I wonder what Zach Allen is thinking this morning. | Syracusefan.com

I wonder what Zach Allen is thinking this morning.

Crusty

Living Legend
He is third on the Horned Frogs depth chart and Austin Wilson is our backup, having saved his first game.

He has a junior starter and senior backup in front on him and 3 talented true freshmen on his heels.

Might work out for him - might not. Just shows you how much luck is involved in the recruiting decision for these kids.

I think we should stop worrying about Zach Allen. Let the kid have a life. He made his decision that he felt was best for him when Marrone got a new job. I doubt he was even paying attention to SU vs. and FCS school and probably had no idea our backup even played.

Still good luck to the kid, but I'm not going to be keeping tabs on his career.

I think we should stop worrying about Zach Allen. Let the kid have a life. He made his decision that he felt was best for him when Marrone got a new job. I doubt he was even paying attention to SU vs. and FCS school and probably had no idea our backup even played.

I bet he does follow us.

Who's worrying about him? That was not the point of my post. As everyone knows I have posted ad nauseam about my support for Austin Wilson. I am perfectly happy with our QB s.

I hope him and Ishtaq cry into the same brand of beer every night

Who's worrying about him? That was not the point of my post. As everyone knows I have posted ad nauseam about my support for Austin Wilson. I am perfectly happy with our QB s.

Perfectly happy is going overboard, I think. We have adequate qb's at the position, nothing more at this point. Too many years of Nunes, Robinson, Dantley et all have left you with some sort of PTSD like symptoms, unable to recognize really good qb play.

Perfectly happy is going overboard, I think. We have adequate qb's at the position, nothing more at this point. Too many years of Nunes, Robinson, Dantley et all have left you with some sort of PTSD like symptoms, unable to recognize really good qb play.
Last time I checked there were still 11 players required for an offense. Give Nassib a couple of really good receivers and the 2012 team is in the top 25. Give Hunt the same and he will look like a very good D1 QB. Wilson has the potential to be as good or better than Nassib and I will settle for that any day. When we have some real receivers we can have this conversation again.

Last time I checked there were still 11 players required for an offense. Give Nassib a couple of really good receivers and the 2012 team is in the top 25. Give Hunt the same and he will look like a very good D1 QB. Wilson has the potential to be as good or better than Nassib and I will settle for that any day. When we have some real receivers we can have this conversation again.
11 players? Who knew? While you're checking on the number of players required for an offense you might want to check the tape from 2012 as well-Nassib had a couple of really good WR's in Lemon and Sales, and a stud offensive line to boot and we still weren't a top 25 program. Look nobody's saying Nassib wasn't good- he is after all getting paid to play now. All I'm saying is that I'm not sold on Hunt based on his performance so far. He's got some decent but not great legs, but he also has a suspect arm and his decisions aren't the greatest either. The dude averaged 138 ypg last year, with 10 TD's and 8 picks- and you're happy with that? He is what he is at this point which is an above average runner and an average at best passer. As for Wilson, what you call potential I call hope. Nobody knows what the hell we have in that guy at this point either- but if he can't unseat Hunt what does that tell you?

11 players? Who knew? While you're checking on the number of players required for an offense you might want to check the tape from 2012 as well-Nassib had a couple of really good WR's in Lemon and Sales, and a stud offensive line to boot and we still weren't a top 25 program. Look nobody's saying Nassib wasn't good- he is after all getting paid to play now. All I'm saying is that I'm not sold on Hunt based on his performance so far. He's got some decent but not great legs, but he also has a suspect arm and his decisions aren't the greatest either. The dude averaged 138 ypg last year, with 10 TD's and 8 picks- and you're happy with that? He is what he is at this point which is an above average runner and an average at best passer. As for Wilson, what you call potential I call hope. Nobody knows what the hell we have in that guy at this point either- but if he can't unseat Hunt what does that tell you?
Lemon and Sales were average college receivers not top caliber D-1 players. Just not and neither is in the league.

The receivers Hunt has are not even of the caliber of Lemon and Sales. Broyld is our best as he has not even scored a TD yet. When we actually get guys that can get open and catch then we will be able to judge. Hunt is a very good runner and if he had even one real WR threat there is no telling what he would be.

QB is not going to be our problem going forward. We are not even recruiting anyone at QB this year.

Crusty said:
Lemon and Sales were average college receivers not top caliber D-1 players. Just not and neither is in the league.

The receivers Hunt has are not even of the caliber of Lemon and Sales. Broyld is our best as he has not even scored a TD yet. When we actually get guys that can get open and catch then we will be able to judge. Hunt is a very good runner and if he had even one real WR threat there is no telling what he would be.

QB is not going to be our problem going forward. We are not even recruiting anyone at QB this year.

Alec Lemon was not an "average" college receiver. "Average" college receivers don't get a sniff of the NFL and get paid in the league as a practice squad player. I still believe Alec will land on and help another NFL team this season.

Crusty you certainly have a selective memory to go along with your misplaced hope in Hunt. Lemon and Sales were "average college receivers"? That statement right there disqualifies you from any talent evaluation conversation. Lemon left campus #1 all time on career receptions ahead of other JoeBlows like Marvin, Schwedes, Shelby Hill, Mike Williams, and Moore in addition to being #2 in yards and # 4 in TD's. Yeah- the guy was clearly a pedestrian receiver. Sales wasn't a joke either he's in the top 7 all time in those categories as well. At this level, shouldn't a good college qb be able to elevate his team. For crying out loud one decent qb from and FBS school almost single handedly beat us in our home opener- and his receivers sucked!

Crusty you certainly have a selective memory to go along with your misplaced hope in Hunt. Lemon and Sales were "average college receivers"? That statement right there disqualifies you from any talent evaluation conversation. Lemon left campus #1 all time on career receptions ahead of other JoeBlows like Marvin, Schwedes, Shelby Hill, Mike Williams, and Moore in addition to being #2 in yards and # 4 in TD's. Yeah- the guy was clearly a pedestrian receiver. Sales wasn't a joke either he's in the top 7 all time in those categories as well. At this level, shouldn't a good college qb be able to elevate his team. For crying out loud one decent qb from and FBS school almost single handedly beat us in our home opener- and his receivers sucked!
That places Alec tied for 198th for NCAA career receptions. Get the point. He was a good receiver and very good for SU but not the type of elite receiver you think he was. Otherwise he would have been drafted. We don't have an elite receiver on this team yet.

Your last sentence is nonsense - the guy ran the ball 34 times - he beat us with his legs not his arm.

Any coach would take the guys you mentioned 100x over Lemon and Sales, and no disrespect to them, different eras and different offenses.

That FBS QB put up 10 points in 60 minutes, that is pedestrian.

That places Alec tied for 198th for NCAA career receptions. Get the point. He was a good receiver and very good for SU but not the type of elite receiver you think he was. Otherwise he would have been drafted. We don't have an elite receiver on this team yet.

Your last sentence is nonsense - the guy ran the ball 34 times - he beat us with his legs not his arm.
Crusty you're a piece of work. Just admit that you made a mistake and that Lemon was not an average but an excellent college player and we can move on. He caught more balls than a future NFL HOF'er who had a future NFL All Pro QB throwing it to him. Lemon was far better than average. I guess it doesn't count in college if a qb beats us with his legs and not his arm- by your standards Hunt's greatest strength (his legs) don't count either. God help us if we need him to win games with his arm.

Any coach would take the guys you mentioned 100x over Lemon and Sales, and no disrespect to them, different eras and different offenses.

That FBS QB put up 10 points in 60 minutes, that is pedestrian.
So would I, but those two were not average, and to suggest otherwise is ignorant. And for the record, that pedestrian 10 points was just about enough to get the job done-

Actually he did not beat us, outplayed maybe but beat no.

What are you talking about? Lemon and sales may have not been sure fire NFL prospects but they were both very good college receivers. Geeze. You want top 25 in 2012, beat Rutgers and Minnesota,

Real receivers? Again people watching LSU and asking why can't we have that? Really.

Crusty you're a piece of work. Just admit that you made a mistake and that Lemon was not an average but an excellent college player and we can move on. He caught more balls than a future NFL HOF'er who had a future NFL All Pro QB throwing it to him. Lemon was far better than average. I guess it doesn't count in college if a qb beats us with his legs and not his arm- by your standards Hunt's greatest strength (his legs) don't count either. God help us if we need him to win games with his arm.
Fair enough I should have said not top caliber as Lemon was above average Sales was not. I would not put Lemon in the excellent category as that would put him in the category of say a Mohammad Sunu, Marqise Lee, Robert Woods, Michael Campanaro and so many others that we have played against in recent years. AND certainly no one of that caliber on this team.

I can't figure out if you like Hunt or not you keep changing your arguments. I am fully satisfied with the QB's on staff and apparently so is the staff. If you don't agree good for you and move on.

Fair enough I should have said not top caliber as Lemon was above average Sales was not. I would not put Lemon in the excellent category as that would put him in the category of say a Mohammad Sunu, Marqise Lee, Robert Woods, Michael Campanaro and so many others that we have played against in recent years. AND certainly no one of that caliber on this team.

I can't figure out if you like Hunt or not you keep changing your arguments. I am fully satisfied with the QB's on staff and apparently so is the staff. If you don't agree good for you and move on.

How do I keep changing my arguments about Hunt? I've consistently said that he is an average college qb with above average running ability and is a marginal passer. His passing stats are the definition of average. He doesn't win a ton of games (yet). You have stated you are satisfied with this level of play. I am not- pretty straight forward if you asked me.

Yeah, because the passing game was a problem all year. They went for 482 against Northwestern without Lemon. The RECEIVERS???? were an issue.

Yeesh.

The thing that put them over the top was Pugh coming back which ignited the run game, which struggled to that point. Once they got balanced and ran the ball well it was a machine.

He is third on the Horned Frogs depth chart and Austin Wilson is our backup, having saved his first game.

He has a junior starter and senior backup in front on him and 3 talented true freshmen on his heels.

Might work out for him - might not. Just shows you how much luck is involved in the recruiting decision for these kids.

Maybe Zach Allen is thinking: "Glad I found a school that told me the truth versus one where multiple coaches and the administration said Marrone would be there (gone) and then reiterated Hackett would be (gone.)"

Syracuse gave Allen enough reasons to go away at the same time he was being wooed by more local options.

And for all those people who proclaim "Yeah, but kids should commit to the school", you are naive to think that's how George McDonald is reeling them in.

Maybe Zach Allen is thinking: "Glad I found a school that told me the truth versus one where multiple coaches and the administration said Marrone would be there (gone) and then reiterated Hackett would be (gone.)"

Syracuse gave Allen enough reasons to go away at the same time he was being wooed by more local options.

And for all those people who proclaim "Yeah, but kids should commit to the school", you are naive to think that's how George McDonald is reeling them in.

Agreed. I doubt Allen worries about us anymore than the guys on our team worry about him. Kids commit to the staffs that are in place, and they can easily fall in love with the school later in the process. Actually that's a good question for Bam. Asking how it went down with Shy, was it the coaches that got him interested or the school? Or did nothing really happen till the offer came through from SU.

That places Alec tied for 198th for NCAA career receptions.
198th?

Let's see... 120 FBS teams with 5 WR each (we'll ignore the other 3-5 that don't get to play), that's 600. Let's assume that most only play for 3 years, that's 200 receivers per year. I know that passing was already big in my day (Flutie's pass to beat Miami), but let's keep it to the last 30 years.

So, he was "only" 198th out of 6000 D-1 receivers during the last 30 years. Let's make it 200th for some easy math... 200/6000 -> 2/60 -> 1/30. That places Alec in the top 3.3% of all college receivers during the past 30 years. You're right, definitely "average". :crazy: