If this isn't an argument for not paying players, I don't know what is... | Syracusefan.com

If this isn't an argument for not paying players, I don't know what is...

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Alabama Boosters pay off Nick Saban's $3.1 million mortgage.

According to the Crimson Tide Foundation website, it is a nonprofit group whose mission is to work with the UA athletic department "by raising private funds and providing necessary resources to achieve success." Those funds are distributed for everything from scholarships to coaching salaries to athletic-related construction projects.

I know this example is football, but the principles easily apply to all college sports. In an environment where players get paid how would SU compete with schools like Alabama that have booster clubs that are able to throw around this kind of money??

According to the Crimson Tide Foundation website, it is a nonprofit group whose mission is to work with the UA athletic department "by raising private funds and providing necessary resources to achieve success." Those funds are distributed for everything from scholarships to coaching salaries to athletic-related construction projects.

I know this example is football, but the principles easily apply to all college sports. In an environment where players get paid how would SU compete with schools like Alabama that have booster clubs that are able to throw around this kind of money??
I think you're looking at this in the completely wrong direction.

Why can I as a booster do that for Saban, who is WELL compensated for his time and effort, but can't get a kid a hamburger (or pay off a recruit's parents' mortgage/rent/other living expenses, etc.)?

Last edited:

Why can I booster do that for Saban, who is WELL compensated for his time and effort, but can't get a kid a hamburger (or pay off a recruit's parents' mortgage/rent/other living expenses, etc.)?

I don't think you should be able to do it for either the coach or the player. Syracuse isn't making that kind of incidental "bonus" payment to one of its coaches. Obviously, that limits the pool of talent that Syracuse will ever have a chance at attracting on the coaching side - - football or basketball.

If boosters were able to fund unlimited payments to players how long do you think it would be before Syracuse was further behind than it already is in football and dropping off the pace in basketball....or have we developed our own Papa John Schnatter.

I am not a big fan of all of the money flooding into college athletics.

1. Higher ticket prices
2. Higher tuition
3. Fundraiser shows & events
4. Sell advertising on facilities, programs and uniforms
5. Surcharge on Dome Foam
6. Market branded & co-branded products (I can see it now: turn your hands orange with Cheetos!)
7. Find wealthier alumni
8. Lie, cheat & step on peoples' feet

They just make it asset stipend type of amount for all players in certain sports (fball, bball) at all P5 teams. Something that they can all afford.

They just make it asset stipend type of amount for all players in certain sports (fball, bball) at all P5 teams. Something that they can all afford.

Unfortunately, I think you are naive if you think that it will stop there. That is just the barn door cracking open.....the livestock will be escaping soon.

Unfortunately, I think you are naive if you think that it will stop there. That is just the barn door cracking open...the livestock will be escaping soon.

And if that is the case then the SEC will always out pay which is basically what we have now anyways.

Come on folks, let's not be too critical. Nick is barely getting by on his $7 million dollars/year. And with 3 SEC members on the NCAA violations committee I'm sure the players are fine.

In an environment where players get paid how would SU compete with schools like Alabama that have booster clubs that are able to throw around this kind of money??
salary cap

Unfortunately, I think you are naive if you think that it will stop there. That is just the barn door cracking open...the livestock will be escaping soon.
The stipends will be based on the "total cost of attendance" figure filed with the Federal Department of Education. Every school has one and most schools post it on their websites, usually on the financial aid or similar page. By using that figure, everyone knows up front what the stipend at school X should be and fooling with that figure becomes a potential federal fraud case.

OttoinGrotto said:

Why can I as a booster do that for Saban, who is WELL compensated for his time and effort, but can't get a kid a hamburger (or pay off a recruit's parents' mortgage/rent/other living expenses, etc.)?

I'd be happy to let you pay off the balance of my student loans. I have no eligibility (or athletic talent) so there shouldn't be an issue with the NCAA.

Allowing boosters to pay players or not setting a standard amount that schools can pay players, would completely destroy college athletics.

Top recruits would just go to the school that could pay the most money. There would be almost no logical reason to go somewhere else. This is the reason professional sports have drafts and salary caps. I'm all for paying players some money for living expenses and finding an equitable way to compensate them for profits from their likeness, but let's not get carried away.

I'd be happy to let you pay off the balance of my student loans. I have no eligibility (or athletic talent) so there shouldn't be an issue with the NCAA.
Wondered how long it would take for someone to catch that.

Obviously, that limits the pool of talent that Syracuse will ever have a chance at attracting on the coaching side - - football or basketball.

If boosters were able to fund unlimited payments to players how long do you think it would be before Syracuse was further behind than it already is in football and dropping off the pace in basketball...or have we developed our own Papa John Schnatter.

I am not a big fan of all of the money flooding into college athletics.
Players in general benefitting > Syracuse's ability to compete, IMO

I don't think the problem is that money is flooding into college athletics. I think the problem is how it gets funneled and where it ends up.

For whatever it's worth, I don't like the idea of the schools paying players. I'd much rather see the players be able to sign their own endorsement deals and have rights over their own name and likeness. Which is bonkers, I know. Who dare think they have the right to their personal identity?

Allowing boosters to pay players or not setting a standard amount that schools can pay players, would completely destroy college athletics.

Top recruits would just go to the school that could pay the most money. There would be almost no logical reason to go somewhere else. This is the reason professional sports have drafts and salary caps. I'm all for paying players some money for living expenses and finding an equitable way to compensate them for profits from their likeness, but let's not get carried away.
Paying players may destroy college athletics.
I hate the thought of it.
But it's getting harder and harder to justify colleges making millions in TV $$ while the athletes who enable the big money deals basically get nothing.

For athletes the deal amounts to this: You let me take classes and get a degree (maybe) and hone my skills for a shot at the pros (maybe) while you make a fortune and I get none of it.

This is fine if you buy that these kids are seriously strapped for cash. But if you're making a 'only fair to compensate the athletes argument' then this pointless. Giving the 3rd string OLB the same $$$ as a starting QB is every bit as unfair as paying none of them.

This is fine if you buy that these kids are seriously strapped for cash. But if you're making a 'only fair to compensate the athletes argument' then this pointless. Giving the 3rd string OLB the same $$$ as a starting QB is every bit as unfair as paying none of them.
Which is the precise problem you avoid if you allow players the rights to profit from their own name and likeness.

:rolling:Oh Lord

And the Syracuse Basketball program is under investigation because Nick Saban's house was paid off. Oh LordOh LordOh Lord

If I were the Chancellor and Dr. Gross I would drop a copy of that article on the table and walk out on Friday with the obligatory "...our lawyers will be in touch..." line. It is truly disgraceful what these SEC schools get away with.

Paying players may destroy college athletics.
I hate the thought of it.
But it's getting harder and harder to justify colleges making millions in TV $$ while the athletes who enable the big money deals basically get nothing.

For athletes the deal amounts to this: You let me take classes and get a degree (maybe) and hone my skills for a shot at the pros (maybe) while you make a fortune and I get none of it.

I'm not against paying players. I'm just against having no or little regulation about who pays them and how much they get paid.