I find my self oddly invested in a weird Orioles statistic: | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I find my self oddly invested in a weird Orioles statistic:

This is the standard answer I have seen (and also used myself in trivia in the past), but I think it has to be altered.

Since we are discussing interference, it got me thinking that fielder's interference is perhaps not the same as catcher's interference.

So if the first base or pitcher blocked or grabbed the runner on the way to first base, that would be fielder's interference. .

So we keep 6 and change it to "Fielders Interference" rather than "Catchers Interference", or we create a seventh one.
I think what you are talking about would be classified as obstruction.

I think what you are talking about would be classified as obstruction.

So then its 7, with obstruction being a possibility as well?

Gunnar Henderson has been fantastic after a couple of slow months starting out the year. Made some unbelievable plays in the field vs the rays, running the bases as well as really improving at the plate. Another huge HR yesterday.

Hope they can add one more arm before the deadline.

Giving one guy credit for a team not being swept is stupid.
Catchers make a huge difference. At AAA, the team ERA was about 1/2 run a game less with him catching. (Have not seen a stay for MLB).

He is a superior defensive catcher as well.

Last I looked, he had the highest OBP for the team, by far, and that was with the most bad pitches called strikes for anyone in MLB (at all star break).

There is certainly a correlation. Whether or not there is causation is what makes it a really fascinating statistic.
https://www.mlb.com/news/adley-rutschman-exceeding-hype-for-orioles-2023#:~:text=Rutschman's%20impact%20on%20the%20Orioles&text=Baltimore%20lost%20more%20than%20100,97%20pace%20over%20162%20games.
That has a lot to do with the Angels second best starter (Griffin Canning) having a measly WAR of 1.0. Or their third and fourth best position players being Zach Neto and Mickey Moniak. Ohtani can't make ****ty players or GM's much better.

The Angels are 4 games out of the playoffs.. so they are still in mild contention. And that is solely due to Ohtani.

In fact Ohtani playing so well may hurt the franchise long term, because they may feel compelled to stick with him past the deadline due to the team hanging around the edges of the race.
I don’t get the Angels. Call in Ohtani. “We are going to trade you and get a bunch of really good young players so we can compete for years. After the season is over, we want to sign you to the richest contract in American sports history. Will you give us a chance to do that?”

Catchers make a huge difference. At AAA, the team ERA was about 1/2 run a game less with him catching. (Have not seen a stay for MLB).

He is a superior defensive catcher as well.

Last I looked, he had the highest OBP for the team, by far, and that was with the most bad pitches called strikes for anyone in MLB (at all star break).

There is certainly a correlation. Whether or not there is causation is what makes it a really fascinating statistic.
I agree that catchers make a huge difference and that he is important to the Orioles. I don’t think he is the most important player in baseball. Counting how many times a team is swept is not a measure by which I would determine the most important player.