If SU athletics was publically traded, would you buy, sell, or hold? | Syracusefan.com

If SU athletics was publically traded, would you buy, sell, or hold?

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
*Yes, I know I spelt publicly wrong in the title.

Figured this could be an interesting offseason discussion. My friend and I were debating this over the course of the past weekend...if SU athletics was publicly traded, what would you do with the stock?

I would imagine that the stock would currently be beaten down quite a bit after rising significantly after SU's inclusion into the ACC.

The negatives:
-Current NCAA mess
-The uncertainty over what happens after Boeheim retires
-Uncertainty of not having a full time AD
-Very poor football team with dismal attendance
-In a bit of a lull after the successes of recent basketball teams

The positives:
-ACC money
-Strong overall leadership in chancellor Syverud
-Opportunity to hit a homerun and hire a notable AD
-Jim Boeheim is still coaching
-Great basketball recruiting class
-Tremendous support for the basketball program
-ACC is not that great in football, so the team can surprise and win their fair share of games
-Lacrosse powerhouse

Honestly, I think I would have sold most of my SU stock. The basketball team has established itself as a perennial contender, so there is not really that much higher for it to go. And when Boeheim does call it quits, what are the chances that the program gets taken up a notch? Looking at those who followed legends, it's far more likely for the program to slip a bit.

As for the football team, I just don't see how they will ever become a notable team again. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it.

The only reason I would not have sold all my shares is that I believe SU is in great hands with Chancellor Syverud. Regardless as to what happens on the field or court, I think he will steer the overall ship in the right direction.

*Yes, I know I spelt publicly wrong in the title.

Figured this could be an interesting offseason discussion. My friend and I were debating this over the course of the past weekend...if SU athletics was publicly traded, what would you do with the stock?

I would imagine that the stock would currently be beaten down quite a bit after rising significantly after SU's inclusion into the ACC.

The negatives:
-Current NCAA mess
-The uncertainty over what happens after Boeheim retires
-Uncertainty of not having a full time AD
-Very poor football team with dismal attendance
-In a bit of a lull after the successes of recent basketball teams

The positives:
-ACC money
-Strong overall leadership in chancellor Syverud
-Opportunity to hit a homerun and hire a notable AD
-Jim Boeheim is still coaching
-Great basketball recruiting class
-Tremendous support for the basketball program
-ACC is not that great in football, so the team can surprise and win their fair share of games
-Lacrosse powerhouse

Honestly, I think I would have sold most of my SU stock. The basketball team has established itself as a perennial contender, so there is not really that much higher for it to go. And when Boeheim does call it quits, what are the chances that the program gets taken up a notch? Looking at those who followed legends, it's far more likely for the program to slip a bit.

As for the football team, I just don't see how they will ever become a notable team again. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it.

The only reason I would not have sold all my shares is that I believe SU is in great hands with Chancellor Syverud. Regardless as to what happens on the field or court, I think he will steer the overall ship in the right direction.
Call options with a close eye on time value or short butterfly spread since volatility is likely to be higher once we approach outcome on appeal and / or the recruiting landscape changes. Whatever the mechanism, I'd be long NASDAQ: SUAD. I think Syverud will do a great job on the next AD hire, football will improve (even if only marginally), basketball's undervalued and the long term value of inclusion in the ACC has yet to be realized.

Buy low, sell high.

Recruitments about to pick up in football soon.

...I hope

gotta be trading at a discount. Buy it in the {pee} trough it's in, sell it the next time SU makes a football bowl and Final 4 in the same season at it's peak.

Call options with a close eye on time value or short butterfly spread since volatility is likely to be higher once we approach outcome on appeal and / or the recruiting landscape changes. Whatever the mechanism, I'd be long NASDAQ: SUAD. I think Syverud will do a great job on the next AD hire, football will improve (even if only marginally), basketball's undervalued and the long term value of inclusion in the ACC has yet to be realized.

A short butterfly spread? Your max gain is at inception and you want the price to finish outside either wing...I don't get the point you are trying to make...

Shorting an at-the money fly is, I guess, slightly bullish, since you will make the premium you sold it for as the strikes will be far out of the money if the stock rises by expiration. But there are much better ways to get long.

Buy when everyone else is selling - it's how you make money (wish I could follow my own advice for real). The market is forward-looking, so looking forward at SU, SU is a screaming buy. The bad news is out so "investors" (fans/media) will start coming back in.

Last edited:
Outsider's opinion - I'd hold. A lot of dust needs to settle out more before one can really determine the long-term direction of the trends.

Honestly, the future of the Carrier Dome is our biggest unknown. The Carrier Dome launched a 20-25 year era of sustained success for SU Football, Hoops, Lax. And Jim Boeheim too.
I hope our Chancellor understand this.

Id buy the crap out of it right now.

Think of it as GE in 2009ish. It was at $7 because of the financial industry. But finance was just a part of GE's portfolio. They were very erroneously low based on fear. Stupid. Clear cut sign to buy.

Most of the airlines nose dived in the Ebola scare. Are you kidding me?

Id buy the crap out of it right now.

Think of it as GE in 2009ish. It was at $7 because of the financial industry. But finance was just a part of GE's portfolio. They were very erroneously low based on fear. Stupid. Clear cut sign to buy.

Most of the airlines nose dived in the Ebola scare. Are you kidding me?

Best investment advice I can give: on the day of an airplane crash, buy Boeing (ticker BA), retire happy.

Well, I would have to analyze the three major sub-components:

Hoops - coming off a multi-year high w one down year - so far. Program in transition. If nothing can be done to reduce the Scholie loss punishment the odds are against us re-gaining near term excellence with only 10 players. Yeah, Jimmy only plays 7.5, but it is a lot harder to find those 7.5 out of ten than it was out of 13. Outlook - probable mediocrity over the next several years. A couple of unplanned one and dones could be a significant coup de grace against near term success on a short roster.

Football - We are in over our head's against some of the powerhouse ACC programs. Again, the outlook is mediocrity forward going. If Hunt can't return to form things could get really ugly next season.

LAX - Some upside here since we remain a perpetual powerhouse and since our success is measured in NC's and we haven't had one for several years. We may be overdue now that we have a face-off stud.

All in all, even though we would be selling low, unfortunately, that is because the overall outlook has changed for the worse as our PE contracts. My prognosis would be to sell and move onto something better unless one has a really long term investment time horizon.

All in all, even though we would be selling low, unfortunately, that is because the overall outlook has changed for the worse as our PE contracts. My prognosis would be to sell and move onto something better unless one has a really long term investment time horizon.

In the long run we're all dead.
:(

Better advise. On the day of an airplane crash, don't be on that plane.

Odds are in your favor, for both avoiding being a victim of an airplane crash, and the market overreacting to manufacturers when they do occur.

Shorting an at-the money fly is, I guess, slightly bullish, since you will make the premium you sold it for as the strikes will be far out of the money if the stock rises by expiration. But there are much better ways to get long.

Agree with this...shorting a fly is bullish the way writing a put is bullish...Not really.

And if you want to make money from vol, buy a straddle.

Hard not to buy during college football season with syracuse tradion the carrier dome, but they need to get a coach who builds and sticks with a program. With all the ups and downs they need someone that bleeds syracuse football can coach recruit and won't jump for the money.

I love syracuse basketball, and will be loyal to JB hes done great things, but I wish we could get some guards who faceguard and play some lockdown pressure defense up top. Its time to go 4 deep for that reason up top. Losing Ron patteson was the worst thing that could happen imo, it pulls us even further from that direction.
All the other hardships will pass over time with patience. There is just something about sports that play with fire as opposed to smart ball. Its more fun to watch. The program needs a clean fresh look like the 09-10 and 11-12 teams had.. badly.

As for lacrosse are we the best program in the country yes, but you get the feeling duke will catch up in another 18-30 years funny that it will take them that long though.

I don't see it as buy or sell but can they get their stuff straight??

I am also all in on making us a state school it would be best for the university if we had the balls to do it. Instead of saying we are ny's college team lets take it with faith. NY needs a state school, lets make it us before it shoots us in the foot. Heck we have done everything else in the scope of college sports in the last 10 years, what the heck do we have to lose??? Spend the money and make it happen already. What are we waiting for? Even if we had to change the name of the university to nyuniversity it would be worth it in the longrun.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom