If Shafer puts up a stinker this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Shafer puts up a stinker this year

OrangePA said:
Can't mention Robinson in same sentence as Marrone. No comparison. Is bring Marrone back in a heartbeat.

Marrone's great at saving the patient and nursing him back to health. Not sure he's good enough to train the guy to championship form.

Marrone was the perfect choice to replace GROB. We went from a program with no accountability by it's players to one with a tremendous amount of it. Zero discipline to a lot of discipline. With both SU and the Bills, DM has shown that he is too thin skinned to stick around anywhere too long. Hard to build a championship team from the ground up when you don't stay. Thin skinned or not, leaving SU made sense, there are only 32 NFL jobs. Leaving Buffalo after two years was a hissyfit on his part and an overestimation of his worth by both DM and his agent.

Marrone's great at saving the patient and nursing him back to health. Not sure he's good enough to train the guy to championship form.
He'll nurse the patient just enough to make it look like he saved his life, only to then jump out the window and run toward the next hospital when he realizes he doesn't have the right medicine to ultimately save him.

Marrone was the perfect choice to replace GROB. We went from a program with no accountability by it's players to one with a tremendous amount of it. Zero discipline to a lot of discipline. With both SU and the Bills, DM has shown that he is too thin skinned to stick around anywhere too long. Hard to build a championship team from the ground up when you don't stay. Thin skinned or not, leaving SU made sense, there are only 32 NFL jobs. Leaving Buffalo after two years was a hissyfit on his part and an overestimation of his worth by both DM and his agent.

Well summarized no need for much else.

djorange1989 said:

Define discipline. Off the field Marrone had plenty of discipline issues. I define a big part of on field discipline as penalties and turnovers. I didn't look up stats but it sure felt like we had a lot of problems there too. If you mean wearing a suit and tie and knowing which fork to use at the dinner table, cool.

Define discipline. Off the field Marrone had plenty of discipline issues. I define a big part of on field discipline as penalties and turnovers. I didn't look up stats but it sure felt like we had a lot of problems there too. If you mean wearing a suit and tie and knowing which fork to use at the dinner table, cool.

Agreed, Doug I am sure is very disciplined, his teams not so much on or off the field

Hey, we may have had plenty of arrests and sloppy play but dammit we looked good walking off an airplane! Your points are well taken, but compared to GROB they were a more disciplined team on the field and a team in much better physical shape. Off the field, yeah, the police blotter was getting pretty full.

You can only control so much as a coach. You can preach accountability and discipline when they're in your presence. You can hold them accountable when they don't live up to the expectations you've set, which I believe we saw multiple examples of.

Holding their hand at 1AM? Tough to keep an eye on them then.

All programs, and I mean all, have these issues. How much gets into the press or court system is all a matter of luck and/or ability to keep it off the radar.

He had individuals that needed to be disciplined. He disciplined them.

xc84 said:
He had individuals that needed to be disciplined. He disciplined them.

That's not having a disciplined team. If I have to discipline my kid every week for doing something wrong, it might make me a disciplinarian but it doesn't mean my kid is disciplined nor showing discipline.

That's not having a disciplined team. If I have to discipline my kid every week for doing something wrong, it might make me a disciplinarian but it doesn't mean my kid is disciplined nor showing discipline.
Well, some coaches let things slide. Marrone didn't.

I do agree that they were not an overly disciplined team on the field.