If SU were an NBA Franchise | Syracusefan.com

If SU were an NBA Franchise

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
I would be tempted to blow up the roster and bring in 13 guys next year. I'm a little bit concerned about how the pieces are going to fit together next year. I think the roster has the potential to be another offensive cluster F.

The lack of a true point/lead guard is going to be a problem....I think Joseph needs to take a huge step forward or we may have a lower ceiling than people are going to be happy with.

I also think there are too many minutes committed to guys at positions where our most talented (or most likely to make a contribution next season) recruits play. As of now it looks like the most likely source of immediate help is Richardson and then maybe Howard. They can play the 2 or 3, probably more 2 than 3. People have said Howard can play point, but my guess is that if he does, it will be down the road and not as a frosh. The Kaleb Joseph freshman experience tells me not to expect anything at lead guard from anyone in the incoming class.

Cooney can play the 2. He can not play the 1 or 3. G can play the 1, 2 or 3 but should be at the 2 or 3 and not the 1. That means two of our biggest returning minutes guys are at the two positions where the guys most likely to add offense could help out. Does anyone really see Cooney or G's minuets being significantly reduced next season in order to get Richardson, much less Howard, minutes?

Same thing on the interior. CMac, Roberson and DCII returning. CMac and Roberson should both be playing the 4. Roberson's offensive game is presently too limited for him to play the 3 effectively IMO. We can not play next season with limited shooters at the 1 and 3 simultaneously. I don't see Chris' offensive game opening up if the lane is clogged with defenders because we don't have enough outside shooting to draw defenders away from the paint.

I know guys will take steps forward, but not sure I'm seeing how it will round into a cohesive offensive unit.

Too early to give up on Joseph. He needs a lot of work on defense, but I think he can make strides as I don't question his work ethic.

Wouldn't be surprised to see SU go smaller if Coleman isn't 100%. CMac can play the 5 against certain teams and G can play the 1 if there are guys on the floor who can make outside shots and open the lane for him.

I understand what you're saying. I think it's on JB to make it work and I believe he can.

It's certainly possible to field a starting 5 where everyone is playing in position. 1. Joseph 2. Cooney 3. Gbinije 4. McCullough 5. Coleman/Bryant/Diagne

At that point, we have Richardson and Roberson as the first two off the bench. As we bring in bench players and account for foul trouble, guys will have to be flexible in order to stay on the court (which I would guess is the case on most teams). McCullough may have to fill in at the 5. Roberson and Richardson may have to play the 3. G may have to play the 1. It may not always be pretty, but I think our players are versatile enough to get it done, and I'm excited by the returning players and the deeper bench.

I see this happening, assuming we return the expected players and leaving Bryant out of the picture:

PG- Joesph gets the start and 30 mpg (we're in agreement that he needs to step it up big time). Howard could get the remaining minutes if he's up to it. He's coming here to play PG and that's the high school and AAU position he plays. If Joseph was expected to get backup minutes behind Ennis, I don't see why Howard wouldn't be able to be a backup PG. If Howard isn't ready, G's obviously gonna get PG minutes out of necessity.

SG- Cooney will get minutes in the mid-high 20's per game. Malachi will be in the low-mid teens. This seems like a reasonable split for a Freshman behind a Senior. There's also leeway for more minutes if one of them is shooting well.

SF- Gbinije starts and gets minutes in the high 20's per game and he'll likely get random minutes at a guard spot. Roberson or BJ will get whatever remaining minutes there are.

PF- CMac starts and splits time at PF and backup Center. Again, assuming no Bryant, CMac's looking at about 10mpg at Center which opens more playing time for BJ and Roberson.

C- Coleman starts and is backed up by CMac. I think Diagne could also play Center in the zone, but I haven't quite figured out how he's going to fit next season. I expect big things from the kid, but next season might not be his opportunity.

Patterson's the odd man out unless he miraculously turns into a PG.

Couple things are clear: Coach has no real love for KJ or Patterson. He's said at least once this year that the only reason he plays either one of them is because he has to have 5 guys on the court. That is the harshest criticism I have ever hear him give of a player. They will have to fight for every single minute they get. The freshmen have every chance to beat them out for minutes.

Cooney, Mike G, and Roberson will be untouchables next year. They will each play 40 unless one of the backups prove to have a very solid reason for JB to put him out there (great defense, great shooting, etc). McCullough will be the #1 forward on the side opposite TR and his playing well will mean Mike G will not play at the forward spot unless foul trouble takes out one of them (and this is not considering DC at all). I think we will basically never see G at forward again.

I think right now it appears that right now the going in position for next season is G at PG.

You have Joseph to spell him there (he may not be Sherm Douglas, but by next year he should be capable of quality minutes, at least 10 - 15 mpg). If Richardson can shoot then he spells Cooney at the SG. That would provide a monster zone size wise with G and MR up top and TR, CM, and DC (or possibly TB) on the bottom. Howard is possibly also worked into this mix above Patterson (and or Joseph). Lydon will be on equal footing with BJ if he is still around. If Lydon shoots better in practice and or has the first clue of where to be on defense, then he will beat BJ out for minutes.

I think you have to start G. With an offseason at point hopefully he becomes more comfortable. Cooney is obviously at the 2. I'd like BJJ to bulk up and start at the 3. McCullough at the 4 with whatever Centers we have at the 5.

Starters: G-Cooney-BJJ-McCullough-Center

Bench in order of minutes: Richardson, Backup C, Roberson, Joseph.

We need shooters and Roberson isn't a shooter and has been exposed against some bigger teams at the 4. He's a bench player imo.

I think you have to start G. With an offseason at point hopefully he becomes more comfortable. Cooney is obviously at the 2. I'd like BJJ to bulk up and start at the 3. McCullough at the 4 with whatever Centers we have at the 5.

We need shooters and Roberson isn't a shooter and has been exposed against some bigger teams at the 4. He's a bench player imo.

Ouch, sorry but no whay Jose. BJ is going to start over Roberson? Holy heck! Monkeys will fly out of Boeheim's butt before that would happen. If Roberson got shot 15 minutes before tip off - he would still start over BJ!

I think Roberson will come off the bench, but I think he'll be the leader in bench minutes

Are you guys on the reefer??? Roberson is not going to start? Mind = Blown.

Are you guys on the reefer??? Roberson is not going to start? Mind = Blown.

I think he only starts if Coleman isn't playing and CMac starts at the 5.

Folks, we have 7 months until next season, please use this time to get yourselves to accept that Cooney will average 35 minutes per game in ACC games next year. Thanks in advance.

Folks, we have 7 months until next season, please use this time to get yourselves to accept that Cooney will average 35 minutes per game in ACC games next year. Thanks in advance.

Exactly. Anyone who think Cooney wont be playing 35mpg AT LEAST next year is smoking something fierce.

I don't see it. We'll finally have a backup for him, and if all goes well at the PG and forward positions, G might play some SG. He gets 35 now with no capable backup. Unless everybody is wrong about Richardson, I don't see how his minutes wouldn't drop.

Exactly. Anyone who think Cooney wont be playing 35mpg AT LEAST next year is smoking something fierce.

dammit I don't even remember smoking it. must be powerful stuff

If Mike is back I also do not see Tyler starting. Chris will start for sure and then Tyler kind of becomes an offensive block playing the forward next to him IMO. I expect Coleman to get limited minutes to protect that knee and that's why I don't see him starting. PG is really the interesting rotational question at this point. I think Kaleb wins the job but he will be on a tight leash and unless he drastically improves offensively he could be sat fro defense allowing a backcourt of Trevor, Malachi and then Mike as the point forward. its also possible that Frank really impresses and he either works his way into splitting minutes at the PG or even starting although I expect that is less likely. We may see whomever is playing the best defense between Kaleb, Malachi and Frank getting more minutes game to game.

PG: Kaleb, Frank, (Malachi, Trevor or Mike at times if both struggle)
SG: Trevor, Malachi
SF: Mike, Tyler
PF: Chris, Tyler
C: Thomas, DC2, Diange,

I don't see it. We'll finally have a backup for him, and if all goes well at the PG and forward positions, G might play some SG. He gets 35 now with no capable backup. Unless everybody is wrong about Richardson, I don't see how his minutes wouldn't drop.

JB isn't changing next year. We can pick apart Cooney's offense and his shooting percentage, but JB loves the way he plays at the top of the zone. Richardson might get his minutes at the expense of Joseph/Patterson- especially with G able to handle the ball, but he's going to have to show he is a willing and capable defender.

Couple things are clear: Coach has no real love for KJ or Patterson. He's said at least once this year that the only reason he plays either one of them is because he has to have 5 guys on the court. That is the harshest criticism I have ever hear him give of a player. They will have to fight for every single minute they get. The freshmen have every chance to beat them out for minutes.

Cooney, Mike G, and Roberson will be untouchables next year. They will each play 40 unless one of the backups prove to have a very solid reason for JB to put him out there (great defense, great shooting, etc). McCullough will be the #1 forward on the side opposite TR and his playing well will mean Mike G will not play at the forward spot unless foul trouble takes out one of them (and this is not considering DC at all). I think we will basically never see G at forward again.

I think right now it appears that right now the going in position for next season is G at PG.

You have Joseph to spell him there (he may not be Sherm Douglas, but by next year he should be capable of quality minutes, at least 10 - 15 mpg). If Richardson can shoot then he spells Cooney at the SG. That would provide a monster zone size wise with G and MR up top and TR, CM, and DC (or possibly TB) on the bottom. Howard is possibly also worked into this mix above Patterson (and or Joseph). Lydon will be on equal footing with BJ if he is still around. If Lydon shoots better in practice and or has the first clue of where to be on defense, then he will beat BJ out for minutes.
It's gonna be Mike G, Cooney, and Richardson that start. No way he starts Joseph over Malachi unless he really improves. I'll be quite honest, I think Howard will be better than Joseph next year. I like the front court a lot if Cmac can get healthy. Him and Roberson rotating. While a hopefully healthy DC, HOPEFULLY Bryant, and Diagne can rotate at Center with Diagne maybe getting some time at the 4. Buss or Chino transfers.. Again, A LOT of IF's... Bottom line, this team has to get a point guard. No one can create for each other and it's depressing basketball to watch. Our best creator, Rak, is leaving. BJ rotates in at the three when Mike has to move up and be the 1 or 2. I think BJ can improve and has shown decent improvements. Shot is too mechanical and needs to get it a little quicker. Needs to get stronger so he can rebound

All the next year speculation makes me smile when I recall that last year around this time, G was either a wasted scholarship or at best a 6th man. Today there are (other) threads in which there's fear he's going to declare early. Players develop differently; some slowly (Laz Sims, D Nicholls), and some hardly at all (Josh Wright, Matt Gorman, Terrence Roberts). They don't have a light switch you can just hit, you have to wait until they see the light themselves. :noidea:

JB isn't changing next year. We can pick apart Cooney's offense and his shooting percentage, but JB loves the way he plays at the top of the zone. Richardson might get his minutes at the expense of Joseph/Patterson- especially with G able to handle the ball, but he's going to have to show he is a willing and capable defender.

Richardson doesn't play PG and I highly highly doubt he'll play SF. If you project 35mpg for Cooney, you're saying Malachi gets 5mpg? I don't think so

Here is how I see it playing out in the "way too early" prediction thread that seems to be unfolding here. I am an optimist, so I am going to assume for the sake of my post that G stays, Coleman can provide regular minutes next season (though maybe not starter minutes) and we do end up with Bryant. If those things happen: I see the lineup and playing time breaking down something like:

PG: Gbinije 25 Joseph 15 (Gbinije plays the "3" in the zone)
SG: Cooney 35, Richardson 5
SF: Richardson 20, Gbinije 10, Roberson 10 (Richardson plays "1" in the zone)
PF: McColllough 25 Roberson 15
C: Bryant 25 Coleman 15

8 man rotation, with Diagne, Howard, Lydon, BJJ and Obokoh seeing minutes sparingly.

Total minutes breakdown: Cooney 35, Gbinije 35, McCollough 25, Richardson 25, Bryant 25, Roberson 25, Joseph 15, Coleman 15. This is obviously for ACC play, in the early season I am sure we will see plenty of Diagne/Howard/Lydon/BJJ/Obokoh. My guess is that Patterson takes off, before last night I thought BJ, but after he started and played nearly 40 minutes against Virginia I am now thinking it'll be Ron.

Anyways, I think there is a lot about this lineup to like if you are a Cuse fan. You have Cooney and Richardson at the top most times with Gbinije playing his 3 spot, then you have a 3 guard lineup on offense. You have 4 great shooters on the court, and if Bryant can give us anything on offense possibly 5 scorers. You have a very solid bench core of Roberson, Coleman and Joseph. Then you have players like Johnson, Howard, Lydon, Obokoh and Diagne to fill in any emergency stop gaps that are needed. The only base I don't see covered is a "true point guard", but I think Gbinije can become that. If we land Bryant I think we have every reason to expect a great team next year. Even if we do not we should be damn good.

I can see Roberson not starting...but ONLY if Thomas Bryant comes to Syracuse, and depending on what happens with the PG position. If Gbinije stays at SF, and Bryant comes, then I don't see any way the starting front line isn't Gbinije/McCullough/Bryant.

I should clarify that the reason I don't have him starting is that Gbinije's in his spot. I really don't see G being our starting PG, but I could be wrong.
Agreed - I think we need his scoring to much to start him at point guard. IMO, he'll be more of a point Forward

Coleman (or Bryant if he comes)
CM
G
Cooney
Joseph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online