Huh. Sounds like G expects to be starting PG | Syracusefan.com

Huh. Sounds like G expects to be starting PG

pearl31

in cahoots
Per Donna Ditota piece in today's PS

DD: He has hinted that he wants you to play point guard. What are your thoughts about that?

MG: I kind of like it. It's going to be the first time in my career I'm going to start at the point guard and then play it. It's kind of exciting and I'm ready for it.

DD: So you're planning to be the starting point guard at the season-opener?

MG: The decision is ultimately not mine, but if it could go that way, yeah, I would like that.

Last edited:
I really think the team will be better if Kaleb can (effectively) play PG and Mike can play on the wing

That's my preference also. I'm a little surprised about his comments but it's up to Kaleb to prove him wrong. I like he is preparing for the possibility though - because it seems like all possibilities are possible for us lately :)

Any lineup with MG at the PG would probably put MG on the backline on defense (since Malachi is probably too small to play the wing defensively), rendering our defense up top scary bad again. The bottom line is that Malachi is not a good defender, so I'm afraid our defense up top will be awful... again.

Any lineup with MG at the PG would probably put MG on the backline on defense (since Malachi is probably too small to play the wing defensively), rendering our defense up top scary bad again. The bottom line is that Malachi is not a good defender, so I'm afraid our defense up top will be awful... again.
My thoughts too, thats why I left him out of my projected lineup. If he can't defend, JB won't play him. He doesn't compromise with that.

This is funny. Why he considered not returning:

MG:
Yeah, I did. That's more because if I came back, I would have to take classes. And no one wants to take classes.

(His dad interjects: "This is going in print." Mike: "That's fine.")

th

This is funny. Why he considered not returning:

MG:
Yeah, I did. That's more because if I came back, I would have to take classes. And no one wants to take classes.

(His dad interjects: "This is going in print." Mike: "That's fine.")

th

I felt the same way by my senior year in college so I'll let him slide on that.

I would think that if Not So Silent G starts at PG, it is unlikely that the SF spot that opens up is going to go to Malachi. That would be an extremely perimeter oriented team that is very weak inside, especially if DC2 is still hurt and can't play.

I see Malachi as less ready to play than TL or MD. Really just brings outside shooting to the team at this point in his career and I question if he will be ready to get open and hit shots against quality defenses that early in his career. It is a huge adjustment for a jump shooter that few have made at Syracuse.

Would expect Lydon or Diagne would get the nod instead. Probably Diagne if DC2 can't go and Lydon if he can.

I would think that if Not So Silent G starts at PG, it is unlikely that the SF spot that opens up is going to go to Malachi. That would be an extremely perimeter oriented team that is very weak inside, especially if DC2 is still hurt and can't play.

I see Malachi as less ready to play than TL or MD. Really just brings outside shooting to the team at this point in his career and I question if he will be ready to get open and hit shots against quality defenses that early in his career. It is a huge adjustment for a jump shooter that few have made at Syracuse.

Would expect Lydon or Diagne would get the nod instead. Probably Diagne if DC2 can't go and Lydon if he can.

I agree. Good post. My point is our defense up top is going to suck any time Malachi is in the game.

Diagne is being underrated by many people on this board. He will at worst be a tremendous physical presence. He doesn't look like a freshman at all and will be ready for the rigors of playing up front on both ends.

Last edited:
Bottom line, from where I'm sitting...
for the team to be its best we'll need: Kaleb playing solid PG 30+ minutes/game, G playing most of his offensive minutes on the wing, DCII healthy and effective enough to go 20+ minutes/game at the 5.

It will be a long year if Kaleb isn't productive.

I'm not expecting much from the freshmen.

I agree. Good post. My point is our defense up top is going to suck any time Malachi is in the game.

Diagne is being underrated by many people on this board. He will at worst be a tremendous physical presence. He doesn't look like a freshman at all and will be ready for the rigors of playing up front on both ends.
Agree with you. Stapha is the most ready of the frosh. I think there might be some problems having DC2 and MD on the court at the same time but you couple those two with TRob at SF and Silent G and TC in the backcourt and you have a really good rebounding team that can hurt you inside. If TRob or MD can hit a 15 foot jumper, that would be an interesting lineup to watch play.

That being said, I agree with those saying the play of Kaleb is going to be really important for this team to be successful. With him at the point, we could run the ball, get more steals and get more easy baskets. We would match up speed wise a lot better with good teams and would not be as susceptible to getting beat down the court by a quick team.

Don't really want to see a slow and plodding team walking the ball up the court and milking the clock possession after possession. Let's play some Syracuse basketball this season and press the pace a bit.

Agree with you. Stapha is the most ready of the frosh. I think there might be some problems having DC2 and MD on the court at the same time but you couple those two with TRob at SF and Silent G and TC in the backcourt and you have a really good rebounding team that can hurt you inside. If TRob or MD can hit a 15 foot jumper, that would be an interesting lineup to watch play.

That being said, I agree with those saying the play of Kaleb is going to be really important for this team to be successful. With him at the point, we could run the ball, get more steals and get more easy baskets. We would match up speed wise a lot better with good teams and would not be as susceptible to getting beat down the court by a quick team.

Don't really want to see a slow and plodding team walking the ball up the court and milking the clock possession after possession. Let's play some Syracuse basketball this season and press the pace a bit.

Great post.

I'll add that people get too hung up on positions. G is going to play some point [just as a function of his versatility, the ball will be in his hands]. He'll do so both with KJ out there at times, without him, and playing in various other lineups. But even if he plays the "1" on offense, he's still likely to be a "3" on defense--so what position is he?

Roberson might be able to swing to 3 because he has the mobility to defend there in the zone, but that's not his ideal position for anything longer than short stints. His offensive game is much better suited for the 4, even though he lacks the bulk you'd traditionally associate with that position. Lydon can play two positions [and probably will have to back up the 4, due to lack of depth there], Diagne can play two positions, Richardson might be able to play two positions, etc.

I don't think we need to get locked into playing any group of players corresponding to the traditional notion of the five positions. It will be interesting to see which lineup combinations prove to be the most effective.

But the bottom line is that I don't see G running the point in the traditional sense, because I don't think that would be what is best for next year's team. If KJ is woefully incapable, then yeah--G will play the point because he'd be our best option [with all due respect to incoming frosh, Howard, who I think will need a year]. But I don't envision that being the case. And as Tomcat adroitly points out, I don't want to see plodding basketball -- I want to see explosive basketball with more run outs and better shooting than what we had last year. The pieces of the puzzle are in place for that to happen, depending on where some players are on their developmental curves after an off-season of work.

Last edited:
Great post.

I'll add that people get too hung up on positions. G is going to play some point [just as a function of his versatility, the ball will be in his hands]. He'll do so both with KJ out there at times, without him, and playing in various other lineups. But even if he plays the "1" on offense, he's still likely to be a "3" on defense--so what position is he?

Roberson might be able to swing to 3 because he has the mobility to defend there in the zone, but his offensive game is as a stretch 4. Lydon can play two positions [and probably will have to back up the 4, due to lack of depth there], Diagne can play two positions, Richardson might be able to play two positions, etc.

I don't think we need to get locked into playing any group of players corresponding to the traditional notion of the five positions. It will be interesting to see which lineup combinations prove to be the most effective.

But the bottom line is that I don't see G running the point in the traditional sense, because I don't think that would be what is best for next year's team. If KJ is woefully incapable, then yeah. But I don't envision that being the case. And as Tomcat adroitly points out, I don't want to see plodding basketball -- I want to see explosive basketball with more run outs and better shooting than what we had last year. The pieces of the puzzle are in place for that to happen, depending on where some players are on their developmental curves after an off-season of work.
well put, RF

Yes, I think it's imperative that TRob becomes at least a threat on the perimeter. I've seen Moustapha play a few times and he can definitely hit a 15 footer; it's not a strength but it's in his arsenal.

I have no doubt at all that right now, silent G is the starting pt guard. It could change of course, we don't play any time soon. However, don't sleep on Lydon.

Yes, I think it's imperative that TRob becomes at least a threat on the perimeter. I've seen Moustapha play a few times and he can definitely hit a 15 footer; it's not a strength but it's in his arsenal.

Scouting reports I've read said no jumpshot at all and very little post game. I'm really not expecting any offense out of him at all to be honest.

Roberson was supposed to be a passable 3pt shooter with an automatic mid range jumper coming here.

I'm honestly not sure how ready MD will be when he gets here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom