I wonder what Zach Allen is thinking this morning. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I wonder what Zach Allen is thinking this morning.

Maybe Zach Allen is thinking: "Glad I found a school that told me the truth versus one where multiple coaches and the administration said Marrone would be there (gone) and then reiterated Hackett would be (gone.)"

Syracuse gave Allen enough reasons to go away at the same time he was being wooed by more local options.

And for all those people who proclaim "Yeah, but kids should commit to the school", you are naive to think that's how George McDonald is reeling them in.
Ok- I'm not a fan of the exit of HCDM and staff, but how does anyone know what Zach Allen was told by the coaches at TCU? For all you know they told him he'd be starting by now. More importantly, why do you still care?
What are you talking about? Lemon and sales may have not been sure fire NFL prospects but they were both very good college receivers. Geeze. You want top 25 in 2012, beat Rutgers and Minnesota,

Real receivers? Again people watching LSU and asking why can't we have that? Really.
What are you talking about? Lemon and sales may have not been sure fire NFL
Any coach would take the guys you mentioned 100x over Lemon and Sales, and no disrespect to them, different eras and different offenses.

That FBS QB put up 10 points in 60 minutes, that is pedestrian.
Any coach would take the guys you mentioned 100x over Lemon and Sales, and no disrespect to them, different eras and different offenses.

198th?

Let's see... 120 FBS teams with 5 WR each (we'll ignore the other 3-5 that don't get to play), that's 600. Let's assume that most only play for 3 years, that's 200 receivers per year. I know that passing was already big in my day (Flutie's pass to beat Miami), but let's keep it to the last 30 years.

So, he was "only" 198th out of 6000 D-1 receivers during the last 30 years. Let's make it 200th for some easy math... 200/6000 -> 2/60 -> 1/30. That places Alec in the top 3.3% of all college receivers during the past 30 years. You're right, definitely "average". :crazy:
What people like Crusty fail to understand is that the NFL and college game are separate and different games. As your cocktail napkin math demonstrates, one can be an "excellent" college player, without being NFL caliber. I don't know why this is hard to understand there are numerous examples of great college players who don't pan out in the pros. Going by Crusty's logic the great Dan Conley was an average football player.

Last edited:
To be honest, we're a little bummed right now that Alec is currently out of football - this is the first time in a long time that he hasn't been on a team.
Dealing with some uncharted territory at the moment.

With regard to his undrafted status coming out of college - we found out right before the draft that he came as close to failing his medical at the combine. Turns out the hit he took against Rutgers that tore his labrum midway through his junior year also revealed an existing shoulder socket break that never healed properly. While the surgery in the off season repaired it, it was deemed bad enough that at least 10 teams told his agent that they took him off their draft boards altogether because of it. Not sure if that factored in in keeping him off a roster now... We'll see what turns lie ahead...

To be honest, we're a little bummed right now that Alec is currently out of football - this is the first time in a long time that he hasn't been on a team.

With regard to his undrafted status coming out of college - we found out right before the draft that he came as close to failing his medical at the combine. Turns out the hit he took against Rutgers that tore his labrum midway through his junior year also revealed an existing shoulder socket break that never healed properly. While the surgery in the off season repaired it, it was deemed bad enough that at least 10 teams told his agent that they took him off their draft boards altogether because of it. Not sure if that factored in in keeping him off a roster now... We'll see what turns lie ahead...

Good luck to Alec--he was a great player here, and he has the chops to make it at the next level. Hope he gets his opportunity.

Big fan of Lemon and Sales. Mike Williams was a better prospect but Marcus and Alex did more for SU. They certainly didn't prevent us from making the Top 25. They had 136 catches between them. Ask Ryan if his receivers were "holding us back". Take away Smith's brain fart vs. Northwestern and Broyld's fumbles vs. Minnesota and we're in the top 25.

Ok- I'm not a fan of the exit of HCDM and staff, but how does anyone know what Zach Allen was told by the coaches at TCU? For all you know they told him he'd be starting by now. More importantly, why do you still care?

What people like Crusty fail to understand is that the NFL and college game are separate and different games. As your cocktail napkin math demonstrates, one can be an "excellent" college player, without being NFL caliber. I don't know why this is hard to understand there are numerous examples of great college players who don't pan out in the pros. Going by Crusty's logic the great Dan Conley was an average football player.

Or Don McPherson.

While we're arguing, Villanova is an FCS school, not FBS! :) Let's at least get it right!

All this talk about our QBs has me wondering what happened to Alin Edouard? Did he ever get back to campus? Will he ever suit up for SU?

That really stinks! I wonder, doesn't the team do any physicals while they are in college? If so, maybe they aren't as comprehensive/exhaustive as what the NFL teams do.

It's odd that stuff like this comes up in the NFL physicals that nobody knows about previously... seems to happen every year.

Good luck to Alec either way... I hope he finds his way to a team that wants him!

Last time I checked there were still 11 players required for an offense. Give Nassib a couple of really good receivers and the 2012 team is in the top 25. Give Hunt the same and he will look like a very good D1 QB. Wilson has the potential to be as good or better than Nassib and I will settle for that any day. When we have some real receivers we can have this conversation again.

I just cant agree that Hunt is anything other than a mediocre qb. I think we lose very little when he leaves the game. Yes, he can run.. i guess. But he simply can not throw a football. i support that we have to ride him the next two years, but i think that we will be fine without him.

Yeah, because the passing game was a problem all year. They went for 482 against Northwestern without Lemon. The RECEIVERS???? were an issue.

Yeesh.

The thing that put them over the top was Pugh coming back which ignited the run game, which struggled to that point. Once they got balanced and ran the ball well it was a machine.

we also played a very easy schedule. Nassib would not have put up those numbers in the ACC. He was a pretty good qb, nothing more.

He is third on the Horned Frogs depth chart and Austin Wilson is our backup, having saved his first game.

He has a junior starter and senior backup in front on him and 3 talented true freshmen on his heels.

Might work out for him - might not. Just shows you how much luck is involved in the recruiting decision for these kids.
"Third string and can't believe how many hot chicks there are in Ft Worth. It's good to be third string."

All this talk about our QBs has me wondering what happened to Alin Edouard? Did he ever get back to campus? Will he ever suit up for SU?
Not on campus yet, but it still seems like he's still fully committed to coming here.

we also played a very easy schedule. Nassib would not have put up those numbers in the ACC. He was a pretty good qb, nothing more.

2012 schedule was harder than last year. The 2012 team with all hands goes 10-2 in the regular season last year.

Why the need to downgrade Nassib?