Hypothesizing isn't journalism. | Syracusefan.com

Hypothesizing isn't journalism.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
The Post Standard/Syracuse.com is as bad as any other media outlet when it comes to reporting information based on facts. Having an article on the front page about what might happen if we have committed unsaid NCAA violations leaves open a ton of variables that to me is just an article to get more clicks on a page instead of actually reporting on factual information.

This type of hypothetical garbage feeds into the what and if scenarios.

Syracuse.com/Syracuse Post Standard have gone overkill in their coverage. It's been the same two Nate Mink and Chris Carlson for the most part.

Jason Murray joining the fold this morning. Ditota and Waters won't go there because they know Boeheim will shut them out. Their philosophy is lets get the B team together and throw mud and see what sticks!

I thought yesterday's article was somewhat interesting when it talked about past punishments that programs have gotten for different violations. But yeah, I didn't really need to rehash the whole 1993 ordeal like Jason Murray did this morning. Thanks for those great memories to start my day! And Bud's article was well... his usual work.

I thought yesterday's article was somewhat interesting when it talked about past punishments that programs have gotten for different violations. But yeah, I didn't really need to rehash the whole 1993 ordeal like Jason Murray did this morning. Thanks for those great memories to start my day! And Bud's article was well... his usual work.

I have to love that they keep saying Boeheim refuses to comment on the situation. He has no choice. The NCAA has told him he can't comment.

I have to love that they keep saying Boeheim refuses to comment on the situation. He has no choice. The NCAA has told him he can't comment.

That's a good point. They make it seem like he is trying to dodge talking about the situation when that's not exactly the case.

That's a good point. They make it seem like he is trying to dodge talking about the situation when that's not exactly the case.
I'm told that's just what the leader of a renegade program does.

Or maybe that's what hack journalists do when they're trying to drive eyeballs to their website and sell copies of their fishwrap.

I'm told that's just what the leader of a renegade program does.

Or maybe that's what hack journalists do when they're trying to drive eyeballs to their website and sell copies of their fishwrap.

Or it's just a BS smokescreen so people don't concentrate all their gaze on UNC.

Chris Carlson latest piece Guide to the NCAA Hearing.

Piece, after Piece of speculation, and hypothesizing as you said.

It's a newspaper, so they're going to report what they consider news. The hearing is news, no way around it. It was also expected that Lang/Davis would rear its ugly head after the (another awkwardly-reasoned) decision by the COA. That said, if the PS cares what its readers are thinking, there is much that can be done to improve. For starters:

1- What's with all the redundancy? Pick a place to post your 'investigation' article and go with it. We don't need to see the same content in every single SU sports category. FB, BB ... alright already. If your reasoning is that the hearing covers two sports, then write it once and provide a link in the other section. Posting the full article repetitively just crowds out other information and tries readers' patience (trust me on this);

2- Stop waiting until BB season starts, or the NCAA's are about to begin, to flood the sports section with scandal pieces. Not only is it annoying, it's downright suspicious. Since scandals don't just happen in October and March, publishing a spate of accusatory "reports" at these peak interest points creates the impression that hits, not contemporaneous reporting, are your real goal;

3- What's with the hyper-attention given to controversial subjects? Yes, we get it. There's a hearing. You don't need all hands on deck to regurgitate "timelines" of every recent accusation leveled at the University, links to probation 25 years ago, etc... You'd think EBOLA had hit the MELO center -- the attention is more spectacular than the issue. Eventually, of course, the NCAA will rule on the seriousness of SU's academic compliance missteps. Until then, no matter what happened with Fab or James, give it a rest. If you're genuinely concerned about systemic institutional fraud in the ACC, fly south;

4- Stop quoting Yahoo as a source. They're out to burn SU and your readership doesn't give a hoot what they "report". Their animus towards the 'Cuse is obvious, beginning with their attack pieces at the tale end of the penn state saga. At that time, anxious to ride the last waves of Sanduski hysteria (i.e., ratings), Yahoo dispatched Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to central NY for the ostensible purpose of investigating Lang/Davis. It wasn't long before a broader, more hateful, plan became apparent -- dig up dirt on SU and throw it to sell advertising. They were trying to fry us any way possible, as we saw with the hatchet job they did on the "drug scandal". Knowledgeable readers who read that particular piece of "journalism" will remember that the author's accusations boiled down to ONE player who supposedly failed several tests and still played (no time line was reported). Along the way, however, they misunderstood SU's policy, engaged in speculation and hyperbole, attempted to drag JB through the mud without justification (drug tests were reported to JC, not JB), etc.. etc.. The only thing "multiple" about the drug scandal was Yahoo's unfounded accusations. Their "work" on Lang Davis was similarly slanted and sensationalized. So in the future, I'd rather see you cite the national inquirer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom