I like so many things that are happening right now | Syracusefan.com

I like so many things that are happening right now

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I think we're seeing the vision come to life.

It takes catastrophic weather conditions for the passing game with this offensive philosophy, Dungey and these wideouts to be stopped. Good defenses and injuries to our offensive line aren't even enough.

ET, Ish, Salt Badger and Philips are rounding into a lethal quartet of receivers.

We're showing we can win by overcoming mistakes.

The defense has made huge strides and has become opportunistic getting turnovers when the opponent is driving.

Young players are getting the reps to not be considered that young anymore.

UCONN, Wake and BC were the meathead yard sticks. We passed UCONN and BC, and with the weather I feel comfortable calling Wake a mulligan. We play smarter football.

This is happening.

It takes catastrophic weather conditions for the passing game with this offensive philosophy, Dungey and these wideouts to be stopped. Good defenses and injuries to our offensive line aren't even enough.

ET, Ish, Salt Badger and Philips are rounding into a lethal quartet of receivers.

The defense has made huge strides and has become opportunistic getting turnovers when the opponent is driving.

UCONN, Wake and BC were the meathead yard sticks. We passed UCONN and BC, and with the weather I feel comfortable calling Wake a mulligan. We play smarter football.

This is happening.
Drunk & surfing board. May be weird to respond this stuck but just sitting here watching SNL LOVING LIFES. It's all happening for Cuse & you csll d it from the beginning. Viva DINO this offense CUSE!!!

This is happening.

I see it the same way, but I think we were already better than Wake and BC under the old system and will definitively be under the new. Next two years' yardsticks we need to pass are NC State and Pitt. Once we hurdle them as well as remaining ahead of Wake and BC, then we will know we have the potential to move up upper middle-tier ACC on the average and contend for a divisional title from time to time.

Time will tell on the latter. LGO!!!

Cheers,
Neil

I see it the same way, but I think we were already better than Wake and BC under the old system and will definitively be under the new. Next two years' yardsticks we need to pass are NC State and Pitt. Once we hurdle them as well as remaining ahead of Wake and BC, then we will know we have the potential to move up upper middle-tier ACC on the average and contend for a divisional title from time to time.

Cheers,
Neil
I was looking more for having a better mentality than that trio of teams and having the results on the field be proof of that.

We're going to compete just fine with NC State and Pitt this season.

I agree NC State and Pitt are a good test of how far we've come. Sagarin as of last week rates NC State 32, USF 34, and Pitt 40. Thus, we've already played a team of similar caliber. However we weren't ready for that kind of test when we played USF and it showed. Are we ready now? I'm glad we aren't playing either one next week. We can all see that greater upside is still possible this season.

It was only a year ago we were living on a staple of sideway tosses to a stationary receiver with no one to block for him. Every other freaking play.

The defense has improved, playing a lot of underclassmen. No seniors, only one RS-junior. Overcoming injuries in the secondary & building depth. We should be happy with this defense in 2017.

The offense is better -- with an aggressive passing attack, Dungey's improvement, Amba Etta Tawo, and Phillips' emergence as a receiver. At this point, the offense is very dependent on Dungey & the brilliant Etta-Tawo.

Happy to see this team enter November, with a chance to get better.

The defense has improved, playing a lot of underclassmen. No seniors, only one RS-junior. Overcoming injuries in the secondary & building depth. We should be happy with this defense in 2017.

The offense is better -- with an aggressive passing attack, Dungey's improvement, Amba Etta Tawo, and Phillips' emergence as a receiver. At this point, the offense is very dependent on Dungey & the brilliant Etta-Tawo.

Happy to see this team enter November, with a chance to get better.

Wasn't dependent on AET yesterday, the other 3 receivers had 300 yards.

What is just as important to our renaissance is what's happening around us. As we receive national publicity for our coach & offensive system, finally producing an exciting brand of football- our neighbors and rivals are doubling down on the traditional '3 yards and a cloud of dust" approach. This year has already been successful in my mind- the groundwork has been put in place for our rise, coinciding with the fall into mediocrity of our main recruiting competitors.

Getting to 5-7 or 6-6 would be a wonderful development...but only accelerates what is already underway. Great time (finally) to be a fan of Orange football...

Wasn't dependent on AET yesterday, the other 3 receivers had 300 yards.

Sure, not completely dependent, but AET led with 10 receptions, 144 yards, and a brilliant TD catch & run when we needed it. His addition, his record-breaking season, and Dungey's improvement have made a huge difference for this team.

Sure, not completely dependent, but AET led with 10 receptions, 144 yards, and a brilliant TD catch & run when we needed it. His addition, his record-breaking season, and Dungey's improvement have made a huge difference for this team.

I think we get another younger burner next year or Custis takes this spot after a medical red-shirt and another year in Edinger's S&C program. Can't wait to see him go up and high point the ball with Dungey throwing it.

We are still operating in first gear. Just wait until we learn to drive this thing.

That's the thing--Babers has already told us how his offensive system implementation is going to go. We're wracking up 500 yards against peer teams now, just imagine once the OL takes the next step, once we have a run game to burn teams that sell out to stop the pass, and once the players are immersed in the offensive system for longer than just an offseason.

Dungey is special--no question--and having him for the next two years means that the sky's the limit for what this offense will produce.

Here's to Dontae Strickland and Moe Neal working out (S&C) together throughout the offseason. Get our running game going and next year might be magical.

That's the thing--Babers has already told us how his offensive system implementation is going to go. We're wracking up 500 yards against peer teams now, just imagine once the OL takes the next step, once we have a run game to burn teams that sell out to stop the pass, and once the players are immersed in the offensive system for longer than just an offseason.

Dungey is special--no question--and having him for the next two years means that the sky's the limit for what this offense will produce.

Dungey and our 4 top receivers -- how much better can they get with more time in the system? Well, for one thing, we lose 2 of those receivers to graduation, and it isn't clear that the replacements for AET or Estime are currently on the team.

The OL and the run game -- the big opportunity for improvement.

Cheers,
Neil
^^^ this...Really like positive direction the last few weeks has shown...but it's just been last 2 weeks...not sure why we need to as a fan base say we are "there" yet when we aren't...crawl before walk, walk before run...agree with Grotto that mentality is important, just believe it takes a bit longer to take root...again we are playing with house money...let's just see the team make strides each week from VT game to season end...if we win another or 2 doing fine but not end of world if otherwise...and can we please stop talking about extending HCDB 8 games in or fretting that he is going to bolt? We cannot be that insecure as a fan base...Go Cuse!

Dungey and our 4 top receivers -- how much better can they get with more time in the system? Well, for one thing, we lose 2 of those receivers to graduation, and it isn't clear that the replacements for AET or Estime are currently on the team.

I'm confident that Ishmael is going to ascend into a much bigger role next season, helping to offset the loss of AET.

Estime is very good, but replaceable. Soon, WRs in this system are going to be plug-and-play.

We are still operating in first gear. Just wait until we learn to drive this thing.

Yep...heard some grinding of the gears on the illegible procedures but great point, always going forward.

AET will be tough to replace because its clear after the ND game teams are really playing over the top of him with the safety and trying to take away the deep ball. BC did not and we finally hit one but the play was there much of the game. Vt stayed over the top of him all game. that changes the dynamic of where we look to throw and the home run ball. Ish cant quite get there and he is not playing the best cover corner either. You need a home run guy in this offense to really make it go, other wise you dunk and dive all the way and as we showed this year its not that easy, though it should be a bit easier next year. brisley I think we can plug in a slot guy, even Riley i think can fill that not . the ST part will be harder, but since we know will be bringing in 2-3 slot type guys every year there is a better chance one of them can fill that role.

its clear the next step is building a running game to force the safeties hand , we are still playing with one hand behind our back and AET can handle that for now.

Your right in that it's not clear. But last offseason it wasn't clear that we'd have anyone other than Ish playing WR at a high level.

I have complete trust in this staff's ability to get 4 WR ready.

What is just as important to our renaissance is what's happening around us. As we receive national publicity for our coach & offensive system, finally producing an exciting brand of football- our neighbors and rivals are doubling down on the traditional '3 yards and a cloud of dust" approach. This year has already been successful in my mind- the groundwork has been put in place for our rise, coinciding with the fall into mediocrity of our main recruiting competitors.

Getting to 5-7 or 6-6 would be a wonderful development...but only accelerates what is already underway. Great time (finally) to be a fan of Orange football...
Yep good post now lets get as many butts in the seats as we can for NCst with now that we have some "evidence" lets do what we can to show this coach what a great environment and destination he chose to come to. The university will hopefully pull out all the stops to make this happen and we can all do our part to help.

I for some years now have lost the will and inclination to work to get more fans there. It's time to renew these efforts on all sides. I'm buying a bunch of extra tickets for this game to give out and get others on the Dino/Cuse train. We're on are way back gents (and ladies) and it's time to reinvest.

I'm confident that Ishmael is going to ascend into a much bigger role next season, helping to offset the loss of AET.

Estime is very good, but replaceable. Soon, WRs in this system are going to be plug-and-play.

Agree Ishmael will have a bigger role, and agree Babers will eventually recruit talented WRs to give us depth at the position. The question for next season in replacing AET and Estime is deep speed. This 2016 offense has made hay with long TDs, and these two have led the way. Who replaces that deep speed?

And that brings me back to the idea of "time in system". AET did not need time in system -- he was brought in over the summer and was excellent right away. Next season, we will be starting two new WRs. Time in system needed, or if talented, we are good?

Agree Ishmael will have a bigger role, and agree Babers will eventually recruit talented WRs to give us depth at the position. The question for next season in replacing AET and Estime is deep speed. This 2016 offense has made hay with long TDs, and these two have led the way. Who replaces that deep speed?

And that brings me back to the idea of "time in system". AET did not need time in system -- he was brought in over the summer and was excellent right away. Next season, we will be starting two new WRs. Time in system needed, or if talented, we are good?

Why will we be starting two new ones? Presumably, Philips / Ishmael are the top two.

I don't disagree that AET is phenomenal, and will be difficult to replace. But every college team has attrition every year. Given our offense, recruiting WRs shouldn't be difficult moving forward.