I love college football | Syracusefan.com

I love college football

MadNY3

All American
But as a Syracuse fan, I don’t cringe at the season, at this point, getting cancelled.

The schedule looks like a losing season. And one that could grind on the program.

An “off year” from the playing field, methinks, is an advantage a Babers could win on and galvanize towards a strong 2021 performance. Not sure there are 20 better coaches that could build a stronger program when not not playing than Dino.

Total gut thought. I just don’t think things set up well at all for a strong on-the-field performance this year. Long game, don’t mind the painful cancellation if/when it comes.

But as a Syracuse fan, I don’t cringe at the season, at this point, getting cancelled.

The schedule looks like a losing season. And one that could grind on the program.

An “off year” from the playing field, methinks, is an advantage a Babers could win on and galvanize towards a strong 2021 performance. Not sure there are 20 better coaches that could build a stronger program when not not playing than Dino.

Total gut thought. I just don’t think things set up well at all for a strong on-the-field performance this year. Long game, don’t mind the painful cancellation if/when it comes.
Completely agree.

I still do not think there will be a season. ACC will wait until the end of Camp and then pull the plug.

This may be a good thing for SU if every player retains a year of eligibility. In my opinion the only player to leave is Cisco. That will allow us to strengthen both lines and provide depth at all other positions.

sucks to loose a year of football, but the glass maybe half full this time.

Eh, not really buying this.

Looking around the ACC:

Sure, we don’t have to face Trevor Lawrence in 2021, we just get 5* redshirt freshman DJ Uligailei. Florida State loses some talent but gets a full year under Mike Norvell to implement his system/philosophy. Louisville still brings back their offense centered around a couple human cheat codes. Manny Diaz has been crushing recruiting and will get another year with D’Eriq King. Mack Brown, same thing, crushing recruiting and Sam Howell is another year older. VT loses a guy who already opted out but are still preseason top 25 in some publications. If Kenny Pickett comes back Pitt has some really solid talent, again, losing a guy who already opted out.

If Ian Book goes pro, I’ll give you that.

Bottom line, we have to recruit better, develop better and/or our offensive minded HC needs to figure out how to implement his offense.

ACC schools have upped their recruiting in recent years

I like Dino, but taking a year off doesn’t do much of anything for us (IMO). We have a 3rd year QB... we shouldn’t be low key hoping for a canceled season to avoid embarrassment.

Just my 2 cents. I get where you’re coming from but just don’t see why Dino gives us an edge in a canceled season over teams with established coaches and/or way better recruiting in recent years. ... The ACC is getting better around us.

If the ACC gets a full season in, it will hurt the B1G, and a wounded B1G seems like it would be good for us, no?

Just be respectable, 4-6 wins and don’t get too embarrassed in the losses. I think that would get us further than no season, and if that’s not what we can hope for... then what are we even doing right now?

Last edited:

I get your logic here but I think we need to play, final record be damned. We need to show progress on the Oline, QB, running game, WR, hell the whole offense. Our new D has to show up and play every game. Not get blown off the field every 3rd game. Show a pass rush, linebackers need to emerge. I think you take the big steps forward by playing games and practicing to them. Our odds of a winning season have definitely dropped but most of our games are still close to coin flips. If we catch a couple breaks we could surprise the ACC again.

I understand your point but not sure next year will be any easier. Schools reload we need to do the same. Also I love Dino but to say he's one of the Top 20 program builders in the country to take advantage of the off time, seems more wishful than factual thus far anyway.

We're never going to be loaded and we're always going to need things to break right in the ACC for us to compete for 10 plus wins. I don't think a global pandemic makes our situation better or worse. Us losing Cisco is a masssive massive massive loss. He's really our first all american at a d spot since Freeney. That can't be a good thing no matter how you slice it.