If Shafer whacked Bullough and took over | Syracusefan.com

If Shafer whacked Bullough and took over

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatOrange

Living Legend
as Defensive Coordinator. Where would you fill the open staff position?

Shafer – Head Coach / Defensive Coordinator

McDonald – Associate Head Coach / Offensive Coordinator

Daoust – Assistant Head Coach / Defensive Line

Lea – Linebackers

Lester – Quarterbacks Coach / Recruiting Coordinator

Moore – Wide Receivers Coach

Perles – Offensive Line Coach

Reed – Defensive Backs Coach

Smith – Running Backs Coach

Never noticed before that Tight Ends are not specifically assigned to any coach. I guess we really did remove them from the playbook/team.

I think I’d lean towards hiring a second DB coach to take over safeties, and hire heavy on the recruiting angle.

Special team/DB dual role. I still want someone with Maryland, Virginia, and DC connections.

Paul Pasqualoni, TE/STC.

images

Paul Pasqualoni, TE/STC.

images

You may all think I am crazy but hiring Coach P would help to shore up recruiting in the NE. He has so many connections and is so well liked by the high school coaches in NY, NJ and CT assuming he was willing to step down into a non-HC position. Btw, he was the headliner coach at the NY coaches association annual meeting when he first became HC at UConn (they bumped Marrone btw).

I just don't see Shafer taking it on. He said himself, that he's been a booth coach his whole career. Can't imagine him taking the DC role from the sidelines. That's why he hired Bullough in the first place, figured it was an extension of his style. Don't know how much input Shafer has right now in the D, but now that this option fiasco is behind them, they need to finish strong. Only one elite offense in the last 5 games.

Paul Pasqualoni, TE/STC.

images

In a heartbeat, one thing we always had was good special teams, and he isn't a half bad recruitor. Time to mend ties and bring Coach P back to SU! He wouldn't come back though for this position.

I just don't see Shafer taking it on. He said himself, that he's been a booth coach his whole career. Can't imagine him taking the DC role from the sidelines. That's why he hired Bullough in the first place, figured it was an extension of his style. Don't know how much input Shafer has right now in the D, but now that this option fiasco is behind them, they need to finish strong. Only one elite offense in the last 5 games.

No I don’t think he’d take it on either but there are so many coaches out there who do and do a good job of it.

Personally, I think some of our coaches need to get out of the booth.

You may all think I am crazy but hiring Coach P would help to shore up recruiting in the NE. He has so many connections and is so well liked by the high school coaches in NY, NJ and CT assuming he was willing to step down into a non-HC position. Btw, he was the headliner coach at the NY coaches association annual meeting when he first became HC at UConn (they bumped Marrone btw).
I think he'd be a great position coach but I couldn't disagree more from a recruiting standpoint. He may be well liked, by all accounts he was/is, but those coaches that like him don't send their kids to him. We saw it with the erosion of our recruiting at the end of his era (ray rice may have been coming here, but one kid doesn't make a whole class) and we saw it again at UConn.

If he doesn't want to retire, the NFL is a perfect place for him.

Last edited:
you bring in a new DC. He should follow it up by sending Moore packing and bringing in a TE/SPT coach with some recruiting ability. McDonald can handle the WRs.

Paul Pasqualoni, TE/STC.

images
There is no way in hell he'd take that job, but it would be intriguing. After all, the dude did spend a season coaching tight ends for the Cowboys in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.