If UNC beats Clemson, should they get playoff slot? | Syracusefan.com

If UNC beats Clemson, should they get playoff slot?

cto

Administrator
Not such a dumb question.

If they win, they will be 12-1. Assuming MSU beats Iowa (likely, I think), there will be NO undefeated teams left.

Oklahoma is definitely in (they have no games left). Assume Alabama beats Florida, so they are in.

If Michigan State beats Iowa, they are probably in.

So if UNC beats previously unbeaten Clemson, they are the ACC champs.

And if Stanford loses in the PAC 12 game...

Odder things have happened

Last edited:

If they win, they will be 12-1. Assuming MSU beats Iowa (likely, I think), there will be NO undefeated teams left.

Oklahoma is definitely in (they have no games left). Assume Alabama beats Florida, so they are in.

And if Stamford loses in the PAC 12 game...

Definitely intriguing...

And if Stamford loses in the PAC 12 game...

I don't think so. Not with a loss to South Carolina and two FCS wins.

If all that happens I think OSU gets back in to defend their title.

It will depend on where the committee puts UNC this week.
#6 Notre Dame, #7 Baylor, #10 Michigan, #11 Oklahoma State, #12 Florida all lost.

If UNC goes up to 8th they would have a shot. As long as USC beat Stanford I think UNC could get in.

12-1 North Carolina would get in over 11-1 Ohio State. Ohio State has 1 good win all year at Michigan. UNC would have the ACC title and win over #1.

If Stanford wins the Pac-12 I think that would get them in over UNC.

Seems like a lot of dominos would need to fall just right. Beating Clemson would be a huge win but their schedule aside from that is pretty mediocre. Best win is Pitt?

Seems like a lot of dominos would need to fall just right. Beating Clemson would be a huge win but their schedule aside from that is pretty mediocre. Best win is Pitt?
Ohio State has 1 good win all year. UNC beating #1 Clemson would equal that and the ACC title would push the scale to UNC.

If Clemson loses it would go Stanford then UNC. IMO.

Ohio State has 1 good win all year. UNC beating #1 Clemson would equal that and the ACC title would push the scale to UNC.

If Clemson loses it would go Stanford then UNC. IMO.
Alabama has one good win all year as well. I agree that Stanford would go in a Clemson loss scenario

Alabama has one good win all year as well. I agree that Stanford would go in a Clemson loss scenario
Georgia is 9-3, Tennessee is 8-4, Arkansas is 7-5, Mississippi State is 8-4, Wisconsin is 9-3, LSU is 9-3.

Bama has plenty of quality. Ohio State and UNC don't have those wins. UNC's best wins are 8-4 Pitt, 7-5 Miami.

Ohio State's best is 9-3 Michigan and 7-5 Penn State. If UNC beats 12-0 Clemson that would be better than Ohio State's best win. Conference title would aide UNC as well.

If you think Florida beating Bama would have put them in, as many people were saying, why wouldn't UNc beating the consensus #1 to be 12-1 and champs of the ACC put them in? In all seriousness, who would have a better win on their record in the entire country? The only argument is the big ten champ if it's Michigan State for beating OSu in their house.

It's the Old Boys Club. If UNC defeats Clemson and Alabama beats Florida it will be Alabama, Oklahoma, B1G champ, and Stanford if they win PAC or Ohio State if Stanford loses.

ACC needs Clemson to win that game (just like the B12 needed Oklahoma to win against Oklahoma State) to have a seat at the table this year, imho.

Cheers,
Neil

If unc gets the win the committee is supposed to start over every week, if you beat the #1 team and are 12-1 with a loss on opening day, I would think that should matter

If unc gets the win the committee is supposed to start over every week, if you beat the #1 team and are 12-1 with a loss on opening day, I would think that should matter

If the Old Boys Club was truly defunct and the committee is doing what it should be doing, you might be correct. But never, ever leave the committee with a reason not to choose you if you don't happen to be elite. And unfortunately, UNC's schedule gives them plenty of reasons not to select them. It is what it is.

Cheers,
Neil

If the Old Boys Club was truly defunct and the committee is doing what it should be doing, you might be correct. But never, ever leave the committee with a reason not to choose you if you don't happen to be elite. And unfortunately, UNC's schedule gives them plenty of reasons not to select them. It is what it is.

Cheers,
Neil
i agree completely, I am just reiterating the rhetoric that is recited each week. that's 3 r's, weird.

11-1 Ohio State is not getting in over 12-1 North Carolina. UNC would have a win over #1 and a conference title.

Ohio State doesn't great wins. Stanford would get in over UNC but Ohio State.

I say no, they have a bad loss, and would only really have one quality win, call me crazy, but I think Stanford should be in consideration if Clemson should lose.

And if Stanford loses in the PAC 12 game...

I think UNC's offense is great. but their scoring margin and strength of schedule put them at 11th in this simple rating (sort by srs). 76th easiest schedule

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2015-standings.html

This is why this lose late thing is so asinine. Clemson loses in the ACC and they are gone. They would have 2 top 10 wins which is more than anyone would have unless Michigan St beats Iowa.

This is why this lose late thing is so asinine. Clemson loses in the ACC and they are gone. They would have 2 top 10 wins which is more than anyone would have unless Michigan St beats Iowa.

Yep...about as asinine as only having a 'pageant' four team playoff...but that's for another thread. :)

I hope it doesn't come to this...

I think UNC has to win by about 5 TDs to have a chance. The two FCS games will sink them.

If UNC wins a close one in OT or say, a last second FG, does Clemson stay in? Does it matter what Stanford does at that point?

I think Clemson and Alabama are going to win and there is going to be zero drama. Clemson vs B1G, Bama vs OU.

I don't think this would actually be the case, but if Clemson at least keeps it close with UNC, I think they deserve to stay in the top 4. They wouldn't have won the ACC title, but they would have had one loss the whole year with that loss being to a top 5-10 team in the country.

I think UNC has to win by about 5 TDs to have a chance. The two FCS games will sink them.

If UNC wins a close one in OT or say, a last second FG, does Clemson stay in? Does it matter what Stanford does at that point?

I think Clemson and Alabama are going to win and there is going to be zero drama. Clemson vs B1G, Bama vs OU.
All UNC needs is USC to beat Stanford.

Then the committee has 4 options 12-1 UNC with a ACC title, 11-1 Ohio State with 1 good win and no conference title game appearance, B1G championship game loser, 12-1 Clemson.

UNC has a great shot because they would be the only conference champ of those 4.

Expect the CFB playoff rankings to look like this tomorrow.
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Iowa
5. Michigan State
6. Ohio State
7. Stanford
8. North Carolina
9. Notre Dame
10. Florida State

UNC has a shot if Stanford loses. Ohio State can't move up without playing. This committee wouldn't do that. Ohio State has reached its ceiling. Stanford and North Carolina can move up.
Loser of Iowa-Michigan State will stay 5th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom