I think that it is time for a coach that openly displays love and care for our players. | Syracusefan.com

I think that it is time for a coach that openly displays love and care for our players.

Zepharus

Starter
Please, hear me out. It hit me tonight as I, sadly ,watched ole' Roy being honored after the game. He was overcome with emotion and his players were genuinely having fun with him and hugging him. They care for him as he cares for them. They play hard for him to honor, not only the school , but the person. I cant see the players doing that with JB. not now, not in the past.

Not every coach is warm and fuzzy and yes they get results, but times are changing. We arent in the 80s anymore where talent overfloweth from the cup and the next great player is lined up at the door. These kids want to have a shot at getting to the league and playing for a coach they respect and they like. We look at a coach like Tom Crean and wonder how the hell he is getting talented kids when we are not. then you watch his interactions and he falls into the category of coaches that connect well and genuinely care about the welfare of their players.

This in my opinion is why we are whiffing on big time recruits and why the program is in decline. Can MH be that guy? I think he can but only time will tell. One thing is for sure. The end is here for JB and the program is in very uncharted territory. Color me concerned as hell.

Thanks for reading my rambling thoughts, Id love to hear yours as well.

The next coach is Hop. Could be next year, could be years from now. Jimmy won't want to go out like this. He's too competitive.

Any chance we could get Tony Bennett? Would love to see the pack-line D with the athletes we can recruit.

This is really well thought out and something I have pondered as well. Obviously there are plenty of former players who admire and respect JB but something feels missing doesn't it?

As for recruiting I'm not sure. Others like Francis know more. But, apparently JB has not been to one single H.S. game in FOUR YEARS to evaluate a player and show some recruiting love and grind towards a player. But, if Hopkins and Autry are first hand picking out guys like Joseph and Howard and JB is signing off on them; then the whole staff has some issues, imo. Now the Green debacle and backing off other guys.

I have my own unpopular take on the Dome. But, I don't think the true elite players care about the big potential crowds when it will be a morgue many other nights. Conversely, Cameron, Phog Allen, McKale Center will be full and rocking every night.

It doesn't seem like the top talents want to come here right now. We desperately need guards and can't either find them or pick the wrong ones. I would think that Hopkins' sales pitch would be attractive to potential recruits who don't want to play zone all the time since apparently he plans on mixing things up with the scheme and such. But, that doesn't seem to be working yet.

Last edited:
This is really well thought out and something I have pondered as well. Obviously there are plenty of former players who admire and respect JB but something feels missing doesn't it?

As for recruiting I'm not sure. Others like Francis know more. But, apparently JB has not been to one single H.S. game in FOUR YEARS to evaluate a player and show some recruiting love and grind towards a player. But, if Hopkins and Autry are first hand picking out guys like Joseph and Howard and JB is signing off on them; then the whols staff has some issues, imo. Now the Green debacle and backing off other guys.

I have my own unpopular take on the Dome. But, I don't think the true elite players care about the big potential crowds when it will be a morgue many other nights. Conversely, Cameron, Phog Allen, McKale Center will be full and rocking every night.

It doesn't seem like the top talents want to come here right now. We desperately need guards and can't either find them or pick the wrong ones. I would think that Hopkins' sales pitch would be attractive to potential recruits who don't want to play zone all the time since apparently he plans on mixing things up with the scheme and such. But, that doesn't seem to be working yet.
The four years thing is more than a little concerning. It kind of pisses me off actually.

Please, hear me out. It hit me tonight as I, sadly ,watched ole' Roy being honored after the game. He was overcome with emotion and his players were genuinely having fun with him and hugging him. They care for him as he cares for them. They play hard for him to honor, not only the school , but the person. I cant see the players doing that with JB. not now, not in the past.

Not every coach is warm and fuzzy and yes they get results, but times are changing. We arent in the 80s anymore where talent overfloweth from the cup and the next great player is lined up at the door. These kids want to have a shot at getting to the league and playing for a coach they respect and they like. We look at a coach like Tom Crean and wonder how the hell he is getting talented kids when we are not. then you watch his interactions and he falls into the category of coaches that connect well and genuinely care about the welfare of their players.

This in my opinion is why we are whiffing on big time recruits and why the program is in decline. Can MH be that guy? I think he can but only time will tell. One thing is for sure. The end is here for JB and the program is in very uncharted territory. Color me concerned as hell.

4-5 years ago I wouldn't entertain this but now I'm right there with you.

Like it or not, the kids like to be coddled and want that extra special attention.

Greg Popovich and Bill Bellichick, are just warm and cuddly all over.

The water boy makes more on those teams than all of our players combined.

It's amazing what money can do, I hate my job but would love to work at a pool to see chicks all day but I like money so I don't do that and go to work with a smile on my face every day.

Could be any number of reasons not to attend those games - as a leader he may give his coaches great freedom to operate and doesn't feel the need to micromanage. We'll never know.

I also think his treatment of players can be rough but it is also part of the dynamic he's established with the assistant coaches. That won't change. Tough to tell if it doesn't work given how successful he has been.

Jb got lazy. When green picked KY he picked Cal. His shout out to syracuse and his hs coaches comment says it all. They felt bad for Gerry. Not JB. Said Gerry did everything Not JB.
Gerry against Cal is no match. JB isnt working it like other head coaches.

FWIW people who I know who know JB all tell me he is a great guy very personable in person.

Jb got lazy. When green picked KY he picked Cal. His shout out to syracuse and his hs coaches comment says it all. They felt bad for Gerry. Not JB. Said Gerry did everything Not JB.

And a big reason, I am sure, is the man is 72 years old. This is a really tough job. Tons of travel, tons of prep. Eventually, you slow down. It's called life.

jim-boeheim-asleepjpg-8aa34069cbbf8b69.jpg

As for recruiting I'm not sure. Others like Francis know more. But, apparently JB has not been to one single H.S. game in FOUR YEARS to evaluate a player and show some recruiting love and grind towards a player. But, if Hopkins and Autry are first hand picking out guys like Joseph and Howard and JB is signing off on them; then the whole staff has some issues, imo. Now the Green debacle and backing off other guys.

He has been at games.
Our recruiting has deteriorated though.
We have had 1 year of post offense since Rick Jackson graduated in 2011.
Rak in 2014.
We have an easy offense to defend. We are a terrible rebounding team.
It is frustrating watching.
However we do have 2 Final Fours in the last 4 years. Which do matter.

He didn't get lazy, he's just OLD. It happens, instead of retiring he has hand crafted his position to cater to his old age and has assistants do all the leg work / heavy lifting, all who are former players and very loyal to JB, but they are doing a lot of his job but don't have the authority, power or cache of HC. How many conversations can assistants have with an athlete where they say, I will have to check with the HC and get back to you? It's not fair to anybody really.

Not saying JB doesn't have the right to do this but it's not best for the program, especially the short term. It also forces a guy like HOP into a tough situation, you are almost the HC but you aren't ---constantly getting your wings clipped.

It's time but probably one more year of this crap

And a big reason, I am sure, is the man is 72 years old. This is a really tough job. Tons of travel, tons of prep. Eventually, you slow down. It's called life.

Exactly, it's time to retire and that's fine. IT HAPPENS!!!

He has been at games.
Rak in 2014.

That was an AAU event, no? But, I don't think he has been to see a recruit play in his normal environment/season in quite some time.

Final 4s certainly mean something to me and are defining moments for a program or coach's legacy and hierarchy. They just don't mean that much to these stud recruits, imo.

That was an AAU event, no? But, I don't think he has been to see a recruit play in his normal environment/season in quite some time.

Final 4s certainly mean something to me and are defining moments for a program or coach's legacy and hierarchy. They just don't mean that much to these stud recruits, imo.

ive seen him in the glens falls civic center over the past few years when its warranted. Whats a normal environment?

Greg Popovich and Bill Bellichick, are just warm and cuddly all over.
I get your point but pro to college is apples to oranges and as much as I love JB so is comparing him to Pop and the hoodie.

ive seen him in the glens falls civic center over the past few years when its warranted. Whats a normal environment?

A regular season game at a kid's home gym? I'm not sure frankly and probably shouldn't speculate. Others know more for sure.

He has been at games.
Rak in 2014.

I don’t think recruiting has deteriorated. Sure, there were a couple of misses and of course the sanctions but since 2013 this is pretty good, even for Syracuse standards.

Tyler Ennis – 5 star left early
Chris McCollough – 5 star left early
Malachi Richardson – McDonalds AA left early
Tyler Lydon
Tyus Battle
Taurean Thomspon (I think he’s proving he’s going to be a very good player)

The early departures have killed us. imo, Syracuse is generally a system program and not really plug and play. The youth is tough to overcome right now.

Hes 72 big deal that isnt old. No reason he cant get to a few games. Hell he travels to all of our games. Makes zero sense.

A regular season game at a kid's home gym? I'm not sure frankly and probably shouldn't speculate. Others know more for sure.

I don’t really follow basketball recruiting like I used to so I don’t know if he does or not. But on the surface it seems like it’d be very hard to do during his own season, and they AAU events are one stop shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom