I think that it is time for a coach that openly displays love and care for our players. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I think that it is time for a coach that openly displays love and care for our players.

When you say we are being outworked by our "peers" who do you seeing being our peers? I don't think we are being outworked. We can only have so many people out there at a time due to the NCAA (those bastards).
Agree...THOSE BASTARDS!

I wasn't specifically thinking anybody. Just in general, in the sense of successful P5 programs.

But if I had to list specific peer programs, I'd say Penn State, BC, Rutgers, Just Kidding... I'd compare us to UVa, Michigan State, Ohio State, Florida (eh), etc. I'd put the UNC/UK/Kansas/Duke's on their own tier. Then another tier with L'ville, Arizona, UCLA, Nova?, programs with either more recent success or have far better advantages for recruiting (weather, location, etc). I'd put us in the 3rd tier, though I'd consider 2nd/3rd tiers a bit fluid. We do have disadvantages that some others may not have due to location/weather. I'd put Uconn in the 6th tier with DePaul and Rutgers.

He brought up Quade who went to UK. I think part of my problem is that people say peers and then bring up Duke, UK, KU and UNC. I would agree regarding Mich St, Zona, Ville and Nova. Yukon is actually a mid major and I don't see us as one.

I'm on the same page regarding Duke, UNC, UK, KU. We aren't on their level and there's nothing wrong with that. We can still be and have been successful operating in the tier below that group.

Personally, the frustration has been when I feel that the schools we agreed on like Arizona, Louisville, Michigan St, Nova are doing a much better job at managing their roster than our staff is. Even before the sanctions when Ennis was our only pg on the roster we were incredibly fortunate he stayed healthy. In 2014-15 we had a tough roster and that was before sanctions. Our peers have been able to build depth and develop program players to step in better than our staff has as of late.

Now we're operating with a hand tied behind our back with scholarships and struggle to even fill the minimized allotment. The staff has done a lot of great things but the past few years hasn't been their best work in managing the roster.

If it comes from Francis then I believe it.
He didn't say that. It's silly conjecture. I don't believe it for a second. I'd like to see proof of that.
From all reports and indications from insiders . . .
You keep citing these reports and indications. Let's see them. Not trying to be a jerk, but sounds like rumors to me.
But if I had to list specific peer programs, I'd say Penn State, BC, Rutgers, Just Kidding...
Lol. Got me.

As for the OP, I honestly don't know where to start. So now one of the many faults the board has bestowed upon JB is that he isn't weepy and huggy enough? He doesn't kiss his players on the mouth like Tom Crean? You want Tom F$%#ing Crean? Think about that. The guy who figured out a way to get his ass blown out of the Final Four with D. Wade on his team. But yeah, he's so cute and cuddly so gimme him.

You keep citing these reports and indications. Let's see them. Not trying to be a jerk, but sounds like rumors to me.
Based on nuggets from the recruiting board from trusted members. Based on tweets (not random). Based even a little on recruits rarely ever saying Syracuse is working the hardest or whatever. All of that may be slanted, may be wrong, may just be rumors, etc., but that's really all we have to go off of. I'm not going to go dig for specific people or instances, so you can obviously take my opinions with a grain of salt. I don't have any insiders, or claim to, I just try to pay attention to those who seem to have the most knowledge and inside info. And I'm not saying everything is truth or should be treated as such, just that sometimes where there's smoke...

No matter what, something is up with either our actual recruitment of players or our plans in how we recruit them, and who we go after...

I know from reading this thread several times today that you disagree, but sanctions. We can only send 2 coaches out to recruit.

Regarding the recruiting board, God bless you. After the clown show took over last summer, it became diminishing returns for me.

Last edited:
I'm on the same page regarding Duke, UNC, UK, KU. We aren't on their level and there's nothing wrong with that. We can still be and have been successful operating in the tier below that group.

Personally, the frustration has been when I feel that the schools we agreed on like Arizona, Louisville, Michigan St, Nova are doing a much better job at managing their roster than our staff is. Even before the sanctions when Ennis was our only pg on the roster we were incredibly fortunate he stayed healthy. In 2014-15 we had a tough roster and that was before sanctions. Our peers have been able to build depth and develop program players to step in better than our staff has as of late.

Now we're operating with a hand tied behind our back with scholarships and struggle to even fill the minimized allotment. The staff has done a lot of great things but the past few years hasn't been their best work in managing the roster.

Maybe in terms of Final Fours and National Titles, but we are a damn great program, and should be getting better players. I don't follow recruiting as much as I used to, kind of turned off to it now, considering how ugly it is. But we have the Carrier Dome, The Melo Center, A Hof coach, a tradition of sending many kids to the pros, we should be getting great players.

Maybe in terms of Final Fours and National Titles, but we are a damn great program, and should be getting better players. I don't follow recruiting as much as I used to, kind of turned off to it now, considering how ugly it is. But we have the Carrier Dome, The Melo Center, A Hof coach, a tradition of sending many kids to the pros, we should be getting great players.

I agree with everything you're saying. I feel JB has built a great program and we have many factors that I think would be appealing to high school kids. That's exactly why I think that something has to be off with the way our roster has been managed. Sanctions have played a large role but there was smoke even before those came into effect.

There is nothing to be ashamed about in saying we aren't in the same level as a Kentucky, Duke, UNC or Kansas. We can still be a great program even if we don't have the history of the 4 listed.

I know from reading this thread several times today that you disagree, but sanctions. We can only send 2 coaches out to recruit.

Regarding the recruiting board, God bless you. After the clown show took over last summer, it became diminishing returns for me.
But that's exactly why we need to work harder and smarter. It seems like Gerry has been out on the road more than Hop, at least based on recruiting reports I've read. If that's true, why isn't Hop out leading the charge?

I guess we'll get to see come May if anything will change. I believe that's when we get that part of the punishment out of the way.

This was from an AAU event. I believe he went to Putnam with an assistant not long after the Green thing to see Diallo and Ayala play. This is just off the top of my head. I will agree that he doesn't hit the road enough but he has gone to high school games in the last 4 years. I will defer to Dean Francis though and perhaps I am wrong.
His son, Jimmy Jr was playing in the same event as Diallo and Ayala.

The OP is obviously a troll.

The scholarship penalty has really hurt us this year now that G and TC are gone. Recruiting is now being hurt by JB retiring. The next few years are going to be tough. I'm not looking forward to it. LGO through the pain!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom