if JB were an anonymous poster, he'd get slaughtered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

if JB were an anonymous poster, he'd get slaughtered

well for one s'pose if he played well and we had 25 wins there'd be no post season ban this year !

If I remember correctly, I believe posters (Alsacs for one), had a list of potential 5th yr transfers who played PG at a D1 school. There was room for one of those this year without impacting future recruiting.

If we brought in a JUCO, we'd be stuck with him for 2 years.

Not only would we not have room for Bryant next year, but we wouldn't have room for one of our other 4 recruits also.

And if the JUCO was worse than KJ ... what have you gained?

"Hi! I'm ...

White1482.jpg

(yeah, I know he's technically not a JUCO x-fer, but ...) ;)

"But when you can't shoot it and you don't defend well at the guard spot and you're small, that's not a lot of positives there."

lol

You don't really read other posters here do you?:cool:

If I remember correctly, I believe posters (Alsacs for one), had a list of potential 5th yr transfers who played PG at a D1 school. There was room for one of those this year without impacting future recruiting.

Sure, just add water and stir! :rolleyes:

C'mon guys, you're thinking with your hearts. If it was that simple they'd all be doing it. Think about it: simply "plucking a Div. 1 PG off the tree"? Reminds me of the amateur golfer who thinks if he takes a lesson he'll be able to turn pro. And even if one of those guys was available, you have to ask yourself "Why?" Who needs another head case?

Last edited:
sorry to dispute your happy gilmore worldview but there are in fact many JUCOS and transfers making huge contributions to their teams not only in conference but throughout the ncaas.

Why does he leave Cooney out there then?

Sorry, had to throw one in there. I forgot, Cooney occasionally can shoot it.
Because he has nobody better to bring in. And if you have seen the guy make 10 shots in a row in practice every day you tend to have confidence that his next shot will fall.

Sure, just add water and stir! :rolleyes:

C'mon guys, you're thinking with your hearts. If it was that simple they'd all be doing it. Think about it: simply "plucking a Div. 1 PG off the tree"? Reminds me of the amateur golfer who thinks if he takes a lesson he'll be able to turn pro. And even if one of those guys was available, you have to ask yourself "Why?" Who needs another head case?

It's not simple, but let's face it schools are doing it, even if JB doesn't agree with the practice. There are a number of mid-major guys who might be willing to come to a P5 school to raise their profile for a pro career. I went back to one of the threads from last March and this is one of the guys mentioned:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51168/antoine-mason

It's not simple, but let's face it schools are doing it, even if JB doesn't agree with the practice. There are a number of mid-major guys who might be willing to come to a P5 school to raise their profile for a pro career. I went back to one of the threads from last March and this is one of the guys mentioned:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51168/antoine-mason

Well, he averaged 1 assist/game while scoring 15 pts, and his assist to t/o ratio was practically 1:2. The only thing I like in those numbers is that he shot 3's well - almost 41%. Anyway, I don't think I see a PG there, and that's one of the biggest weaknesses we had this year.

Well, he averaged 1 assist/game while scoring 15 pts, and his assist to t/o ratio was practically 1:2. The only thing I like in those numbers is that he shot 3's well - almost 41%. Anyway, I don't think I see a PG there, and that's one of the biggest weaknesses we had this year.

Not a true PG, but I think most of us would rather have another 40% 3-pt shooter to space the floor better right?
It's certainly not going to be a situation where you get an All-ACC caliber player for a year, but a 5th yr grad student does give you a little flexibility in situations where the roster numbers are low.

Brooky03 said:
Why would a poster get slaughtered for saying there aren't a lot of positives to Joseph's game?

I get slaughtered when I say Chinoso doesn't have many positives to his game.

Not a true PG, but I think most of us would rather have another 40% 3-pt shooter to space the floor better right?
It's certainly not going to be a situation where you get an All-ACC caliber player for a year, but a 5th yr grad student does give you a little flexibility in situations where the roster numbers are low.

Certainly would have been an upgrade over KJ, however we'd still be right where we are today, and KJ would have zero experience as opposed to a year. It's also interesting to consider that we might have won about 3 more games and been looking at when we wanted to self-impose the ban ... :noidea:

Certainly would have been an upgrade over KJ, however we'd still be right where we are today, and KJ would have zero experience as opposed to a year. It's also interesting to consider that we might have won about 3 more games and been looking at when we wanted to self-impose the ban ... :noidea:

Not saying I disagree. I actually would have been fine with Joseph getting more time once the ban was announced since the bottom line wasn't as important.

I just disagree with the notion that Ennis declaring last March prevented SU from doing anything to improve the "roster" for 2014-15.

Because he has nobody better to bring in. And if you have seen the guy make 10 shots in a row in practice every day you tend to have confidence that his next shot will fall.

I've seen him miss 10 shots in a row in a game. that tells me that confidence is overstated.

The thing is, if Ennis had stayed, KJ would still have had no experience.

True. I don't think anyone saw, a year ago in October, that either Grant or Ennis would leave, let alone both. And it was also expected that Coleman would be available at least at some point during this year. The worst case played out in all three situations, and the effect of that was made even worse by McCullough's injury. I expect KJ's relative non-performance came as a surprise, for I'm sure it was anticipated he'd play better. Probably nobody out there is happier this year is over than he. Anyway, it's just too much to expect there to be a remedy for all of that, especially when recruiting decisions are regularly made well in advance. Two early departures, two catastrophic injuries, and a virtually non-contributing player. Cumulatively it was just too big a hit for the program to withstand. So we ended up in what, only the third non-20 win season in Boeheim's tenure? Even at that, it's on the heels of 5 pretty good seasons in a row. I think also one of the unstated positions around here is that we were all hoping for a rebound from last season's fizzle-out, and that didn't happen - it really only continued. But that the hell, at least it happened in a season in which we weren't going to the post-season anyway. And we don't have to endure the ignominy of the NIT. At least the bread fell jam-side up on that.

Last edited:
Because he has nobody better to bring in.

I heard JB make the claim in one of the post game press conferences that the other guards only shoot 20% from three, but the thing is that Trevor is 5/35 for three in the last 5 games (14%). Surely we've hit a point where we could provide a little bit of time for the other guards. At this point, I'd even let Joseph and Bus shoot. It couldn't be that much worse than what Trevor's been doing. When you throw in the fact that Trevor's hurt it does seem like it's the right time to give him just a little rest.

So you don't think Sherman practicing against Pearl in his freshman year didn't help him?

I heard JB make the claim in one of the post game press conferences that the other guards only shoot 20% from three, but the thing is that Trevor is 5/35 for three in the last 5 games (14%). Surely we've hit a point where we could provide a little bit of time for the other guards. At this point, I'd even let Joseph and Bus shoot. It couldn't be that much worse than what Trevor's been doing. When you throw in the fact that Trevor's hurt it does seem like it's the right time to give him just a little rest.
He also said that the substitute had other liabilities.

So you don't think Sherman practicing against Pearl in his freshman year didn't help him?

Not what I said. Or meant, actually. I meant he still wouldn't have had game experience because JB wouldn't have used him.

and there really is no comparing real game experience to practice time. can't be duplicated.

Not what I said. Or meant, actually. I meant he still wouldn't have had game experience because JB wouldn't have used him.
My point is still germane. I think you might say that Sherm stepped up his second year with very little floor time in his first.

My point is still germane. I think you might say that Sherm stepped up his second year with very little floor time in his first.

And you might say Sherm was a bit more of a player than Kaleb.

Actually, are we really trying to compare these two sets of PGs?

I'd love to hear from the folks who actually attended practices then and have had the opportunity to attend them now. Do they actually get to play against each other nowadays? Just curious how much time is actually spent scrimmaging and if there is a difference from the way Jim ran practices when the Pearl and Sherm were at SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom