Class of 2015 - I know this is a fluid process but how many can/will we take? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 I know this is a fluid process but how many can/will we take?

JrodCuse

All Conference
We are currently at 23, not counting the silent, or is that counting the silent? I've read that technically caps us based on our current roster additions/subtractions. I've also heard that it is possible a few of our kids might not qualify from this recruiting class. I find it a tad strange that we are almost technically full in early July. I would think we have to save a few spots for some very large fish and then turn the rest of the attention to 2016/2017. So I guess the question simply is how high will we go? What happens if we truly end up with too many recruits? Do we tell the lower ones on our board, sorry dude? Very interesting to see us being in this position instead of scrambling to get a full class the week before NSD. Would love to hear some thoughts from the people plugged in to the program.

I would guess that we're going to take 27-28, with a few being risks as non-qualifers like Williams / Prater this year.

I would say 27 or 28 is what we are looking. Dont forget they were likely be a decommit or two which will open up a spot for someone else and due to the loss of the two non qualifers in the past class we can get some early enrolls to count against last years #.

Assuming that Dawson, Prater, and KJ are all able to enroll in January 2015, they would count towards the Class of 2014.

Meaning that we could take a max of 28 players.

However, there has to be room under the 85 total player limit.

There would have to be some upperclassmen who don't return next month, or some players who take their degrees and move on after the season to be able to fit in the full 28.

Or maybe the staff knows that some of this next class will be non-quals and won't enroll until 2016.

The numbers always work out in the end.

At what point do we hold on for true A-listers? And I do 100% trust the coaches evaluation of players, but if a legit stud 4* type prospect comes along the coaching staff isn't going to say "sorry bro, seats taken" will they? I have to imagine they leave 2-3 spots for super studs and fill them out after seniors have finished their season.

At what point do we hold on for true A-listers? And I do 100% trust the coaches evaluation of players, but if a legit stud 4* type prospect comes along the coaching staff isn't going to say "sorry bro, seats taken" will they? I have to imagine they leave 2-3 spots for super studs and fill them out after seniors have finished their season.
Oh Lord

We may indeed wait on a couple prospects with tons of other offers - who knows. But the guys we are taking now are A-listers by definition.

Please don't get my verbage twisted into thinking I'm not happy with our recruiting. Just curious why we aren't saving a few seats for potential big boys. I'm extremely happy we are at 23 players right now and I like all of them. I just want to save a few spots for potential legit studs.

Please don't get my verbage twisted into thinking I'm not happy with our recruiting. Just curious why we aren't saving a few seats for potential big boys. I'm extremely happy we are at 23 players right now and I like all of them. I just want to save a few spots for potential legit studs.

This whole A list, B list thing is pretty cloudy right now. 4 years ago, what's happening in July-September during the recruiting cycle now was happening in November-January. It was pretty clear that when a kid would pop up after November with little or no other interest from other schools, after we whiffed on a well recruited prospect at the same position, that the kid was likely a B list kid. Matt Hale in the 2003 class was the perfect example of this, Joe Dailey reneged on his verbal and he was the A #1 guy recruited for QB, Matt Hale is plucked out of the blue shortly before signing day with little or not interest from other schools. He was not a late riser (Bromley is a great example of a late riser, definitely not a B list recruit).

Chris Clark was our A #1 target at TE and was offered last in June of 2013, almost a full year before Parkinson and Lindor. He went elsewhere. Parkinson and Lindor weren't offered until after everyone knew he was going elsewhere. Now, does that make kids offered from the summer of last year to March/April of this year A listers and everyone after B listers or late risers? I don't know. Should it be based on the first group of players that have committable offers from the staff? Probably, but that's really tough to know. I am pretty confident that Chris Clark was the A list guy for that position based on the timeline and the others were the B list - doesn't mean they aren't good prospects, but the staff definitely has a pecking order. Problem is that no one here truly knows the staff pecking order, who has or doesn't have committable offers and no one here truly knows the gap between a kid offered in June 2013 for a position vs a kid offered in May 2014, maybe it's wide, maybe it's narrow, maybe there's no gap. Just a lot of speculation right now.

There are definitely guys out there that are supposed to be visiting this summer that have heavy offer sheets and higher rankings, so it still looks like the staff is pursuing some guys that fit the description of what you're looking for.

Last edited:
To be honest we felt like shy was b list an may have very well been mostly due to grades I will assume. When we went to the camp and they saw shy in person i I think it changed things. But during our talk when coach SS said the offer is on the table... He said to us you can take some time to decide but I need to know in a week or two so I can know where we are headed depending on if you come here or not. That seemed fair to me at the time but shy was already planning on committing. I think every offer should be binding by recruit and team but have a deadline. That way the kid knows what he is doing and the team can do what they need to.

To be honest we felt like shy was b list an may have very well been mostly due to grades I will assume. When we went to the camp and they saw shy in person i I think it changed things. But during our talk when coach SS said the offer is on the table... He said to us you can take some time to decide but I need to know in a week or two so I can know where we are headed depending on if you come here or not. That seemed fair to me at the time but shy was already planning on committing. I think every offer should be binding by recruit and team but have a deadline. That way the kid knows what he is doing and the team can do what they need to.

I don't consider a kid with grades issue to be a B lister, talent wise we land kids every year that would have been "bigger" prospects if they had their grades in order. I'm very much looking forward to what Shy can do in a Syracuse uniform, he's probably my favorite recruit in this class.

With the old recruiting cycle, I feel like the offers were more binding because it was a longer cycle and many kids were deciding near signing day. You can't send LOI's out to kids and hope they don't come back lol. One thing is for sure, the recruiting cycle has moved up dramatically and the waters are murkier than ever before.

I don't consider a kid with grades issue to be a B lister, talent wise we land kids every year that would have been "bigger" prospects if they had their grades in order. I'm very much looking forward to what Shy can do in a Syracuse uniform, he's probably my favorite recruit in this class.

With the old recruiting cycle, I feel like the offers were more binding because it was a longer cycle and many kids were deciding near signing day. You can't send LOI's out to kids and hope they don't come back lol. One thing is for sure, the recruiting cycle has moved up dramatically and the waters are murkier than ever before.
One insight comes from a comment recently about how the staff had a pool of 12 OL prospects identified, and all 5 of our commits are from that group. To me that says A-listers. We should probably screen out the guys we - and Alabama - offer, and who never give us the time of day. Those are pipe dreams, not even on the scale.

God I can't wait to for 2016 with our young experienced defense...

Blair, Thomas, Moskal, Slayton, Dowels, Howard, Doyle, Franklin, Kelly etc. etc. my god.

I don't think of it as an A, B or C list. Just a X or Y amount and they go from the most desired depending on the position and the coaches grades which I assume also includes the players academics as well. The difference in some cases may be minimal and some a decent size gap. If a kid is graded a 5.5 out of 6 and the second kid is 5.4 I mean seriously, how much of a difference can that really be? I just don't see A/B/C.

One insight comes from a comment recently about how the staff had a pool of 12 OL prospects identified, and all 5 of our commits are from that group. To me that says A-listers. We should probably screen out the guys we - and Alabama - offer, and who never give us the time of day. Those are pipe dreams, not even on the scale.

I think that's fair. If we get a soundbite out of the staff that kids committed for a position are from the first list at that position, that pretty good information to stand on. Then it just gets back to whether you feel the staff is good at evaluating talent which I feel they are.

taking 28 kids knowing several are not qualified to me is pointless.

Any kid who camps and gets offered is an a-list prospect and I love those kids. Shy had his offer I presume before camp, still camped anyways and the staff was still all in, speaks volumes.

We had a kid last year, Rodney Williams, he earned his offer after a stellar camp. Im excited about him. He didn't have any other offers up to that point and I'm not sure he got any after. Doesn't matter, you get invited into the coaches office after camp and they offer you that's all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom