Ichiro is now a 40+ age wise | Syracusefan.com

Ichiro is now a 40+ age wise

CaliCuse

All American
T OK he is serviceable this year but next year? Even his outstanding conditioning isn't going to defy father time and his baseball ability which demands that reflects must be part of the game's essential requirements. In the field Ichiro is very good in fielding laterally but isn't nearly as effective going back and coming in usually requires a special effort to catch the ball. His power output for a corner outfielder isn't close to the norm. His best days are in the rearview mirror.

He's a free agent. He can be someone else's problem next season.
Lets hope that Cashman doesn't think that a 40+ player is going to help this team. The same with 2nd base. Get a kid in there .How much worse could Refsynder be in both aspects of the game, bat and glove? Putting Ryan there gives a big upgrade in defense if not offense but making routine plays isn't a bad thing not to hold your breath when its happening.Roberts is another one who should retire quietly. There won't be any special days for him or a farewell tour.

I don't think the Yankees intended for Ichiro to be a full-time player this season. They are probably hoping he won't be the rest of the way if they can acquire a power hitting corner outfielder.

I doubt they have any plans for him next year, although I think he has value as a fourth outfielder that plays good defense and has speed.