If THAT'S what he drew up | Syracusefan.com

If THAT'S what he drew up

Tough to run a play with no play maker on the floor. Who would have thought, the season came down to Cooney having to make a play. Hopefully whoever our guards are next year, they can actually shoot. Triche and MCW struggled with their outside shot all season. This team was offensively challenged this season, and when Southerland started, there wasn't much firepower on the bench. Getting nothing from the guards and Southerland, it's surprising it was this close but I guess the defense kept them in this game as it has all season. Great run for a team and in retrospect, a final 4 was a huge accomplishment for this team. They gave it a great effort but were beat by a team with more answers, especially on the offensive end. McGary was a load inside and they had multiple shooters around him.

It's funny, I was kinda hoping JB would put the ball in Grants hands to make the play.

I will say that I cannot understand why the play was drawn up for Southerland, who was awful all game, instead of CJ, who was the best player (except for maybe McGary) on the floor tonight.

The play was to get James screened off for a shot, but Michigan jumped it and switched. Not much else Trevor could do. Kind of hard to draw up something magical when your two best playmakers are sitting down next to you.

Wasn't looking for anything magical, just a 3 point attempt.

I will say that I cannot understand why the play was drawn up for Southerland, who was awful all game, instead of CJ, who was the best player (except for maybe McGary) on the floor tonight.

Cuz James hit his last one, is a bit streaky, and due to his length can generally get his shot off over any defender. I'm okay w/ running the play for Dirty.

CJ hits a high percentage, but he also rarely takes a three when it's anywhere near being contested.

Cuz James hit his last one, is a bit streaky, and due to his length can generally get his shot off over any defender. I'm okay w/ running the play for Dirty.

CJ hits a high percentage, but he also rarely takes a three when it's anywhere near being contested.
If we are looking for a three, then yes, absolutely Dirty needs to get a double screen (or even a triple screen) for a look. But it wasn't a situation that necessitated a three, so I don't know why we didn't go to CJ and let him operate. I'm not just talking about the final play, by the way. I'm pissed he didn't get the ball at all in the final minute. I've said all year that it's a shame people don't realize he's our best player and most complete offensive player, and apparently even our coach doesn't realize that.

If we are looking for a three, then yes, absolutely Dirty needs to get a double screen (or even a triple screen) for a look. But it wasn't a situation that necessitated a three, so I don't know why we didn't go to CJ and let him operate. I'm not just talking about the final play, by the way. I'm pissed he didn't get the ball at all in the final minute. I've said all year that it's a shame people don't realize he's our best player and most complete offensive player, and apparently even our coach doesn't realize that.
Can you really take a two in that situation? Without either of your starting guards to take the ball length of the floor?

It's easy to say when watching the replay, but when Cooney started to drive to the basket CJ rotated out to the top of the key and was wide open. I mean a WIDE open 40% 3 point shooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom