I miss the BIG EAST | Syracusefan.com

I miss the BIG EAST

Flacusian

All Conference
All things considered, I miss all of the rivalries and the tradition that had evolved over the years with the Big East. Not so much the Big East as it was toward the end of it's existence but the way it was when it was Cuse, Gtown, Nova, BC, PC, St. John's, W.Virginia, Pitt, and you know who. I'm trying to buy into the whole ACC thing but...jeeze... just really missing what no longer is.

All things considered, I miss all of the rivalries and the tradition that had evolved over the years with the Big East. Not so much the Big East as it was toward the end of it's existence but the way it was when it was Cuse, Gtown, Nova, BC, PC, St. John's, W.Virginia, Pitt, and you know who. I'm trying to buy into the whole ACC thing but...jeeze... just really missing what no longer is.
That's cause the Big East was the best basketball conference ever. If and when the football team gets better, that should help develop equally hated rivals. Right now it is just the hoop league and the funky scheduling they have.

i find myself truly not caring about the ACC at all, other than our games and a NC FB hopeful

i used to care about a Prov vs SHU score, and a Nova-UConn type tilt was much watch tv for me

now, GTech vs Wake or Clemson vs Anyone...meh (at best)

i find myself truly not caring about the ACC at all, other than our games and a NC FB hopeful

i used to care about a Prov vs SHU score, and a Nova-UConn type tilt was much watch tv for me

now, GTech vs Wake or Clemson vs Anyone...meh (at best)

We were also a lot younger.

None of those programs there will win a NC.

It was a different world back then. Guys stayed in college for three or four years and you could really develop either a great hatred or a great respect for them. Now there are teams and players we never see at the Dome. And don't even get me started about the BET. Best. Conference. Tourney. Ever.

It was a different world back then. Guys stayed in college for three or four years and you could really develop either a great hatred or a great respect for them. Now there are teams and players we never see at the Dome. And don't even get me started about the BET. Best. Conference. Tourney. Ever.

no question about any of the above, esp the tourney

I always had a free place or 3 to stay in the city before I moved in. could always pick up cheap tix from the losing fans the day before. got to connect with a ton of other orange clad fans & friends. great times :(

upload_2015-11-22_16-56-9.png

I, for one, welcome our new Southern overlords.

even if they eventually do I wont care except for the tangential #goACC feeling

I was a huge secondary fan of ever BE program, save 1

I even owned a Big East hat at one point. Couldn't ever see me wearing an ACC one

By "there" I mean the current Big East. We outgrew it.

Playing Duke and UNC is every bit exciting to me as UConn and GTown.

I used to be able to watch Big East games that Syracuse wasn't in and get pumped knowing that the games seemed to matter more, knowing we'd face them soon or for positioning.

Now. I could honestly care less about other ACC games and pretty much stick to SU, UNLV (because I live here) and highlights on ESPN.com.

the current BE is actually the AAC and the new BE is a fine mid major. neither is what the old & true BE's were.

I like our new home better that the embers of the dumpster fire of the old one, I just dont care that much about it

Unwillingness to give Syracuse home-and-homes with those good opponents has been yet another disappointment with this league.

Unwillingness to give Syracuse home-and-homes with those good opponents has been yet another disappointment with this league.
We had that same issue with the BE, too, once it went beyond 10 teams.

BET!

In a lot of ways, we WERE the Big East and a significant part of its brand was due to Syracuse. Though the overall situation is better in the ACC, in some ways it's a demotion. We gave up a big part of our own brand in joining the ACC and will have to establish our strength in the conference before it'll approach the same feel. I just want to get another shot at a NC before JB leaves, to cement his place and to restate our place in the pecking order. We have the largest fan support in the country for basketball and that's a big deal. I miss the Big East but it's time to create a new "paradigm" for our place in national college sports. We've been fortunate overall and I have confidence we'll continue to be a force. Nothing is ever static...we're either going to grow or diminish. I choose the former.

Not sure I follow, we just had two with Duke, have 2 with UNC this season.
I'm more concerned with the ACC's willingness to make scheduling adjustments on the FB side.

Of course, if they went with no divisions in FB like in BB, many problems could be solved. (I know, we're talking basketball, here.)

I'm more concerned with the ACC's willingness to make scheduling adjustments on the FB side.

Of course, if they went with no divisions in FB like in BB, many problems could be solved. (I know, we're talking basketball, here.)

Agreed, we're on the wrong end there even if we had a much better team.

Not sure I follow, we just had two with Duke, have 2 with UNC this season.

I mean every season. I'm surprised the networks don't demand that the name teams play each other twice a year. And I don't like it from a fan's standpoint.

We had that same issue with the BE, too, once it went beyond 10 teams.

Yeah, that was a drag, but it seemed the Big East got wise in the mid-aughts and got us two against Georgetown more often than not.

It was the end of our home-and-home that cooled the rivalry in the first place; it helped when we started to play more frequently.

the current BE is actually the AAC and the new BE is a fine mid major. neither is what the old & true BE's were.

I like our new home better that the embers of the dumpster fire of the old one, I just dont care that much about it
Totally fair.

Expansion has really killed my interest in other conference games. Back in the days when we played everyone home and away and there were only 9 teams in the conference it was much easier to keep track of who each team was and what to expect from them. Obviously the marquee matchups are great, but I never once got excited for a big Seton Hall v. Rutgers or USF v. Marquette matchup....just like I'll probably never get overly excited for a Miami v. Va Tech or Clemson v. Wake Forest game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom