I think this team still depends on the run | Syracusefan.com

I think this team still depends on the run

kcsu

Living Legend
Look for SU to run the ball this year as much if not more than last. I know that we have beefed up the WR ranks but im still suspect about our passing game and actually think that we will see a ton of short swing/bubble type passes with the occational long ball as Hunt doesnt seem to be a timing passer which is needed for the 20-25 lenght routes. This means that the run will be dominant again as i include bubble passes in the run catagory.

Fine backs and an experienced O-line: why not!?! And like the old saying goes: the running game establishes the passing game.

I expect the balance to shift toward more passing yardage. Not pass happy, and some of it will be the bubble stuff to the flat, but more passing and more yards after the catch.

In the running game, we have more break-away potential and better depth, but we don't have the consistent primary back we had in Smith.

In the passing game, Hunt and his principal receivers are returning (except for Clark) and should be better, especially Estime and Parris. Last season, there were a lot of moving parts with an unsettling QB competition, new OC, Wales injured, Broyld moving between slot and the outside, and our most dynamic receiver (Estime) just working in. This season, it is all stable and set entering August.

A power running game also works very well against the smaller LB's that many teams like to employ for speed. I think a lot of FSU's success last year came from having multiple backs capable of running the ball. If you can force teams to commit the safety to stopping the run, it gives your WR's the chance to make plays 1 on 1.

Stanford's another team that's done very well with a power running game and on the flip side I think some of Ohio St's issues last year was Urban's horrible tendency to ignore Hyde in the 4th Q.

Last year we ran the ball 57.7% of the time.

We had 553 carries for 2533 yards.
We threw the ball 405 times (242 completions) for 2366 yards.

A total of 958 plays. in 13 games. Or, 73.6 plays per game.

McDonald hopes to get into the 80's in terms of plays per game this year. So by average lets say we run 80 exactly. We'll add 3 runs/3 passes to each category for uniformities sake.

That would equate to 39 more carries on the season, at 4.58 ypc thats 178.6 more rushing yards for the season or 13.74 more yards per game (if we attain another bowl game).

It would also equate to 39 more passes, at 5.84 ypa that's 227 more passing yards for the season or 17.5 more yards per game.

Jerome Smith accounted for 36.1 % of our rushing attempts (200). With 592 Rushing attempts this year thats 213 carries we need to make up for between PTG/GMII/DMC/AAM/TH.

I could see TH getting 125-150 carries this year (including scrambles/sacks).
PTG will most likely get the lions share - 210 carries.

That leaves 232 carries to be split between GMII/DMC & AAM.

30 more yards per game is a sizable and an attainable goal.

Total yards in 2013- 4,899 or 376.8 ypg.
If averages hold true and we get the # of plays we want it goes to - 5,304.6 or 408 ypg.

That's a nice bump up, if we're on the North side of that, I think we'll be in pretty good shape.

408 ypg was good for 66th in the country last year. Which obviously we're looking for better, but, this is based on almost no development. Having seen the offense this Spring I dont doubt that we can increase our plays per game based on tempo alone.

Our rushing avg. per attempt, 4.58, was ok and good for top 50, but our yards per pass attempt was pretty bad, 115th in the country. If that increases on top of the plays per game, which it almost has to, I think we'll see a jump into the top 50 for total yards per game.

Last edited:
SoBristol said:
but we don't have the consistent primary back we had in Smith.
Morris II or McFarlane could be, we just don't know it yet.