I ask this with all sincerity (UVa - SU comparison) | Syracusefan.com

I ask this with all sincerity (UVa - SU comparison)

SU94

Starter
Why do all of the national pundits/magazines, etc., believe that we are behind Virginia? It is almost universal.

To be fair, before we added Gillon, White and Thompson, I would have easily agreed. We were likely behind 6-7 other teams before those late additions. But the bottom line is, JAB does have these 3 at his disposal this year.

Yes, we lost Silent G, Cooney and Malachi. But they lost Tobey, Gill and Brogdon. You could best argue that they lost more, but it is at least close.

Bennett is a great young coach. Boeheim is a HOF Coach. Call this one a push. Bennett is high quality. JAB is ... one of a kind.

Both have strong recruiting classes coming in. No distinct advantage either way, although their class is 4 deep, ours was 3 deep. It'll be interesting to see who is more impactful between T.Battle and Kyle Guy (their top new face).

I just like our roster much, much better and personally, I see UVa floating in and out of the Top 25 this coming year. Sort of like a typical ND season. Likely much more dangerous in early March than in December, especially thanks to Bennett.

Perrantes is excellent, and he'll score more this year, but I think he had the space to excel because of the 3 seniors who departed, especially Brogdon and Gill. So, he'll have to make an adjustment.

Beyond the ACC's resident finger sniffer, their top returning scorer is Isaiah Wilkins at 4.6 ppg. They have other talented/athletic options, but none have DONE it, and that his is my underlying point. They have a good number of unknowns.

The Wahoos do have a transfer of note coming in, Austin Nichols, who was a top 30-ish player and averaged 11-12 ppg in 2 seasons at Memphis (and is stout defensively). Which begs the question, has any transfer ever executed a greater academic upgrade than Nichols? Good for him.

To be fair, perhaps one could lay many similar arguments "against" SU. Who do we have coming back? We are a bit of an unknown too. But we know we have (in no particular order) ...

Roberson: A certified double-double threat every night
White: An NBA talent who finished 6th in B1G in scoring last year. Great shooter.
Gillon: A double-digit jet from the Mountain West Conference. Very good shooter.
Battle: A Top 30 recruit, who JAB seems to be enamored with as much as any frosh in 5-10 years
Lydon: A first-round talent, potential Lottery pick. Strong shooter for his size
Coleman: A strong 23-year-old man with one year left and is healthier than we have ever seen him
Moyer: A top 60-ish recruit from talent-rich Ohio
Thompson: A 6-foot-10 top 75 recruit with a surprisingly advanced offensive game
Howard: A top 50-60 recruit from DC that is a great distributor & appears to have taken great strides
Paschal: A top 75 recruit transfer that is 7-foot-2 and will allow us to press whenever we so choose

This whole narrative of Duke, UNC and UVa bunched at the top is a bit perplexing to me. Hey, I could be wrong ("I didn't know) - Dino). I think we're at least among that grouping, with the potential for more if White really meshes with his new teammates.

I know of their frosh coming in Kyle Guy is the one that'll see a ton of minutes immediately. They did lose a lot, and I agree about Perrentes(sp?) I think he will find it much more difficult now being the #1 or #2 option behind maybe A.N. I haven't seen Nichols play, but his stats seemed very solid at Memphis, we will have to see how he deals with being the main guy down there. All in all, I think nationally people almost just assume they will be elite again...but we haven't really seen what Bennet can do when he doesn't have a bevy of experienced all American seniors on roster. If it were up to me I'd put them in the 15-25 range, but top 10 is crazy imo.

I chalk it up to lazy sports writing, and going with the devil they know.

UVa is coming off of a strong couple of years, so they bump up a bit in terms of perception. All most sports writers know about us is that we lost our top three scorers.

USA Today published their annual college basketball preview on Friday, and they had us picked to finish 10th in the ACC. TENTH! The only way that is even remotely explainable is for whoever compiled the rankings to not be familiar with the personnel we added, at all, which is lazy sports writing.

Humorously, they also had an article about Andrew White, amongst many other articles comprising the hoops preview. In that article, the writer referred to SU as a national title contender. So, in the article we are a NC contender, but in the ratings they have us as the 10th best team in our conference. Sounds like one writer was a bit more informed than the other.

Why do all of the national pundits/magazines, etc., believe that we are behind Virginia? It is almost universal.

I dunno. This seems extremely homerish. You find every potential positive for UVA and call it an unknown and take everything about SU and call it a positive (including the unknowns). We're fans, I get it. But it doesn't exactly imbue your thesis will much credibility, ya know?

Are we being undervalued? Yeah it looks like it. But that doesn't mean UVA is being overvalued. Maybe they are. The season will play out.

I dunno. This seems extremely homerish. You find every potential positive for UVA and call it an unknown and take everything about SU and call it a positive (including the unknowns). We're fans, I get it. But it doesn't exactly imbue your thesis will much credibility, ya know?

Are we being undervalued? Yeah it looks like it. But that doesn't mean UVA is being overvalued. Maybe they are. The season will play out.
Yes and no. I am a SU fan/alum and an admirer of Virginia's program/Bennett. I think I was fair to UVa and Bennett. No hatchet jobs on anyone there in my post, one small jab at Perrantes and his propensity to smell his fingers, but that was in good fun. He's a really really good player (All-America caliber). Can be as good as anyone at that position IMHO. But he does have to come out and prove he can do it on his own. He's never had to.

My point is that they have 2 proven scorers and then the drop off is rather sharp. Now, past circumstances tells up that a bunch of guys are going to average more than 5.0 ppg. Opportunities are being presented in Bennett's program, which is pretty deep and talented, and someone is going to seize it. We just don't know who or to what degree. You don't know. I don't know. Tony Bennett MIGHT know (or at least have an inclination).

I just think that SU's roster contains a much greater number of established players, and in most cases, we know who they are and what they represent. The only matter is how do they fit together. And fortunately, JAB is really good at this. I'd be surprised, but not shocked, if SU wasn't a better squad this year than the Cavaliers. Longer term, UVa is in a really good place.

I think Virginia is getting the benefit of the doubt for a few reasons

1) They have been AWESOME the last few years. They've finished 2nd/1st/1st in the ACC regular season the last 3 years. That's an incredible accomplishment. Now, they do lose their 2 best players, which leads me to
2) Their impact transfer, Austin Nichols, is a conventional transfer, he committed a year ago or whatever it was. So it's been in everyone's mind for that entire time he's been coming to UVA. White, on the other hand, committed what, 2 months ago? Easy for that to get lost in the shuffle. Nichols is going to be very good, and I think they have him for 2 years, but Andrew White could easily be better this year.

They lost a lot (as did we). They might be getting a little benefit of the doubt that one or two of their younger players from last year or recruits from this year will step up.

OP raises legit question. Uva has become one of the media darlings and Syracuse is a better team on paper this year. I really think it will be proven on the court as well when uva comes to the dome in early Feb

I actually live in Charlottesville and have been a season ticket holder for the past 5 seasons, and my take is that Syracuse is being a little underrated and that UVa is being rated about right. I think we will win this year because we're playing UVa at the Dome, but if we were at the John, then UVa would likely win. Both teams are very good and pretty close to each other in talent. Here's my take on some of UVa's best players:

London Perrantes - one of the best PGs in the country. great ball handler who doesn't turn the ball over, and he shot 50% from 3 last year.

Austin Nichols - could be playing in the NBA this season if he hadn't transferred. He's that good on both ends of the court. He looked really good in their scrimmage yesterday.

Kyle Guy - his rep is as a lights out shooter from behind the arc, but from what i saw in the scrimmage, he can do much more than that, particularly driving to the basket. He can replace Brogdon's offense, the only question is can he replace Brogdon's defense.

Darius Thompson - he might actually start at the 2 this year over Guy, he was already a solid player but it looks like he's taken a step forward

Marial Shayok - very talented, athletic wing who was inconsistent early in his career, but if he puts it together this year, watch out.

Isiaih Wilkins - solid player, nothing special, but is needed to provide a little size down low. decent role player.

Mamadi Diakite - practiced with the team last year. very talented kid that the UVa fans in town are very excited about. the problem was he needed to put on weight to play down low. he's already put some on. if he's put on enough, he'll be a very good big.

And this doesn't include 3 of their other 4 star freshmen coming in that i'm not too familiar with. Bottom line is both teams will see their share of time in the top ten this year. But I think head to head in a neutral court we can take them. Again! I'm really excited about our team this year - Go Cuse!

Yes and no. I am a SU fan/alum and an admirer of Virginia's program/Bennett. I think I was fair to UVa and Bennett. No hatchet jobs on anyone there in my post, one small jab at Perrantes and his propensity to smell his fingers, but that was in good fun. He's a really really good player (All-America caliber). Can be as good as anyone at that position IMHO. But he does have to come out and prove he can do it on his own. He's never had to.

My point is that they have 2 proven scorers and then the drop off is rather sharp. Now, past circumstances tells up that a bunch of guys are going to average more than 5.0 ppg. Opportunities are being presented in Bennett's program, which is pretty deep and talented, and someone is going to seize it. We just don't know who or to what degree. You don't know. I don't know. Tony Bennett MIGHT know (or at least have an inclination).

I just think that SU's roster contains a much greater number of established players, and in most cases, we know who they are and what they represent. The only matter is how do they fit together. And fortunately, JAB is really good at this. I'd be surprised, but not shocked, if SU wasn't a better squad this year than the Cavaliers. Longer term, UVa is in a really good place.

I don't think the Perrantes stuff is wrong. It's also something that probably never comes up if you're a fan of the team imo. If it were SU it'd just be "well he was good and now he's a year older so he'll be as good or better. Moving on..".

I know of their frosh coming in Kyle Guy is the one that'll see a ton of minutes immediately. They did lose a lot, and I agree about Perrentes(sp?) I think he will find it much more difficult now being the #1 or #2 option behind maybe A.N. I haven't seen Nichols play, but his stats seemed very solid at Memphis, we will have to see how he deals with being the main guy down there. All in all, I think nationally people almost just assume they will be elite again...but we haven't really seen what Bennet can do when he doesn't have a bevy of experienced all American seniors on roster. If it were up to me I'd put them in the 15-25 range, but top 10 is crazy imo.
OMG. Avatar of the Century. Well done.

Here is my take -

Roberson - no evidence he can score unless it is a dunk.
White - nothing proven at the ACC level
Gillon - too short to do much
Battle - you never know with a frosh
Lydon - he had a lucky season
Coleman - no hops
Moyer - too big a hill to climb after his injury
Thompson - committed too late to matter
Howard - makes Roberson's shot look smooth as silk
Paschal - only a shotblocker...maybe......

We will be horrid - keep that mindset - that is when Jimmy does his best work !!!

I think UNC is more overrated. I Do think we have the 2nd or 3rd best roster in the conference at WORST.

Duke is getting there, too, with their two best freshmen now injured.

Here is my take -

Roberson - no evidence he can score unless it is a dunk.
White - nothing proven at the ACC level
Gillon - too short to do much
Battle - you never know with a frosh
Lydon - he had a lucky season
Coleman - no hops
Moyer - too big a hill to climb after his injury
Thompson - committed too late to matter
Howard - makes Roberson's shot look smooth as silk
Paschal - only a shotblocker...maybe...

We will be horrid - keep that mindset - that is when Jimmy does his best work !!!

White - Disagree. The Big 10 is roughly equal to the ACC.
Gillon - Disagree. Jonny Flynn wasn't very big either. He gives us a change of pace at PG and can run the break really well.
Lydon - Disagree. Malachi had a lucky run in the tournament, and really, just had one good game at the right time.

The other stuff, I won't argue. Those are fair points that a glass half empty person would make when looking at our roster.

Just sweeter when we beat them. Outside of the elite 8, UVA's owned us in the recent past. We'll be preseason favored over them, not that it matters, once we start consistently beating them. Head to head matters when you're both top 20 teams.

White - Disagree. The Big 10 is roughly equal to the ACC.
Gillon - Disagree. Jonny Flynn wasn't very big either. He gives us a change of pace at PG and can run the break really well.
Lydon - Disagree. Malachi had a lucky run in the tournament, and really, just had one good game at the right time.

The other stuff, I won't argue. Those are fair points that a glass half empty person would make when looking at our roster.
You obviously missed my sarcastic intent. I love this team & I am totally on board with OP.

The only thing I was "serious" about in my post was that Jimmy does his best when we are underrated and underdogs, so I like us in that role, which is why I made the post.

Virginia is one of those tough physical teams that will always give us trouble. And they have a score to settle. They will be very tough to beat this year.

Virginia is one of those tough physical teams that will always give us trouble. And they have a score to settle. They will be very tough to beat this year.

Virginia is not a physical team. They are a good defensive team but being physical and playing good defense is not synonymous.

tony bennett is a great coach, but this face is what i will forever think of when i hear his name. dude was freakin SHELL SHOCKED!! "what...why...how...mommy..."

forumrunner_20160329_111027-png.58754

Part of the explanation is that this site has inflated expectations. Robertson, Lydon, Coleman and Howard should all be good for a bunch of wins but will need a lot more from the newcomers. Battle, the cream of the crop. is a Jonny Flynn clone. In Jonny's freshman year we were 9th in the BE, did not make it to the NCAA's and lost in the quarters of the NIT. The other newcomers are (excuse the term) pigs in a poke.

Encouraged by JBs rave reviews, but JB is as much interested in filling the seats as he is in making an accurate prediction.

It will fun no matter how good they are.

Part of the explanation is that this site has inflated expectations. Robertson, Lydon, Coleman and Howard should all be good for a bunch of wins but will need a lot more from the newcomers. Battle, the cream of the crop. is a Jonny Flynn clone. In Jonny's freshman year we were 9th in the BE, did not make it to the NCAA's and lost in the quarters of the NIT. The other newcomers are (excuse the term) pigs in a poke.

Encouraged by JBs rave reviews, but JB is as much interested in filling the seats as he is in making an accurate prediction.

It will fun no matter how good they are.

I have absolutely no clue how Battle's play could ever be compared to that of Jonny Flynn. Outside of the fact that the both are good dunkers, there is not much alike about them.

Let's look at a few of the differences:

Flynn was probably a shade under 6'0" tall. Battle is 6'6 1/2".

Flynn was a point guard. Battle is a two-guard.

Flynn was a mediocre defender. Battle is an outstanding defender.

Flynn was a flashy, exciting lead guard, who was a solid all-around offensive player. He was a point guard with a score-first mentality. Good dunker, especially for his size. Battle will hopefully be an exciting two-guard and all-around player. He will look to distribute and set up his teammates. If anything, some of us might hope he's less unselfish. Great slasher and dunker.

Flynn was a decent and sometimes very good shooter. Battle will be a decent shooter as well and could be a lot better than advertised. Their shooting %'s could be similar from deep. That's one other other similarity I will grant you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom