If our OL performs/holds up we are going to score some pts. | Syracusefan.com

If our OL performs/holds up we are going to score some pts.

kcsu

Living Legend
Last year was a train wreck for so many reasons McDonald being a poor OC was a major part of it but the injuries were a much bigger reason. Hunt going down... The biggest reason however was the fact that our OL was destroyed by injuries. Somebody posted that we didnt field our first team OL all year. Maybe not even a healthy OL for the opener. This year if we can stay healthy up front i think we score over 30 a game. I really like Trudo at center. Sure he has had some snap problems but the kid is a bull with a mean streak to match. Robinson is seasoned and fights his ass off and Palmer is tough as well. Foy is the key, actually him and Trudo. If this line can perform and they should as they have a ton of experience we should move the ball.

I know that it remains to be seen but i think Hunt has a great year because Lester will play to his strengths and keep him comfortable. Outside of him we have some real weapons. Sure they are mostly unproven but they sure as heck look the part. We have a true number one receiver and i have always liked Cornster. Custis is due for a break out year add in all of the other kids and we have some real talent for a change. RB is a mystery to me but im betting on Mcfarland to shine and my dark horse is the frosh JF who seems to have a great combination of speed vision and power. Heck the kids is built like a wrecking ball already at 210.

So if the Ol stays healthy im predicting good things for this O.

Last year was a train wreck for so many reasons McDonald being a poor OC was a major part of it but the injuries were a much bigger reason. Hunt going down... The biggest reason however was the fact that our OL was destroyed by injuries. Somebody posted that we didnt field our first team OL all year. Maybe not even a healthy OL for the opener. This year if we can stay healthy up front i think we score over 30 a game. I really like Trudo at center. Sure he has had some snap problems but the kid is a bull with a mean streak to match. Robinson is seasoned and fights his ass off and Palmer is tough as well. Foy is the key, actually him and Trudo. If this line can perform and they should as they have a ton of experience we should move the ball.

I know that it remains to be seen but i think Hunt has a great year because Lester will play to his strengths and keep him comfortable. Outside of him we have some real weapons. Sure they are mostly unproven but they sure as heck look the part. We have a true number one receiver and i have always liked Cornster. Custis is due for a break out year add in all of the other kids and we have some real talent for a change. RB is a mystery to me but im betting on Mcfarland to shine and my dark horse is the frosh JF who seems to have a great combination of speed vision and power. Heck the kids is built like a wrecking ball already at 210.

So if the Ol stays healthy im predicting good things for this O.
From your lips...

I think a minimum of 3k total yards and 25+ total tds is very realistic for hunt this year.

Im really interested to see the chemistry between ishmael and hunt.

I like the optimism in this thread with respect to the offense. Most people think there's no reason for this optimism but I believe most people are underestimating the negative impact of coach McF$&!?it.

The injuries were horrific but that point does not explain Villanova. The only explanation for Villanova was that the team was not prepared correctly and not clear and confident in what they were doing. That falls on coach.

This year, in stark contrast to last year,
1) the offense is tailored to the talent
2) the offense is simplified in terms of execution
3) the offensive coaches are in sync
4) the right plays will be called for the right players

I too am optimistic that these changes will get us to average offensively. That's a huge jump, but a reasonable expectation.

We'll know quickly. The first 3 weeks should be telling.

Go Orange!

Florange44

Our OC thought the single biggest hurdle to overcome last year was losing Broyld & Estime. McD's offense was based on those two being centerpieces. OL injuries and 4 QB's were certainly an issue, but, not the biggest IHO.

Fin-
I'm sure losing those 2 guys were important factors. I suspect that our current OC is showing some professional courtesy toward our previous OC when he makes that statement though.

I agree that having them healthy is a 5th reason why we'll be better this year.

FlOrange44

florange44 said:
Fin- I'm sure losing those 2 guys were important factors. I suspect that our current OC is showing some professional courtesy toward our previous OC when he makes that statement though. I agree that having them healthy is a 5th reason why we'll be better this year. FlOrange44

I don't know last seasons offense seemed to regress from the strides the 2013 was seeming to make at the end of the season.

After Hunt went out, we were rotating QBs who had not taken a single snap in a D1 game prior to the season. Two lightly recruited red shirts, and one undersized true frosh. Most important position on the field. We never want the program to be in that position again.

If Hunt is healthy, we have a chance. Behind him, at least Wilson & Long have some game experience, and another year of development, and Dungey has legit size. Far from ideal, but much better than the empty cupboard Shafer had in 2014.

As for the OL, the key is being able to run the ball. Our guys did not get much push, or open many holes, even when healthy. We have veterans everywhere (except Roberts) and a veteran TE. Are they strong enough to get better push and run the ball? Simple as that.

The poor OL play surprised me the most last year. Nobody can convince me it's a given they will perform significantly better this year. That unit, despite the injuries, still underperformed. And it's not the players. So I definitely agree, the success of the OL will have a huge impact on the success of the team overall. The players are good enough to at least get us to a bowl.

qdawgg said:
The poor OL play surprised me the most last year. Nobody can convince me it's a given they will perform significantly better this year. That unit, despite the injuries, still underperformed. And it's not the players. So I definitely agree, the success of the OL will have a huge impact on the success of the team overall. The players are good enough to at least get us to a bowl.

We know a few of things:

1. The line was never whole last season. Even game one had an injured starter and a guy playing out of position.

2. The scheme was predicated on using short passing routes as runs. I'm guessing that was/is not a favorite option for linemen who usually like to run block.

3. Mcit and Adams did not get along. I've read here that Adams was not able to share anything with the OC. Just run it.

4. The new scheme involves s lot of zone blocking. Not sure is we did a ton of that last year. But the new system could help the oline.

5. With Hunt, early - we were in the top 20 in not allowing sacks. Inexperienced QB's get sacked more. And by then our line was riddled with injuries.

6. We know Shafer thinks the line needed extra eyes/coaching - as he broke up the line duties with the new TE coach.

I'm not sure we'll be significantly better either. But those guys have played a lot of college ball. And as usual - a lot of its on Lester and the new system/play calls, etc.

I'm not sure we'll be significantly better either. But those guys have played a lot of college ball. And as usual - a lot of its on Lester and the new system/play calls, etc.

Despite saying nobody can convince me it's a given they will improve significantly, I do actually believe they will/can. Might sound a little contradictory but I know what I mean :D. I'm not just going to assume they will because it's a new year and the coaching staff is throwing out the right verbiage; I'm going to take a wait and see. But down deep I think this unit shows the biggest overall improvement. I think the players have the ability, hopefully coaching has improved and things are being done in a more seamless way between the playbook, coaches, and then the necessary coaching to the players.

Despite saying nobody can convince me it's a given they will improve significantly, I do actually believe they will/can. Might sound a little contradictory but I know what I mean :D. I'm not just going to assume they will because it's a new year and the coaching staff is throwing out the right verbiage; I'm going to take a wait and see. But down deep I think this unit shows the biggest overall improvement. I think the players have the ability, hopefully coaching has improved and things are being done in a more seamless way between the playbook, coaches, and then the necessary coaching to the players.

It is a given that the offense will be better than the second half of 2014. Not saying a lot -- just having Hunt back makes a huge difference in the run game.
As for the OL, it is on the players (talent and strength) more than the coaches. It isn't that complicated. Can you run block or not? We have some talent in the skill positions (Estime and Broyld aren't even starters because Ishmael & Phillips are better) but we need Hunt & McFarlane to run behind an improved OL. The rest (schemes, playbook) is mainly noise.

SUOL.png

So that's what, 2 games that they started with the line starters in place? I doubt they even made it through those entire game too.

I would say 6 games. Robinson and Palmer are basically interchangeable. Worst case the drop off is insignificant.

I do think the OL can be better just because the core of the group (Trudo, Foy, Robinson) have each started on 2 of the better OL's in the past 15 years. But I do agree that the regression was just not on the players. I know people like to go on the defensive, but there is absolutely no denying there was a major drop off in coaching when we went from Marrone/Adkins to Perles, and then to Adam. imo the talent is there. They definitely under performed, but we need to see improvements from both the players, and the OL coaching.

So that's what, 2 games that they started with the line starters in place? I doubt they even made it through those entire game too.

Injuries happen. An ACC team should have 3 spare OL who can play without a big drop in quality, and a second QB who can play.

The real question is why we had zero depth at OT and QB. Comes back to recruiting.

SoBristol said:
Injuries happen. An ACC team should have 3 spare OL who can play without a big drop in quality, and a second QB who can play. The real question is why we had zero depth at OT and QB. Comes back to recruiting.

Yep. Like it's been said - Marrone great game planner, very very average recruiter.

Yep. Like it's been said - Marrone great game planner, very very average recruiter.

I don't know. I would have liked to see what he could have done with the facilities we have now, and 3 bowl games in 5 years. I bet you it would be just as good as we are doing now, and every praises HCSS as a great recruiter.

Based on what? His 1st recruiting season which he had like 1.5 - 2.5 months to recruit. The hole the program was in. The money he was expected to pay his coaches without being laughed at? You give a lot of reasons for why things were not successful last year but the same is true for the hurdles Marrone faced in recruiting. Not saying he was stellar but I wouldn't use the phrase "very very average".

anomander said:
I don't know. I would have liked to see what he could have done with the facilities we have now, and 3 bowl games in 5 years. I bet you it would be just as good as we are doing now, and every praises HCSS as a great recruiter.

There's not much he did prior would lead to that conclusion.. But I'll agree that the IPF and ACC help a ton.

qdawgg said:
Based on what? His 1st recruiting season which he had like 1.5 - 2.5 months to recruit. The hole the program was in. The money he was expected to pay his coaches without being laughed at? You give a lot of reasons for why things were not successful last year but the same is true for the hurdles Marrone faced in recruiting. Not saying he was stellar but I wouldn't use the phrase "very very average".

I'm a Marrone fan - but recruiting was not something he enjoyed and it showed.

Anomander is right in that the wind is that current staffs back a bit - but I'd still take this staff as recruiters hands down.

TheCusian said:
There's not much he did prior would lead to that conclusion.. But I'll agree that the IPF and ACC help a ton.

What did anyone expect? We had the absolute worst facilities of any P5 program. Forget the IPF we didn't have anything until renovations were completed in 2012. That and he was recruiting after the Gerb debacle. The first class he didn't have any time, and the classes after that were put together with basically no resources available. His last class was shaping up to be pretty good until he left, and so did the recruits. At least he had a sound plan, and a system he used for identifying talent. I would be shocked if he wouldn't be pulling the same class rankings.

I'm a Marrone fan - but recruiting was not something he enjoyed and it showed.

Anomander is right in that the wind is that current staffs back a bit - but I'd still take this staff as recruiters hands down.

I realize he didn't enjoy it but I'm not sure it showed. That staff was all over the place as much as they could be representing a disaster of a program. The players always had nice things to say about Marrone as well as the rest of the staff and we were in on some top guys that at the time "we" couldn't believe would even give us a look.

I think Shafer is doing a better job than Marrone did and things appear to be slowly getting better and better. But Marrone was starting with nothing and I think he did a pretty exceptional job with the cards he was dealt, as far as recruiting is concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom