Hypothetical playoff scenario | Syracusefan.com

Hypothetical playoff scenario

Eric15

Living Legend
Alabama runs the table and goes 13-0.
Georgia goes 12-1. Their loss is in a very competitive SEC Title game where they lose by say a TD.
ND goes 12-1 beating Miami and Stanford down the stretch.
Clemson goes 12-1 beating NC State and Va Tech/Miami down the stretch.
Ohio State goes 12-1 beating MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin down the stretch.
Oklahoma goes 12-1 beating Okla State and TCU down the stretch.

What would be the Top 4 in this scenario? Would Georgia drop from #1 to outside the Top 4 if their only loss is to Bama in a close game? Does 1-loss Oklahoma have to be ahead of 1-loss Ohio State? Does 1-loss Georgia have to be ahead of 1-loss Notre Dame?

Georgia goes 12-1. Their loss is in a very competitive SEC Title game where they lose by say a TD.

What would be the Top 4 in this scenario? Would Georgia drop from #1 to outside the Top 4 if their only loss is to Bama in a close game? Does 1-loss Oklahoma have to be ahead of 1-loss Ohio State? Does 1-loss Georgia have to be ahead of 1-loss Notre Dame?

ND out - 1 less game, head to head loss with Georgia.

Oklahoma is already ahead of Ohio State, based on head to head.

I think it would be:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma

Damn I thought this was going to be about a whacky way Syracuse could make the playoffs.

No one said that can’t be one of your answers.

Bama
Clemson
Ohio St
Georgia

Bama and Clemson are obvious.

Georgia would have @ND in their back pocket, and also Auburn
Ohio St is starting to look the part. That, plus a W over undefeated Wisconsin, in a de facto quarterfinal game, would be enough to push them past Oklahoma, who hasn't looked as good defensively as they had to start the season.

I would love it because it would send the B12 into a murderous rage. After getting left out again (assuming it happens) with one of their schools winning head to head at tOSU, who theoretically makes it, would be a meltdown of epic proportions. Combine that with the outcry from ND will be can't miss TV for a few weeks. Plus, selfishly, I hope it pushes ND closer to realizing they need the ACC, and the playoffs expanding to 8 programs (The 5 conference winners, and 3 WC's).

I dont get the whole arg that OK is better than OSU because they beat them 11 weeks ago thing. or the fact that good wins mean more than bad losses. how someone plays 1 game means something but how they play 11-12 other games means something too.

I dont get the whole arg that OK is better than OSU because they beat them 11 weeks ago thing. or the fact that good wins mean more than bad losses. how someone plays 1 game means something but how they play 11-12 other games means something too.

I agree. I think the committee has said that they only use head to head when 2 teams are equal.

Sure, a head to head W should count for something, but if these teams were to play this weekend I think tOSU wins by a couple td's. Again, this isn't to discount Oklahoma's W in week 2, that is on their resume, but it shouldn't mean they can't fall behind tOSU from here on out.

The reason Ohio State made the CFP last year was there win at Oklahoma.
They didn’t win their division or conference.

If the committee is consistent Ohio State is in trouble if Oklahoma does the same.

They make it 8 teams like they should have in the first place. First game before Christmas. Second New Year's Eve. Championship a week and change later. The world explodes w happiness

They make it 8 teams like they should have in the first place. First game before Christmas. Second New Year's Eve. Championship a week and change later. The world explodes w happiness

It's just too simple. Makes too much sense.

Ohio State is behind Oklahoma now. They aren’t passing them if they both run the table.

Bama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia

Clemson winning out will be great for the future of the conference. If Notre Dame and Clemson both make it, the other conferences (mainly the B1G) make a big stink to make sure that auto bids go to the conference champs. Probably expand to 6 or 8. If Notre Dame wins out and is left out due to the B1G getting in along with Clemson, their lack of a conference championship is the reason and they are inclined to join the ACC, putting the conference on a clear level above the Big 12 and Pac 12.

If Georgia only loses to the #1 team in the country on a neutral field they are not dropping out of the top 4.

Bama
Georgia
Notre Dame
Clemson

I just want the best teams. we beat Clemson does that make us better than them? NOPE because other games showed we are not. its crazy that only loses show you are worse in some cases and only good wins matter in others.

if OSU/OK played today OSU would be favored

What if your scenario plays out but Wisconsin runs the table with only the Big Ten title game being against a ranked team? Do they get left out?

I just want the best teams. we beat Clemson does that make us better than them? NOPE because other games showed we are not. its crazy that only loses show you are worse in some cases and only good wins matter in others.

if OSU/OK played today OSU would be favored

Head to head with a 4 loss team doesn't matter. Head to head is a tie-breaker between teams with national championship records. The playoff itself is head to head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom