If London can get 6 years at UVA... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If London can get 6 years at UVA...

At this time assistants, DC OC line coaches, are more important than who the HC is going to be. Given who the players are a HC sinks or swims with the quality of his assistants.

London should have never, ever ever, ever ever ever ever got 6 years at UVA.

Stern said:
Not sure if its a "road year" just that the schedule is very difficult with Miami and LSU on the road added to Clemson and FSU and the regulars we normally play

I'm just going with the rumor that 2017 is the season that may be impacted by a Dome renovation. Honestly with that schedule all the more reason to give the new guy a 2 year mulligan and gear up for 2018.

Scooch said:
Lots of successful coaches have a first year that's lateral to the year prior. Year 2 and 3 are what matters. That being said, I think a good hire can improve on 4-8.

Agree with those points

Speaking of London, he's a former DC, wonder if Frost knows him. That would be a nice DC/AHC.
He will be a very good DC for someone. The good job he did for us as DC before going to Richmond was one of the things that our fans liked about him when he was hired.

I know, some people think SU is a unique snowflake that has problems and challenges unlike any other program in FBS.

I'll just keep pointing to the fact that dozens of other schools of all shapes and sizes have gone from absolute dreck to substantial improvement by year 3, including such notable powerhouses as Temple and Memphis.
Mostly agree. A great coach can get it done like Harbaugh did. The teams you mention however, don't play conf. games against P5 teams. Syracuse will be trying to turn this around facing 8 ACC teams, and N.D. I think depending on what players we retain, and sign, that a "great" coach next year can squeeze out 6 wins. A good coach will be struggling to get 4.

Mostly agree. A great coach can get it done like Harbaugh did. The teams you mention however, don't play conf. games against P5 teams. Syracuse will be trying to turn this around facing 8 ACC teams, and N.D. I think depending on what players we retain, and sign, that a "great" coach next year can squeeze out 6 wins. A good coach will be struggling to get 4.
Harbaugh had underachieving better regarded players so getting them back on track was probably easier than coming into SU with much less talent. There are more below average units on SU than average and very few true difference makers. How many SU starters would crack Michigan's two deep? Harbaugh has done a great job. The next UVA coach may do something similar (not on the same immediate level as Michigan) as they have more talent than London was able to get out of them. SU needs a lot of guys to surprise and others to overacheive to turn it around quickly.

cuse309 said:

3 years. I'm talking about turning a corner in year 3.

Other P5 programs have done it.

Let's not go down this road.

They have better talent.

It's not debatable.

I didn't write that much, a couple of sentences. Maybe you should read the whole thing before getting all bent about anything I write. I SAID "SUPERIOR TALENT"... SUPERIOR!!!

Pitt doesn't get superior talent. You're right, that's not debatable.

and even if they did, the amount of coaching turnover would negate that superior talent to some degree but they still continue to go to bowl games.

Coaching trumps talent.

There is no reason Shafer was blown off for his fourth year. If , as a spectator yesterday, you couldn't bring together the sum of player effort and excellent scheming and game plannimg with a walk on qb and injuries against a top 15 national defense. We didn't light it up on offense but our walk on qb made plays when he needed to by excellent coaching. It was an emotional day yesterday and unless we make a big splash with this hire and we go 7-5 next year and hold onto top recruits, then nothing makes sense. Shaf would have went 6-6 in his sleep next year. 8 qbs in 2 years, an uptick on recruiting, a dynamic young staff, and a culture that was a universal glue...we better see 8 wins within 2 years with style points. ...otherwise this is a HUGE MISTAKE.

I lost my wife this year at 43 years old from a chronic illness (lupus). Nothing is fair in this world. She loved SU sports. All I can say is just try and take in SU sports as entertainment.

Ish88888 said:
There is no reason Shafer was blown off for his fourth year. If , as a spectator yesterday, you couldn't bring together the sum of player effort and excellent scheming and game plannimg with a walk on qb and injuries against a top 15 national defense. We didn't light it up on offense but our walk on qb made plays when he needed to by excellent coaching. It was an emotional day yesterday and unless we make a big splash with this hire and we go 7-5 next year and hold onto top recruits, then nothing makes sense. Shaf would have went 6-6 in his sleep next year. 8 qbs in 2 years, an uptick on recruiting, a dynamic young staff, and a culture that was a universal glue...we better see 8 wins within 2 years with style points. ...otherwise this is a HUGE MISTAKE.

Injuries? Scheming? Good Lord that game almost set football back 50 years. Did you happen to look at BC's injuries? They were far more banged up then we were.

If anything Saturday showed just why Shafer needed to be relieved of his job.

We don't know Dungey's status. And if he can play and gets dinged again, we're probably looking at Mahoney again with the same receivers.

People just need to be patient.

Five, six wins each of the next years will be an accomplishment.

We don't, but if he stays and he can stay healthy, we have a chance to at least be a halfway decent team next year, as long as we bring in the right guy.

Get over it for Chris's sake

I have decided to take full responsibility for all of this. Every school that I attended that has a football team went 4-8 this season and fired their coach. It can't be a coincidence! I guess I am bad luck.

I agree.

Hope for the best going forward - but I thought Shafer should have been given the 4th year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom