If London can get 6 years at UVA... | Syracusefan.com

If London can get 6 years at UVA...

Ish88888

All American
There is no reason Shafer was blown off for his fourth year. If , as a spectator yesterday, you couldn't bring together the sum of player effort and excellent scheming and game plannimg with a walk on qb and injuries against a top 15 national defense. We didn't light it up on offense but our walk on qb made plays when he needed to by excellent coaching. It was an emotional day yesterday and unless we make a big splash with this hire and we go 7-5 next year and hold onto top recruits, then nothing makes sense. Shaf would have went 6-6 in his sleep next year. 8 qbs in 2 years, an uptick on recruiting, a dynamic young staff, and a culture that was a universal glue...we better see 8 wins within 2 years with style points. ...otherwise this is a HUGE MISTAKE.

You won't see 8 wins in two years because we have to play FSU, Louisville, LSU, and Miami on the road with Clemson at home.

There is no reason Shafer was blown off for his fourth year. If , as a spectator yesterday, you couldn't bring together the sum of player effort and excellent scheming and game plannimg with a walk on qb and injuries against a top 15 national defense. We didn't light it up on offense but our walk on qb made plays when he needed to by excellent coaching. It was an emotional day yesterday and unless we make a big splash with this hire and we go 7-5 next year and hold onto top recruits, then nothing makes sense. Shaf would have went 6-6 in his sleep next year. 8 qbs in 2 years, an uptick on recruiting, a dynamic young staff, and a culture that was a universal glue...we better see 8 wins within 2 years with style points. ...otherwise this is a HUGE MISTAKE.
Please stop the insanity. 6-6 in his sleep? Dynamic staff? Where was all of the excellent scheming, game planning and effort for the past 3 years, especially knowing you're getting fired if you don't produce some wins down the stretch?

Yeah I totally agree. Shafer got the raw end of a new ad. They were close and if a few plays when differently he would still be here.

Gotta move on man. Nothing we can do about it.

It's done. It's over.

I was fully in favor of Shafer getting another year, but it's all in the past at this point. It's not changing, and unless you have a DeLorean, the past is the past, and we have to just roll with it.

Let it go, man.

We were at home and beat a team 0-8 in conference with a last second field goal. I'm pretty sure BC's QB is a lefty who's parents accidentally raised him right handed.

I'm glad we won and sent the staff out with a win.
Team Frosty.

One thing people need to remember, and I'm going to post it in every single thread when the new coach is announced. For convenience, I'll just use the name Frost.

If Frost does not win here, that doesn't mean Shafer would have. Because that's going to be the common theme whenever Frost struggles.

We didn't make a mistake, we're not Georgia coming off a 9-3 season (a lot of them at that).

If Mark Richt can get 15 years at Georgia in the best conference in college football - accomplish all of this - and still get fired Shafer should be happy for the time he got.

Mark Richt's 15-year career at Georgia:
• 145-51 record
• 9-3 this season
• 9 10-win seasons
• 9-5 career record in bowl games

Mike London getting 6 years shows that Virgina was stupid and prolonged their pain as a program. All that example does is underscore how fortunate Syracuse is to have a clear thinking AD who moved to improve the coaching situation in the program. If only we had pulled the plug on Gerg sooner.

Chip said:
One thing people need to remember, and I'm going to post it in every single thread when the new coach is announced. For convenience, I'll just use the name Frost. If Frost does not win here, that doesn't mean Shafer would have. Because that's going to be the common theme whenever Frost struggles. We didn't make a mistake, we're not Georgia coming off a 9-3 season (a lot of them at that).

Good luck with that.

VirginiaOrange said:
If Mark Richt can get 15 years at Georgia in the best conference in college football - accomplish all of this - and still get fired Shafer should be happy for the time he got. Mark Richt's 15-year career at Georgia: • 145-51 record • 9-3 this season • 9 10-win seasons • 9-5 career record in bowl games

Not to mention that Richt took over a program that had gone 8-4 the two seasons prior, went 8-4 in his first year, then went 13-1 and 11-3. Better success in year three than in year 1 and the prior regime. This pattern plays out over and over for successful coaches. It did not happen here, to say the least.

The new guy probably isn't winning at SU for at least 3 years, so you know people are going to say that.

No doubt.

Mike London getting 6 years shows that Virgina was stupid and prolonged their pain as a program. All that example does is underscore how fortunate Syracuse is to have a clear thinking AD who moved to improve the coaching situation in the program. If only we had pulled the plug on Gerg sooner.
UVA created their own problem when they gave London a huge extension for almost no reason. I am convinced he would have been fired way before today had they not owed him so much money. They had to pay him so they kept him and hoped it would get better. And they are now having big attendance issues especially for a big state school with a huge alumni base withing a couple of hours from campus. The SU game was their homecoming and was half empty and the Duke game two weeks ago had less than 20,000 in the stadium.

Scooch said:
If he's good he absolutely will. It happens over and over.

I'll be very surprised.

New scheme.

Probably a number of new players, lost players.

Limited talent at the receiver position to run a spread offense.

Uncertainty at QB with Dungey and questionable backups.

Difficult schedule.

Possibly no home games one year.

cuseguy said:
I'll be very surprised. New scheme. Probably a number of new players, lost players. Limited talent at the receiver position to run a spread offense. Uncertainty at QB with Dungey and questionable backups. Difficult schedule. Possibly no home games one year.

I know, some people think SU is a unique snowflake that has problems and challenges unlike any other program in FBS.

I'll just keep pointing to the fact that dozens of other schools of all shapes and sizes have gone from absolute dreck to substantial improvement by year 3, including such notable powerhouses as Temple and Memphis.

I know, some people think SU is a unique snowflake that has problems and challenges unlike any other program in FBS.

I'll just keep pointing to the fact that dozens of other schools of all shapes and sizes have gone from absolute dreck to substantial improvement by year 3, including such notable powerhouses as Temple and Memphis.

Do Temple and Memphis have good parking? Is that how they did it?

The new guy probably isn't winning at SU for at least 3 years, so you know people are going to say that.

No doubt.

There is a lot of talent on the roster, the right guy can win some games next year. It might take some time, and it may be a little sloppy at the start of the year, due to learning new systems and schemes, but the cupboard isn't bare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom