If there are major violations and sanctions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If there are major violations and sanctions

nycfan said:
Two of the things I recall is that the players would get free haircuts and get comped dinners on Sundays at the old Grimaldi's on Erie Blvd.

There was more than that.....

The Governor said:
What violations did Cal commit again?
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty confident he had his Final Four runs with both UMass and Memphis vacated by the NCAA.

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty confident he had his Final Four runs with both UMass and Memphis vacated by the NCAA.
Yeah, the question was what did he do, not what happened. Specifically what did he do or what is he alleged to have done?

Someone should ask him this during his next press conference. That would be enjoyable.
Maybe we should get Cp tuttle press credentials and have him ask the question himself. He asks them often enough here.

Forgive me for asking a couple of silly questions, but isn't it a little premature to speculate on possible sanctions?
Do we even know what the specific allegations are...let alone how the NCAA may punish them if they were in fact committed?

Agree/
Just the thought of the whole thing is rediculous, three basketball players got involved in a sexual event as freshmen 7 years ago,
2 players had trouble with grades and had to sit out, one was allowed to return the other was not and cost us a deep run in the tournament as punishment.
2-3 kids may have done marjuana at a party during the off season, but passed all ncaa drug tests.

none of that speaks scandel, cheating or punishment. Unless Fab or Southerland were not given the ok by the ncaa to return, I see nothing that should involve the ncaa whatsoever. And We sat fab the rest of the year despite being our second center in two years to cost a #1-#2 team in the country in march (thets not forget arinze onuaku) and all the heartache we had from that.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this violation has to do with academic support staff (tutors) doing school work for players. Probably surfaced with Fab and when they took a closer look found out it was more widespread. Didn't they fire the guy in charge of the academic support services suddenly last year? That would amount to "lack of institutional control" an NCAA favorite because if the coaches and AD didn't know it was going on they should have. Could be pretty stiff penalties or since the school already has taken steps to ensure it cannot happen again, the penalties could be less severe. Like I said, it's a guess.

If that amounts to lack of institutional control I dare say few institutions are in control. The idea that academic cheating doesn't run rampant among athletes and non-athletes alike is, well... a fantasy in my opinion.

Last edited:
Forgive me for asking a couple of silly questions, but isn't it a little premature to speculate on possible sanctions?
Do we even know what the specific allegations are...let alone how the NCAA may punish them if they were in fact committed?
You know. It's how we roll around here.
a01f74a338d7cc8d2eaeb00c15d21d82.500x469x1.jpg

At UMASS the big tado came about when Marcus Camby decided to go on s hopping spree in a jewelry store...which resulted in an NCAA investigation. Afterall where can a UMASS student get all that money. The result was that UMASS lost all its wins and ahad to reimburse revenues. Calapari left for Memphis the next year I believe.

At UMASS the big tado came about when Marcus Camby decided to go on s hopping spree in a jewelry store...which resulted in an NCAA investigation. Afterall where can a UMASS student get all that money. The result was that UMASS lost all its wins and ahad to reimburse revenues. Calapari left for Memphis the next year I believe.
You left one thing out. The reason Cal left the very next season was that he was so fed up with the cheating, he just couldn't sit there and take it anymore. :)

No, Calapari left UMASS right after the 1996 (their final four season) for the NJ Nets. When that didn't work, he became an assistant at the 76ers. After one year, he left the 76ers for Memphis. In 2009 (after 10 years at Memphis) he went to KY

IIRC the issue behind it all was that the NCAA believed Camby took the money from an agent - purportedly an amount in the $28K - $40K range.

No, Calapari left UMASS right after the 1996 (their final four season) for the NJ Nets. When that didn't work, he became an assistant at the 76ers. After one year, he left the 76ers for Memphis. In 2009 (after 10 years at Memphis) he went to KY
Thanks CTO. That kind of puts that one to rest. Calapari really can't be tied to the UMASS violation in any way. In fact there just isn't any proof of direct violations of NCAA rules made by him. I am not a Calapari fan or loyalist. I still believe that that he is a sleaze and an epitomized example of what is happening to the game of college basketball. But...afterall. That was what he was hired to do by Kentucky. Can't say good words about either

Given that PSU--for covering up child rape--had their sanctions eliminated after a mere two years, I wouldn't even be accepting of a one-year postseason ban if I were SU officials. I'd make sure that whatever penalties we incur are proportionally commensurate to the NCAAs cop out with PSU, and fight like hell legally to undermine their weak case.

Well, Paterno was dismissed after all. We can argue that it shouldn't have taken a massive criminal investigation in order for it to happen but it did happen. Maybe a better question to ask is whether we'd want Boeheim to step aside if it meant the NCAA would eliminate whatever sanctions they decide to levy? My answer would be yes. Go enjoy your retirement and leave the program in good standing.

Neither would ever...ever happen. The NCAA would never leave an investigation without some sanctions. And JB...retire?!!!

Neither would ever...ever happen. The NCAA would never leave an investigation without some sanctions. And JB...retire?!!!

Part of the rationale behind the removal of the PSU sanctions is that the offending parties are gone and we're punishing players and coaches for the crimes of an previous era. It wouldn't be the first time when a uni offered to clean house in exchange for greater leniency. Most NCAA sanctions are negotiated.

Well, Paterno was dismissed after all. We can argue that it shouldn't have taken a massive criminal investigation in order for it to happen but it did happen. Maybe a better question to ask is whether we'd want Boeheim to step aside if it meant the NCAA would eliminate whatever sanctions they decide to levy? My answer would be yes. Go enjoy your retirement and leave the program in good standing.

Paterno was dismissed because he was directly complicit in covering up child rape for more than a decade.

If some of the stuff that has been leaked about our situation is accurate, it will be things like players not passing drug tests, how the resolution of academic suspensions were handled, etc. In other words, a bunch of administrivia that is akin to the NCAA throwing crap upon the wall to see what sticks.

Need to clear it with Colonel Bleep... no doubt Captain Tuttle respects the chain of command.
Ive been waiting for someone to make a joke like that for awhile. Right on!

After the fiasco with Miami, North Carolina, and Penn St, the NCAA, can Kiss themselves where the sun doesn't shine. I wouldn't except any penalties at all, unless North Carolina gets banished in football, and basketball for a minimum of 2 years. When you create bogus classes, which the Athletes never attended, and nothing happens.
after the ncaa screwed up the psu fiasco how can dare sanction anyone! they need to be disbanded, reformed with jay bilas as the ncaa head

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom