I hope Malachi doesn't regret his decision now | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

I hope Malachi doesn't regret his decision now

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll pay roughly $400-500K in taxes each year unless he puts a boatload of money into tax deferred investments. After he buys a $300K house for himself and his parents, the first years money will be gone. He left a million a year on the table by going this year. We'll see if it's worth it in the long run...
Why would he pay cash for houses? With the interest rates what they are? Doesn't seem like a good move to me...

Nobody is salty that I read. Stop with the over sensitive "You better than say it was bad decision" BS. Who's being salty?

Obviously, since he was picked first round it was a "good" decision. We would be saying the opposite if he was not drafted at all.

The very fact this thread was made with claims that he is now a "thousandaire" etc speaks volumes about saltiness. Clearly people seemed to have been hoping they could prove he made a bad decision and should have stayed, instead of congratulating him for making the right decision and seeing his dream come true.

The very fact this thread was made with claims that he is now a "thousandaire" etc speaks volumes about saltiness. Clearly people seemed to have been hoping they could prove he made a bad decision and should have stayed, instead of congratulating him for making the right decision and seeing his dream come true.

I disagree. There are trade-offs in every decision. I doubt anyone was hoping they could prove he made a bad decision. I think people who wanted him to stay in school were thinking that way for selfish reasons. But I really doubt people wanted bad things to happen to Malachi. I think you are going to far with that conclusion even if people do not agree or like his choice.

If would be like me telling you that you want Lydon to get an ACL injury because you thought it was idiotic that he did not participate in the combine. Those thoughts are not connected.

Just because he wanted to stay in school it's HIS decision. You should just love him for it and not comment on his choice. I think that's too far. If you think it was dumb that he did not participate in the combine I respect that opinion. It's not my opinion. But who cares. Each us has an opinion and we should all be respected regardless if we have different opinions.

Last edited:
I disagree. There are trade-offs in every decision. I doubt anyone was hoping they could prove he made a bad decision. I think people who wanted him to stay in school were thinking that way for selfish reasons. But I really doubt people wanted bad things to happen to Malachi. I think you are going to far with that conclusion even if people do not agree or like his choice.

If would be like me telling you that you want Lydon to get an ACL injury because you thought it was idiotic that he did not participate in the combine. Those thoughts are not connected.

Just because he wanted to stay in school it's HIS decision. You should just love him for it and not comment on his choice. I think that's too far. If you think it was dumb that he did not participate in the combine I respect that opinion. It's not my opinion. But who cares. Each us has an opinion and we should all be respected regardless if we have different opinions.
I like you Dave85, but I honestly don't understand how you just got there from doc05's posts.

alphaorange said:
They are if you don't have much. Must be a lot of wealthy guys in here.

Yeah sign me up to a two year deal worth a couple million.

I like you Dave85, but I honestly don't understand how you just got there from doc05's posts.

I appreciate being liked and I like you too. But, the idea that someone doesn't like Mal's decision to go to the NBA for whatever reason, doesn't mean they want bad things to happen to Mal. I just don't see that connection. That's all I was saying. I admit there could be someone who believes not only should Mal have stayed but also were wishing a bad result for him. I have just not seen anyone here opening express they were hoping the worst for Mal because he left. I don't see how anyone can come to that conclusion.

You play the lottery, don't you? Think statistics are for chumps?

Dunn was a potential lottery pick last year, and would have gone int he 1st round two years ago, but wasn't because of injuries.

For every Buddy Hield, there're five Melo Trimbles or guys that won't ever sniff the NBA even after a good senior year. Scouts, despite what you think, aren't stupid. They're not fooled just because a 24 year old quasi NBA talent can beat up inferior D1 players. They can spot talent.

They can still be fooled. Darko tricked the Pistons.

If he earns himself a 2nd nba contract.

You think staying in school longer would have got him the second deal?

Old school thinking in my view. It's not consistent across all players, programs, NBA teams. but generally the premise that the NCAA will much more greatly help your development is now flawed. I would say in most cases now (with exceptions of course) the development curve is about the same.

Anyone that uses the term bro and calling someone a loser because you don't agree with their opinion is going places.

An opinion? It's not a disagreement of opinion, it's calling out a early 20s kid for becoming a millionaire. Like his decision or not, the kid made such a decision that NONE OF US would ever have the blessing to make that will effect the rest of his life. Yeah, OP is a loser, he's probably the same idiot swearing and putting down the guys when they miss a shot or make a bad play at the dome.

Call me out all you want and defend his rubbish, you're just as dumb as he is.

They can still be fooled. Darko tricked the Pistons.

I won't justify the Pistons pick of Darko, but I can see why they picked him. Already had Prince, didn't really have a spot to even play Melo and they could afford to take on a guy who would sit on the bench for a few years and develop.

That said, Prince didn't end up very good, Darko sucks, and Melo is a hall of fame type player. Not sure where Detroit would have ended up if they grabbed Melo but I imagine history would have been written differently and Melo would probably have a ring.

Malachi has an opportunity in the NBA. The NBA is looking for guard play and Malachi shot well in the combine. I hope he's ready for his opportunity. The one thing about the NBA is if you are not ready they will get someone else right away. That's the way it is in the NBA. Malachi is definitely in a good position. It's really tough just to get drafted especially in the first round. He definitely has potential which someone decided was worth taking a chance on. Now he's got to work hard. He has a very short window to succeed in the NBA. I'm really glad for him.

I won't justify the Pistons pick of Darko, but I can see why they picked him. Already had Prince, didn't really have a spot to even play Melo and they could afford to take on a guy who would sit on the bench for a few years and develop.

That said, Prince didn't end up very good, Darko sucks, and Melo is a hall of fame type player. Not sure where Detroit would have ended up if they grabbed Melo but I imagine history would have been written differently and Melo would probably have a ring.

There is nothing that could justify taking Darko over Melo, Prince was a nice player, he wasn't Melo.

There is nothing that could justify taking Darko over Melo, Prince was a nice player, he wasn't Melo.
He just gave you the logic behind Detroit making that pick.

Clown thread bro.

Mali wrote his own ticket. He's now officially an NBA player and got his picture with the Commish on the stage. He has every opportunity to work on his game and make himself successful. Your post is selfish, uneducated and stupid. Its very hard for me to believe that somebody who made a decison that put 7 figures in his bank account thinks its a bad one. Go chill in your man cave while Mali continues to work his ass off on his game. Loser.
You know what's funny I've never called you a loser before. Even though you are by far the biggest (well I won't say it because it's not worth it) on this forum. I simply started this thread by hinting that he didn't get drafted where he and lot of people thought he'd get drafted. And no he's not a millionaire he's a Thousandaire. And yes I do have a very nice man cave and no I don't need to work on my game I own a business for as long as I want it.

I think Detroit wins 2 in a row in 04 and 05, with Melo. Hard to know beyond that. But Melo would have added another dimension to an already excellent team.

Hard to believe that Tayshaun Prince's presence had anything to do with it though. At the time of the 2003 draft, Prince was coming off a rookie season where he 3.3 ppg in 10 min. per game, playing 42 games. He was a nobody at that point. He did break out and have a solid 2nd season, but he hadn't shown anything yet at the time of the draft.

They took a beating at the time of the draft.

Yup. That one was heavily questioned, right from the beginning. Rightfully so. Melo was as can't miss as it gets for a one and done. There was no question that he'd be a really good pro. Not to mention Wade and Bosh were there too.

Briancuse said:
They took a beating at the time of the draft.

Sure did. But was a consensus top 5 pick. Wasn't a huge reach.

Sure did. But was a consensus top 5 pick. Wasn't a huge reach.

Yup, but for a veteran team with championship aspirations like Detroit, picking the potentially high upside but risky guy was very questionable. A BAD team would've been more justified in gambling on Darko over Melo, in my opinion.

But for Detroit, a very good team at the time, there was a sure thing available that would have provide the dynamic scoring punch which was the one thing they didn't have a ton of, and probably also become a franchise player to build around once the Rips and Chaunceys and Wallaces's got old.

Detroit got their 2004 title anyway, so it didn't matter as much. I do think they would've gotten more than 1 with Melo(those 2005-2007 NBA champions really weren't all that great), and might not have fallen on such hard times later on, as they would have had a prime Melo to build around.

And this is still my favorite Darko related thing ever, and it wasn't his fault(Kahn was so bad). Webber's reactions are still hilarious to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom