If London can get 6 years at UVA... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If London can get 6 years at UVA...

I'll be very surprised.

New scheme.

Probably a number of new players, lost players.

Limited talent at the receiver position to run a spread offense.

Uncertainty at QB with Dungey and questionable backups.

Difficult schedule.

Possibly no home games one year.

Pitt manages to do it every 6 months. I don't think anyone would accuse Pitt of having superior talent or superior coaching. Somehow they keep going to bowl games changing coaches.

Scooch said:
I know, some people think SU is a unique snowflake that has problems and challenges unlike any other program in FBS. I'll just keep pointing to the fact that dozens of other schools of all shapes and sizes have gone from absolute dreck to substantial improvement by year 3, including such notable powerhouses as Temple and Memphis.

If we're talking year 3, I'm good with that. But people shouldn't expect a turnaround overnight.

I just sense that many of our fans are going to get down on the coach and the program when they don't see immediate success.

Briancuse said:
There is a lot of talent on the roster, the right guy can win some games next year. It might take some time, and it may be a little sloppy at the start of the year, due to learning new systems and schemes, but the cupboard isn't bare.

No one of the "we have no talent crew" has been able to explain to me how we were "a play or two away" from beating UVA and Pitt. I watched every minuet of those two games and at no point did I think we were outclassed. We're not FSU or Clemson, no doubt. But we're in the ballpark with a lot of the rest of the ACC.

If we're talking year 3, I'm good with that. But people shouldn't expect a turnaround overnight.

I just sense that many of our fans are going to get down on the coach and the program when they don't see immediate success.
#Fire{insert coach's name here}

Briancuse said:
There is a lot of talent on the roster, the right guy can win some games next year. It might take some time, and it may be a little sloppy at the start of the year, due to learning new systems and schemes, but the cupboard isn't bare.

We don't know Dungey's status. And if he can play and gets dinged again, we're probably looking at Mahoney again with the same receivers.

People just need to be patient.

Five, six wins each of the next years will be an accomplishment.

cuseguy said:
If we're talking year 3, I'm good with that. But people shouldn't expect a turnaround overnight. I just sense that many of our fans are going to get down on the coach and the program when they don't see immediate success.

It's always year 3. That's the make or break in the vast majority of cases. And Im not saying we'll be in the Orange Bowl in year 3. But if our hire is good then we'll win ~8.

I don't care what many of our fans do, it's irrelevant. Shafer wasn't fired because of the fans.

For barely beating a team that went 0-9 in conference play?

There is no reason Shafer was blown off for his fourth year. If , as a spectator yesterday, you couldn't bring together the sum of player effort and excellent scheming and game plannimg with a walk on qb and injuries against a top 15 national defense. We didn't light it up on offense but our walk on qb made plays when he needed to by excellent coaching. It was an emotional day yesterday and unless we make a big splash with this hire and we go 7-5 next year and hold onto top recruits, then nothing makes sense. Shaf would have went 6-6 in his sleep next year. 8 qbs in 2 years, an uptick on recruiting, a dynamic young staff, and a culture that was a universal glue...we better see 8 wins within 2 years with style points. ...otherwise this is a HUGE MISTAKE.
upload_2015-11-29_17-18-34.jpeg

qdawgg said:
Pitt manages to do it every 6 months. I don't think anyone would accuse Pitt of having superior talent or superior coaching. Somehow they keep going to bowl games changing coaches.

Let's not go down this road.

They have better talent.

It's not debatable.

Scooch said:
It's always year 3. That's the make or break in the vast majority of cases. And Im not saying we'll be in the Orange Bowl in year 3. But if our hire is good then we'll win ~8. I don't care what many of our fans do, it's irrelevant. Shafer wasn't fired because of the fans.

Totally agree here.

We're going to need to look for improvement in coaching decisions and scheme over the next few years while looking to win the tossup games.

Can't lose to South Florida at home and UConn on the road next year.

Mike London was a successful HC at 1-AA Richmond and in 2011 won at Florida State and played Virginia Tech for the Coastal division championship.

He had a resume before he was hired at UVA. Scott Shafer never was a HC and no d-1 team was going to hire him on the horizon and Syracuse gave him a chance.

Scott Shafer was not screwed. He was given a chance and didn't win enough.

Totally agree here.

We're going to need to look for improvement in coaching decisions and scheme over the next few years while looking to win the tossup games.

Can't lose to South Florida at home and UConn on the road next year.
We will lose one of USF /@UConn next year and I am okay with that. Next year is a honeymoon year.
Just develop talent and have the kids play hard and wins/losses won't be the barometer.

cuseguy said:
Totally agree here. We're going to need to look for improvement in coaching decisions and scheme over the next few years while looking to win the tossup games. Can't lose to South Florida at home and UConn on the road next year.

FWIW, it's possible the rumored Dome renovation plays a role. If that puts SU on the road for 2017 the Coyle could be telling a candidate that he gets the usual first year mulligan and a year 2 mulligan given the renovation. That means he'd have two years to ramp up the system and recruit like hell with the promise of said system and a beautiful new stadium. Year 3 would be when put it all together.

What good did it do for UVA?
Zero point zip shite. Fortunately for us, we do have some good players who can win some games for the new coach that we probalby would have lost under London. I can't and won't speak to whether SU did the right thing or not. But following our example would be a serious error on your part.

We don't know Dungey's status. And if he can play and gets dinged again, we're probably looking at Mahoney again with the same receivers.

People just need to be patient.

Five, six wins each of the next years will be an accomplishment.
Mahoney may never see the field again if he doesn't substantially improve his passing.

Less about the wins and more about the direction of the program. Shafer went to a bowl year 1 then had a 3 win year and a 4 win year. That is regressing. The bar is set very very low for Syracuse football, it almost can't be set any lower than it already is. Nobody expects 10 win seasons. But expecting to be at 6 wins every year and going to one of the many no-name bowl games isn't asking for the world either. If the next coach can be consistently at 5-7 wins and in bowl games 3 out of 4 years, he will have a job here for life probably. That's just reality

Speaking of London, he's a former DC, wonder if Frost knows him. That would be a nice DC/AHC.
He hasn't been a defensive coordinator in 8 years and has been a head coach for those 8 years. I cannot see him going backwards. I bet he takes a lower level head coaching job somewhere like William & Mary (their coach is getting close to retiring). He will probably sit out this year due to his buyout. He has banked close to $10M++ so he is not is a hurry.

cuseguy said:
Totally agree here. We're going to need to look for improvement in coaching decisions and scheme over the next few years while looking to win the tossup games. Can't lose to South Florida at home and UConn on the road next year.

Here's my opinion. Getting back some of the injured players along with all our young kids who had to play being a year older, I expect a much better team next year regardless of the coach. If we have a 3-4 win season, people can't say well it'll take time.

rrlbees said:
Here's my opinion. Getting back some of the injured players along with all our young kids who had to play being a year older, I expect a much better team next year regardless of the coach. If we have a 3-4 win season, people can't say well it'll take time.

Lots of successful coaches have a first year that's lateral to the year prior. Year 2 and 3 are what matters.

That being said, I think a good hire can improve on 4-8.

FWIW, it's possible the rumored Dome renovation plays a role. If that puts SU on the road for 2017 the Coyle could be telling a candidate that he gets the usual first year mulligan and a year 2 mulligan given the renovation. That means he'd have two years to ramp up the system and recruit like hell with the promise of said system and a beautiful new stadium. Year 3 would be when put it all together.[/QUOTE
With 20+ openings this year was coyle really smart making the move now? Throw in the fact our bew stud coach will be on the road for 1-2 years during a renovation? Does coyle withhold this from the incoming staff?

Lots of successful coaches have a first year that's lateral to the year prior. Year 2 and 3 are what matters.

That being said, I think a good hire can improve on 4-8.
With next years schedule there is no reason we can't win 6 games and get to a bowl.

2017 the schedule is killer no way to spin it. But in 2016 being at 6 wins isn't asking alot

The point is that if Coyle knows 2017 is a road year due to the renovation then it makes even more sense to make a change now. You want a new coach's first year to be that? And why on earth would that info be withheld? It's a selling point!

The point is that if Coyle knows 2017 is a road year due to the renovation then it makes even more sense to make a change now. You want a new coach's first year to be that? And why on earth would that info be withheld? It's a selling point!
Not sure if its a "road year" just that the schedule is very difficult with Miami and LSU on the road added to Clemson and FSU and the regulars we normally play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom