I HATE the NFL overtime rule | Syracusefan.com

I HATE the NFL overtime rule

SWC75

Bored Historian
When the colleges started their system I was skeptical because ti seemed so gimmicky.But once I saw it in action, i fell in love with it. We get right down to the business of seeing who will win the game. The emepshsis is on touchdowns, not field goals. Both teams get a shot on offense.

Is there anyone in America, (besides Seattle fans), who didn't want Aaron Rogers get a shot in overtime? Or, (a healthy) Peyton Manning last September?

Dear NFL: You're putting on a show. Put on the bets show possible. This ain't it. :mad:

Football doesn't really lend itself to overtime. The sport just isn't built for that.

That said, I agree that the college game does it the best. Emphasizes both offense and defense, and minimizes special teams. As the sport should be.

I think if the first team that gets the ball kicks a FG, the other team gets one possession. They should do the same even if it's a TD.

I think if the first team that gets the ball kicks a FG, the other team gets one possession. They should do the same even if it's a TD.
That was a rule change to make the overtime period fairer.

Agreed. Everybody gets an equal number of possessions just like college. But unlike college, teams have to play all phases

Nah. If you can't stop someone from driving 80+ yards on you with your back to the wall, you don't deserve another chance.

Defense should be a part of the equation.

TDTOrange said:
Nah. If you can't stop someone from driving 80+ yards on you with your back to the wall, you don't deserve another chance. Defense should be a part of the equation.

Defense should be part of it. But should a coin flip be part of it?

rrlbees said:

The NFL OT rule makes the college rule look sensible.

Too much emphasis on the coin flip.

That's why they put in the 1st possession FG doesn't end it rule. It is too easy to take the kickoff, get a couple of gains and kick a FG. That was too unfair to defenses, and resulted in too many coin flip victories. But like I said, if you can't knuckle down and keep someone out of your endzone from a full field away, you blew your chance.

I'm SUPER biased in this instance, admittedly, but I'll never understand why both teams don't at least get a shot each. Who (besides Seattle fans) doesn't want to see Rodgers get a shot to tie things there?

I'm SUPER biased in this instance, admittedly, but I'll never understand why both teams don't at least get a shot each. Who (besides Seattle fans) doesn't want to see Rodgers get a shot to tie things there?
Here's something they could do: how about if the team that gets it first scores a TD, the other team gets a chance...but if they score a TD, they HAVE to go for 2? Would that not be amazingly awesome?

Eh. McCarthy would just kick another FG

It's still ridiculous that both teams don't get to possess the ball. Unfair.

The college games have proved that ending the game on a defensive plays can be just as exciting as ending on an offensive play.

And I sure don't agree that giving up a touchdown means you don't deserve a possession to see if you can score one, too.

not letting one team get a chance to tie up fails to recognize that some teams are better on one side of the ball than others. a team with a great offense never gets a shot to win the game sometimes.

I think the NFL should follow the college model, except that each change of possession starts with a kick-off instead of at the opponent's 20.

not letting one team get a chance to tie up fails to recognize that some teams are better on one side of the ball than others. a team with a great offense never gets a shot to win the game sometimes.

They had 60 minutes to do that.

I'm more playing devil's advocate here, but at what point do you say that it's ok to have an uneven number of possessions? If each team scores an OT TD, and team 1 scores again, does that end the game? Or do you give team 2 another chance? How long do you let this go? If you're only good (or significantly better on one side of the ball than the other) maybe you're not deserving of winning a championship.

I'm with TDT. Perfect the way it is. College is gimmicky and manufactured (a version of the NBA's "hey you get to inbound at halfcourt after a timeout just 'cause...).

There's a zillion and one things about football that are random and not fair - officiating, fumble recoveries, etc. Maybe go for it on 4th&goal from the 1 instead of being a puss next time.

They had 60 minutes to do that.

I'm more playing devil's advocate here, but at what point do you say that it's ok to have an uneven number of possessions? If each team scores an OT TD, and team 1 scores again, does that end the game? Or do you give team 2 another chance? How long do you let this go? If you're only good (or significantly better on one side of the ball than the other) maybe you're not deserving of winning a championship.

Giving just one team possession in overtime because the other team failed to stop them is like not giving a baseball team the bottom of the 10th because they gave up a home run in the top of the tenth.

I'm with TDT. Perfect the way it is. College is gimmicky and manufactured (a version of the NBA's "hey you get to inbound at halfcourt after a timeout just 'cause...).

There's a zillion and one things about football that are random and not fair - officiating, fumble recoveries, etc. Maybe go for it on 4th&goal from the 1 instead of being a puss next time.

Life isn't fair. Sports is supposed to be. Fairness is a concept we impose on sports because we want to see the best team win. If something in sports is unfair, it should be fixed.

Life isn't fair. Sports is supposed to be. Fairness is a concept we impose on sports because we want to see the best team win. If something in sports is unfair, it should be fixed.

Good luck ever liking football then.
There's a crapload of stuff that's arbitrary. Like which penalties are called - holding & illegal contact happen on every play. Or which tiebreakers are enforced in what order in the event of a 3way tie...my preference would've given the 1seed to Dallas for being 1-0 vs GB/Seattle and this game would've happened last week. Boo Hoo.
I do not understand the obsession with this one aspect, particularly when you need a TD now. Besides it's not really "fair" to the team that gets the ball first in college rules either.

Last edited:
They should play one 10 minute quarter. If after the period you have tie, you play a second quarter. First score doesnt win, you play the entire quarter until the end.

and the college OT sucks too. Yes its better than ending in a tie (FU Pat Dye) but it sucks just as bad

Here's something they could do: how about if the team that gets it first scores a TD, the other team gets a chance...but if they score a TD, they HAVE to go for 2? Would that not be amazingly awesome?
While exciting, it would still mean the coin flip has too much weight. Let each team possess the ball once. If both score TD's, then play sudden death.

Good luck ever liking football then.
There's a crapload of stuff that's arbitrary. Like which penalties are called - holding & illegal contact happen on every play. Or which tiebreakers are enforced in what order in the event of a 3way tie...my preference would've given the 1seed to Dallas for being 1-0 vs GB/Seattle and this game would've happened last week. Boo Hoo.
I do not understand the obsession with this one aspect, particularly when you need a TD now. Besides it's not really "fair" to the team that gets the ball first in college rules either.

I've been liking football since the 60's. The fact that judgment calls within the game don't always help or hurt both teams equally doesn't mean that the rules should be unfair. And it doesn't matter who goes first if they both get a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom