyone to see the world through my eyes...I just hope you are at least excited and optimistic and not asking, "When does basketball season begin again" before we have even played a down. Heck i am even fine with a bit of picking and frustrations but when that is all you do and you can't lift the players up and believe in the team, I tend to get frustrated and wonder why you are even a fan to begin with.

I am 42 and have been a Cuse football fan for as long as I can remember and every year I get excited for another season & I don't want that excitement taken from me because someone wants to harp on a season filled with major injuries and a huge offensive change midseason. Be "realistic" and we will get along fine but if you are that guy outside the library telling me we suck while wearing an SU shirt & I may have a short fuse.

Welcome, Orangechuck. I'm a relatively new member myself and am still trying to figure out the personalities.

There are a few posters who really seem to know what they're talking about (I'd love to know who they really are and what their background is) and a few who I swear are on their mommy's computer in the basement wearing their tighty whities.

But for the most part, we're just a bunch of fans who REALLY want to see the Orangemen get better. A few of us old farts remember when they actually were pretty good.

I've been very negative lately. And very hard on Shafer. it. Effective today, JUST 44 days til kickoff, I'm all in. The 2014 slate is swept clean. Time to put on the Orange glasses. Here's to Lester surprising, Hunt realizing, and Shafer thriving!

I'm excited for camp to open and for the daily updates through August. And then Labor Day Weekend is the best weekend of the year as far as I am concerned. Friday night 9/4 is going to be awesome! Just like it was 28 years ago when I arrived on campus. Cannot wait. Looking forward to starting out 1-0!

I can tell you that I used to have my bad moments too but one thing I have learned is that I enjoy it more when I view it through optimistic eyes and not worry about what "experts" say about the team. Do you know why coaches sometimes label the media as negative? It's because the medias job is to analyze the situation whereas a fan and coach generally try to accentuate the positives and push to get the most out of everyone. It is easy to fall into the trap when you over-read analysis & think that will help you predict the future but it is so much more fun being a fan when you put on those orange blinders and view it with optimism and excitement. :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am not worried about the people who are a bit frustrated when we lose (as long as they are not standing on building ledges ready to jump every time) or the ones who merely predict it will be close to whether we make it to a bowl game or not..when I say negative, I am speaking to the "fan" who stops me outside the Bridgeport Library telling me how much Syracuse sucks or constantly tweets or messages how bad this team, staff and players suck.

I honestly look at it like this: I take it one game at a times, I have faith we can win every game and I believe if you want to attract better recruits, you have to show them that the fan base is a family environment & not one who will turn on them when they may fumble. I do believe anything is possible, including SU winning the ACC but I do not expect everyone to see the world through my eyes...I just hope you are at least excited and optimistic and not asking, "When does basketball season begin again" before we have even played a down. Heck i am even fine with a bit of picking and frustrations but when that is all you do and you can't lift the players up and believe in the team, I tend to get frustrated and wonder why you are even a fan to begin with.

I am 42 and have been a Cuse football fan for as long as I can remember and every year I get excited for another season & I don't want that excitement taken from me because someone wants to harp on a season filled with major injuries and a huge offensive change midseason. Be "realistic" and we will get along fine but if you are that guy outside the library telling me we suck while wearing an SU shirt & I may have a short fuse.

That's gotta be Bridgeport, Connecticut --certainly not Bridgeport, New York!

northacuse said:
That's gotta be Bridgeport, Connecticut --certainly not Bridgeport, New York! . . . . . . . .

I know it's not Bridgeport, NY because I ran all the nonbelievers out of town long ago.

Have you been a member of the Nunes Magician board? I seem to recall an OrangeChuck over there.

In any case, Welcome, glad to have you!!

I can tell you that I used to have my bad moments too but one thing I have learned is that I enjoy it more when I view it through optimistic eyes and not worry about what "experts" say about the team. Do you know why coaches sometimes label the media as negative? It's because the medias job is to analyze the situation whereas a fan and coach generally try to accentuate the positives and push to get the most out of everyone. It is easy to fall into the trap when you over-read analysis & think that will help you predict the future but it is so much more fun being a fan when you put on those orange blinders and view it with optimism and excitement. :)
I've followed Syracuse since the 50's, seen a lot of bad years with the good, but I'm still a fan who looks at the start of every season as a clean slate. Welcome to the board.

Have you been a member of the Nunes Magician board? I seem to recall an OrangeChuck over there.

If he likes Tully's tenders, then yes! Same guy.

Last edited:

Yes that would be me. Sean is a great guy and I enjoy his blog. :)

Yes that would be me. Sean is a great guy and I enjoy his blog. :)

Weren't you the one that started the donations to send the underprivileged kids to the game last year? Nice work if I remember correctly.

Edit: Not last year, it was the Texas Bowl, my apologies.

Weren't you the one that started the donations to send the underprivileged kids to the game last year? Nice work if I remember correctly.

Edit: Not last year, it was the Texas Bowl, my apologies.
What is your screen name over there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom