Hunt denied again | Syracusefan.com

Hunt denied again

SUFaninNJ

Living Legend
Just got an alert from BR that his appeal was denied.

SUFaninNJ said:
Just got an alert from BR that his appeal was denied.

Way to go NCAA. Love the day after the SB announcement.

Then I don't understand the 6th year rule. It seems to me Hunt would be a textbook case for allowing the kid an extra year. I honestly feel like it's a vendetta on the part of the NCAA

It was pretty cut and dry, Terrell, unfortunately, just had some very bad luck.

I'm pretty confident he'll do well wherever he goes, good luck to him.

Then I don't understand the 6th year rule. It seems to me Hunt would be a textbook case for allowing the kid an extra year. I honestly feel like it's a vendetta on the part of the NCAA
It's not any sort of vendetta. To think otherwise is silly.

The rules state that a player can be granted one medical hardship waiver OR one red-shirt during a five year period. Hunt red-shirted his freshman year. Therefore, he's not eligible for a medical hardship waiver.

Unfortunate for Terrell but not surprising at all. The rule is what it is, not any vendetta in this case. Good luck to Terrell with wherever life takes him.

It's not any sort of vendetta. To think otherwise is silly.

The rules state that a player can be granted one medical hardship waiver OR one red-shirt during a five year period. Hunt red-shirted his freshman year. Therefore, he's not eligible for a medical hardship waiver.
It's not like they are going to setup a rule regarding players who had 2 season ending injuries early in the season...that's the point of petitioning...to bring up special circumstances so the spirit of the rule is adhered to for cases that don't fit into the narrow definition,

Last edited:
. It's not like they are going to setup a rule regarding players who had 2 season ending injuries early in the season...that's the point of petitioning...to bring up special circumstances so the spirit of th. rule is adhered to for cases that don't fit into the narrow definition,

Actually, the NCAA does tend to grant players a 6th year of eligibility if they missed TWO full seasons with injuries. Hunt doesn't qualify.

2011: Redshirted (non-injury related).
2012: Freshman year, played on special teams
2013: Sophomore year, played 10 games
2014: Junior year, played in 5 games before injury (NCAA cutoff is 4 games)
2015: Senior year, played in 1 game before injury.

The sad fact is Hunt only missed 1 full season under NCAA rules. If he had been injured earlier in 2014, he might have received the waiver.

Similar situation to Ben Mauk.

Remember... Syracuse ended his season at Wake in the first game of the season? He had already used a red shirt year, though he claimed that was injury related as well. He was a graduate transfer to Cincy and played there for one season. He petitioned to get a 6th year to make up for his last year at Wake, but was denied by the NCAA. Mauk was turned down 5 times by the NCAA.

A few years back, didn't some hoops player at Purdue get like 12 redshirts?

Dan Conley
Actually, the NCAA does tend to grant players a 6th year of eligibility if they missed TWO full seasons with injuries. Hunt doesn't qualify.

The sad fact is Hunt only missed 1 full season under NCAA rules. If he had been injured earlier in 2014, he might have received the waiver.
Right...they tend to bend the actual rules sometimes depending on the circumstances. That was my point.

Dan Conley redshirted in '89. Played in 1990. Injured (first?) game of 1991. Played 1992. Didn't suit up in 1993. He petitioned the NCAA for a "6th" year because by the rules he was no longer eligible to play... and got it and played 9 games in 1994.

Dan Conley

Right...they tend to bend the actual rules sometimes depending on the circumstances. That was my point.

Dan Conley redshirted in '89. Played in 1990. Injured (first?) game of 1991. Played 1992. Didn't suit up in 1993. He petitioned the NCAA for a "6th" year because by the rules he was no longer eligible to play... and got it and played 9 games in 1994.

Conley withdrew from SU in 1993 for medical reasons. Since he wasn't enrolled in classes, he petitioned that his eligibility clock should have paused in '93 and restarted in '94.

Conley withdrew from SU in 1993 for medical reasons. Since he wasn't enrolled in classes, he petitioned that his eligibility clock should have paused in '93 and restarted in '94.
Either way, he was not eligible to play in 1994 under the rules. That's why he had to petition the NCAA to get an exception to the rule. Under the rules he was not eligible. The NCAA granted the exception based on the spirit of the rule. The same thing could have been done with Hunt.

Either way, he was not eligible to play in 1994 under the rules. That's why he had to petition the NCAA to get an exception to the rule. Under the rules he was not eligible. The NCAA granted the exception based on the spirit of the rule. The same thing could have been done with Hunt.

But even in your example, Conley didn't play more than the 30 percent guideline in either season that he was injured. Hey I wish Terrell got another year. We could use the QB depth and he's a great kid. But I would have been surprised if he got another year based on the rule.

But even in your example, Conley didn't play more than the 30 percent guideline in either season that he was injured. Hey I wish Terrell got another year. We could use the QB depth and he's a great kid. But I would have been surprised if he got another year based on the rule.
Strictly under NCAA rules, Conley was not eligible for a 6th year... like Hunt. That's why they both petitioned.

Strictly under NCAA rules, Conley was not eligible for a 6th year... like Hunt. That's why they both petitioned.

Conley played in less than 30% of the games in 1991, and he missed all of 1993.

Hunt played in more than 30% of the games in 2014.

Apples and oranges.

Conley played in less than 30% of the games in 1991, and he missed all of 1993.

Hunt played in more than 30% of the games in 2014.

Apples and oranges.
Different rules at different times. Of course if Hunt's situation had fit the NCAA rules, he would not have had to petition for a 6th year. Same with Conley.

"Examples like Matt Mullennix, who played for Washington State and got his sixth year granted after missing all of 2006 with an injury, and had previously played four games before getting injured in 2004. I know what you’re thinking, too: Mullennix played in fewer games than Hunt, therefore he’s a different case, right?

Not necessarily. Yes, Hunt played in more than 30% of the team’s games, but so did Mullennix, since WSU played 11 games that season – meaning he participated in 36% of his team’s games (compared to 41% for Hunt last season). The NCAA rules are ever changing of course, so you may be wondering if perhaps, in 2008 when Mullennix was granted his waiver, the maximum was a higher percentage, right? Well, it wasn’t. In 2008, as in 2015, that maximum was still 30% of all games played by a student-athletes team. So why was Mullennix granted his sixth year, but Hunt was not?

I’m not picking on Matt Mullennix, either, by the way. I think he was deserving of his sixth year, just as I think Hunt is deserving of a sixth year as well. It was in the best interest of the student-athlete for Mullennix to receive an extra year of eligibility, and the NCAA apparently agreed in 2008. So what’s changed, and why is it so difficult for the NCAA to be consistent for once?"

I think there was even an example of a kid getting a 7th year. we have had 6 year kids before

"Examples like Matt Mullennix, who played for Washington State and got his sixth year granted after missing all of 2006 with an injury, and had previously played four games before getting injured in 2004. I know what you’re thinking, too: Mullennix played in fewer games than Hunt, therefore he’s a different case, right?

Not necessarily. Yes, Hunt played in more than 30% of the team’s games, but so did Mullennix, since WSU played 11 games that season – meaning he participated in 36% of his team’s games (compared to 41% for Hunt last season). The NCAA rules are ever changing of course, so you may be wondering if perhaps, in 2008 when Mullennix was granted his waiver, the maximum was a higher percentage, right? Well, it wasn’t. In 2008, as in 2015, that maximum was still 30% of all games played by a student-athletes team. So why was Mullennix granted his sixth year, but Hunt was not?

I’m not picking on Matt Mullennix, either, by the way. I think he was deserving of his sixth year, just as I think Hunt is deserving of a sixth year as well. It was in the best interest of the student-athlete for Mullennix to receive an extra year of eligibility, and the NCAA apparently agreed in 2008. So what’s changed, and why is it so difficult for the NCAA to be consistent for once?"

The NCAA rounds up to the nearest whole game.

30% of 11 games is 3.3
30% of 12 games is 3.6

Rounded up to 4 games.

Mullinnix played in 4 games, Hunt played in 5 games.

he got 6.
rs 96
played in 97
played all 98
played all 99
got hurt in game 2 2000
got a 6th yr.

vs hunt
rs
played
played
got hurt game 5
got hurt game 1
denied

johnson played more and got a 6th yr.

It really sucks for Terrel, but let's think about it from the NCAA's point of view. If they let a kid who played 5 games get another year, why not allow a kid that played 6 games, and so on and so on. This is a cut and dry case that has a sh!tty backstory.

If Hunt wasn't such a great human interest story I don't think there would be as much outrage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom