I hate to say it, but | Syracusefan.com

I hate to say it, but

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
for those who are expecting a big turnaround next season, you should know that we don't have a natural point guard coming in next season among our stellar recruiting class.

Kaleb has a lot of work to do this summer, if we are going to be an elite team again next year. I just don't see it right now from him. He's somewhere in Josh Wright territory. He's just terrible on defense. He doesn't throw a good entry pass to the post, he's afraid to take an open 10 foot shot in the lane and he doesn't get to the rim.

What happened to the explosive athletic kid we saw in high school? We really need a better point guard in the next class.

for those who are expecting a big turnaround next season, you should know that we don't have a natural point guard coming in next season among our stellar recruiting class.

Kaleb has a lot of work to do this summer, if we are going to be an elite team again next year. I just don't see it right now from him. He's somewhere in Josh Wright territory. He's just terrible on defense. He doesn't throw a good entry pass to the post, he's afraid to take an open 10 foot shot in the lane and he doesn't get to the rim.

What happened to the explosive athletic kid we saw in high school? We really need a better point guard in the next class.
I dont know it is definitely a huge concern but G dominated duk last game at point forward, just nobody else helped him beside TRob. But then tonite he struggled mightily as point forward. But again nobody was helping him and he missed two open layups and missed 3s he has been making. I dont know what to expect at pg next year, other than it may be pg by committee, G, Trevor and Kaleb

I dont know it is definitely a huge concern but G dominated duk last game at point forward, just nobody else helped him beside TRob. But then tonite he struggled mightily as point forward. But again nobody was helping him and he missed two open layups and missed 3s he has been making. I dont know what to expect at pg next year, other than it may be pg by committee, G, Trevor and Kaleb

I'm looking at next year and if G is back, he and Trevor are kind of blocking PT for others. Trevor is what he is at this point - a streaky 2G who plays a good hustle game. G is not really a PG, he's a utility man. He should be a 6th man on a championship team. These are our 2 best returning players. Mali hopefully plays well enough to cut into Trevor's court time if he's not making shots.

But who is going to push Kaleb? I don't see Frank Howard coming in here and setting the PG position on fire from Day 1. I hope I'm wrong, but he doesn't play PG for his HS team, he's more of a wing player. And even behind him, if we get Tyus Battle, it's another big kid who we are going to try to teach to be a PG on the fly.

If we're going to keep recruiting big combo guards, I wish JB would think about the offensive end of the floor, too, and not just fixate on how disruptive they could be at the top of the zone. I'm sick of watching such offfensively-challenged basketball.

Everyone looks explosive juxtaposed to high school talent. Im sure Cooney looked like Lebron vs BoBo High

I hope i was wrong about Kaleb....he has a long way to go to play PG at Syracuse......not every kid develops as expected...

Yes. Because kids don't get better. And the idea that G is a utility man is ridiculous. Let's forget about how much talent that Chris M. has. I think about G and Cooney at the top of the zone at times next year. The opposing wings won't see the rim. Roberson as he gains more ability to knock down a 12 footer. A 30 second shot clock giving teams even less time to break our zone. If G comes back the team will be very good. And that is not even counting on T.B.

I'm looking at next year and if G is back, he and Trevor are kind of blocking PT for others. Trevor is what he is at this point - a streaky 2G who plays a good hustle game. G is not really a PG, he's a utility man. He should be a 6th man on a championship team. These are our 2 best returning players. Mali hopefully plays well enough to cut into Trevor's court time if he's not making shots.

But who is going to push Kaleb? I don't see Frank Howard coming in here and setting the PG position on fire from Day 1. I hope I'm wrong, but he doesn't play PG for his HS team, he's more of a wing player. And even behind him, if we get Tyus Battle, it's another big kid who we are going to try to teach to be a PG on the fly.

If we're going to keep recruiting big combo guards, I wish JB would think about the offensive end of the floor, too, and not just fixate on how disruptive they could be at the top of the zone. I'm sick of watching such offfensively-challenged basketball.
Imo you have to look at the big picture, we get all our guards back next year plus Malachi can play guard. And as Dasher said, to think these guys wont improve who return, well thats a pretty pessimistic take. And just as importantly in the big picture, look what the other top teams lose. Duke will lose Cook and imo Jones is gone too. Thats their entire backcourt. ND loses their best and only playmaker in Grant. Unc probably loses their best all around player in Paige. UL loses jones and blackshear. Va may lose Brogden and anderson to nba. Bottom line is our guards got schooled by Cook and Jones tonite. I doubt they will have to play against those two next year and the guys they will have to play against probably will not be nearly as good. If Jones goes to nba, and he is projected to go on many draft sites and by many talking heads lately, who are dukes guards next year? Imo SU should be pretty good next year if McC and Cole are healthy. Big if

I think we will be OK at PG. Kaleb will get much better.

I am more concerned with the 5 spot. Who's going to be there, especially if we dont get Bryant? I don't see CMac as a starting center in our defense. Are we counting on Coleman? Roberson? Obokok? (lord help us)

I see PG as a ? next season, but a ? doesn't mean that there will be no answers. I think Kaleb sees the floor well enough to be at least an average PG, but right now the game is too fast for him. He should certainly improve going into next season, but will he improve enough ? Howard is, of course, a wild card. To me he is our mystery recruit. His game is evolving as he transitions to PG in HS. Will he be ready - nobody knows at this point in time. The fallback guy is G. G has the handle and the skills, he just doen't see the floor the way natural PGs do, he is a natural swing man & that is where he should play if at all possible.

I do not see Patterson or Trevor as any kind of a PG solution.

I like a potential lineup that utilizes Gbinije, Cooney and Mal Richardson at the same time. Gbinije as point forward in what would be a three guard lineup that still has length and features three legit perimeter shooting threats.

I see PG as a ? next season, but a ? doesn't mean that there will be no answers. I think Kaleb sees the floor well enough to be at least an average PG, but right now the game is too fast for him. He should certainly improve going into next season, but will he improve enough ? Howard is, of course, a wild card. To me he is our mystery recruit. His game is evolving as he transitions to PG in HS. Will he be ready - nobody knows at this point in time. The fallback guy is G. G has the handle and the skills, he just doen't see the floor the way natural PGs do, he is a natural swing man & that is where he should play if at all possible.

I do not see Patterson or Trevor as any kind of a PG solution.

I agree. Big question mark at PG. Really don't think Kaleb has PG skills or makeup. Hope I'm wrong.
Worst decision making I've seen from a guard at SU in a long, long time.

Call me crazy but something about KJ reminds me of Sherman Douglas. Not that he is anywhere near as good as Douglas, but he shows flashes of those things you mentioned. The big things he doesn't have that Douglas possessed in quantity is confidence and attitude, imo. Unfortunately, this was his development year without the luxury of playing behind and learning from a more experienced point guard. Sherm had Pearl to practice against. Not sure what the second team matchups are in practice, but I think that has a lot to do with the slow learning curve.

Call me crazy but something about KJ reminds me of Sherman Douglas. Not that he is anywhere near as good as Douglas, but he shows flashes of those things you mentioned. The big things he doesn't have that Douglas possessed in quantity is confidence and attitude, imo. Unfortunately, this was his development year without the luxury of playing behind and learning from a more experienced point guard. Sherm had Pearl to practice against. Not sure what the second team matchups are in practice, but I think that has a lot to do with the slow learning curve.

KJ has started 29 games. He should've figured out a few things by now, but he hasn't. He'll get better, but he needs to get significantly better for us to be good next year.

At least the worryworts here can stop worrying about G going pro...

Yes. Because kids don't get better. And the idea that G is a utility man is ridiculous. Let's forget about how much talent that Chris M. has. I think about G and Cooney at the top of the zone at times next year. The opposing wings won't see the rim. Roberson as he gains more ability to knock down a 12 footer. A 30 second shot clock giving teams even less time to break our zone. If G comes back the team will be very good. And that is not even counting on T.B.

Is G a top level point guard, Dasher? Because that's where we seem to have to play him. That's the stumbling block that affects the rest of the roles on the team.

If you look at our roster, wouldn't you think that next year, if everyone is back and healthy, that Roberson and McCullough are 2 of our five best players? Are you going to sit either one of those guys so that Kaleb Joseph can play?

I see PG as a ? next season, but a ? doesn't mean that there will be no answers. I think Kaleb sees the floor well enough to be at least an average PG, but right now the game is too fast for him. He should certainly improve going into next season, but will he improve enough ? Howard is, of course, a wild card. To me he is our mystery recruit. His game is evolving as he transitions to PG in HS. Will he be ready - nobody knows at this point in time.

Howard is not playing PG for his high school team.

Is G a top level point guard, Dasher? Because that's where we seem to have to play him. That's the stumbling block that affects the rest of the roles on the team.

If you look at our roster, wouldn't you think that next year, if everyone is back and healthy, that Roberson and McCullough are 2 of our five best players? Are you going to sit either one of those guys so that Kaleb Joseph can play?
i agree w you G is not a true pg , but i really dont think its G that is the stumbling block that is affecting the rest of the team . its really the other way around. almost always at 2 key positions (and when TC is injured its 3 key positions) guys like G and Rak and Trevor are getting little help. TRob had a very nice game last night but JB said it himself, Duke wasnt guarding him

I think with the players we have, G can be a winning pt guard.

In the best of all worlds, Kaleb makes the jump we'd like to see and G comes off the bench with Dion minutes. Then there is no problem with Roberson and McC on the floor with hopefully Coleman at center.

No secret meaning. Just looking for a comparable.

\He is only a freshman so hopefully I am wrong but he reminds me of Michael Edwards... He still has time to develop but he is really a soph now and has not shown any improvement.

We recruit a lot of explosive athletic kids. Some finally learn to play basketball at a high level (Rak). Some don't (Mookie Jones, Josh Wright). Also wh1le an explosive and athletic but raw kid is learning, the team suffers from their growing pains (Terence Roberts, Mookie Watkins). Although Rak's emergence this year has been inspirational, he was little better than average for three years. I'd prefer to focus our recruiting more on basketball IQ (Tyler Ennis, Billy Edelin).

Last edited:
\He is only a freshman so hopefully I am wrong but he reminds me of Michael Edwards... He still has time to develop but he is really a soph now and has not shown any improvement.

That was the other player I was also thinking of, but Edwards was pretty small. Kaleb has pretty decent size for a PG; he just isn't using it well to get to the rim. Hopefully he makes the jump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom