If we were eligible, Lunardi's response | Syracusefan.com

If we were eligible, Lunardi's response

Really? We wouldn't be a tourney team with wins over Louisville and at Notre Dame, and a 9-6 ACC record so far? That seems specious at best.

I am no Lunardi fan. In fact, I think "Bracketology" is pretty dopey [although I give him a lot of credit for coming up with something that strikes a chord with fans and building a career around it].

But I think his statement is fair. We're right on the cusp. I think 20 would be our magic number [including ACC tournament] to get us in. Right now, we're just a hair short -- hence, last 4 out, but could easily get there.

I am no Lunardi fan. In fact, I think "Bracketology" is pretty dopey [although I give him a lot of credit for coming up with something that strikes a chord with fans and building a career around it].

But I think his statement is fair. We're right on the cusp. I think 20 would be our magic number [including ACC tournament] to get us in. Right now, we're just a hair short -- hence, last 4 out, but could easily get there.

Agree. And gotta believe 2 more wins gets us just in (if there were acc tournament)

Really? We wouldn't be a tourney team with wins over Louisville and at Notre Dame, and a 9-6 ACC record so far? That seems specious at best.

Hard to put Cuse ahead of Pitt and Miami since they won head to head. RPI is poor for a bubble team and L'ville at home w/o Jones isn't exactly a marquee win...but season isn't over. Take away the ban and this team would still need a little more work to get in.

What are our best 2 OOC wins? Iowa in NYC and maybe LaTech? I would think 1 win out of the next 3 plus 1 win in Greensboro would have been enough. However if we beat Duke tonight I think we'd be a lock. 2 top 10 road wins in February and at least 10 conference wins makes us a shoe-in.

Joseph , roberson, and bj have all stepped up into scoring roles in the last 4-6 games probably averaging somewhere around a combined 12-15 more ppg between them.

There might not be a tandem of fresh/sophmores in america who have upped it anywhere near that.

While I don't think we would solidly be in the field I don't get how our resume is any different than Ohio State who Lunardi has an 8 seed.
Ohio State beat Marquette as their only decent OOC win.
Then beat Indiana, Maryland at home as their best wins of the season. Their best road win is at Northwestern and they are 20-8 and we are 18-10 with wins over Iowa, Louisville, and @Notre Dame. Yet Ohio State is an 8 seed and Syracuse hypothetically first four out.
Lunardi is a clown who has pulled off an amazing job making ESPN make him feel is all knowing.

While I don't think we would solidly be in the field I don't get how our resume is any different than Ohio State who Lunardi has an 8 seed.
Then beat Indiana, Maryland at home as their best wins of the season. Their best road win is at Northwestern and they are 20-8 and we are 18-10 with wins over Iowa, Louisville, and @Notre Dame. Yet Ohio State is an 8 seed and Syracuse hypothetically first four out.
Lunardi is a clown who has pulled off an amazing job making ESPN make him feel is all knowing.
Look again. Marquette is not a decent win. They are last in the BE.

Unfinished_Buisness_1_400x400.jpg

Yes, I just can't see how they are in!!!
Oh I think they should be in, but as like a 10 or 11 seed. that he has them as a 7 seed is absurd. Our resume is as good or better than theirs, and without the terrible losses they have.

yep, and Mich St's resume might be even a better one to look at next to ours - especially since Joey Hairpiece has them as a 7 seed

The only thing worse than lunardis year long hypothetical is his analyzing a disqualified team with respect to his fake brackets...
You're right...that is a great racket he's got.
Here he analyzes the placement of an ineligible team in hypothetical brackets.

The only guy I can think of who had a better racket is Candace Bergen's dad, Edgar Bergen.
He became a HUGE star in the 1930's as a VENTRILOQUIST ON THE RADIO.
That can never be topped.

and yet he has, for example, Mich St as a 7 seed. look at their resume. just look at it.

http://bracketmatrix.com/

The top 2 lines have been extremely dominant this year (Even if the teams don't fit the mold of dominant). Also there have been less patsies in the power 5 / Big East, making the middle of the road NCAA at large filler a little weaker and more cramped than normal.

There really is not that big of a difference between the 12 seeds / last 4 out, and the 7 seed. Usually at this time of year the 7 seeds are locks even if they somehow lost out. Not this year. It really is quite the cluster.

But I would put Indiana and maybe some of the BE teams ahead of them. The BE Teams are really benefitting from in conference top 50 win opportunities. Probably an 8/9 seed.

The interesting thing per the matrix is that Pitt is still considered out with wins over UNC and Notre Dame.

The thing that hurts Syracuse is that we are still 4-9 vs top 100 teams, which would be one of the worst records I ever remember getting into the dance.

Ohio St is 6-8 vs top 100 schools, with no bad losses, 2 top 50 wins.
Syracuse is 4-9 vs top 100 schools and one bad loss (Cal), 2 top 5o wins.

Not sure how you can see those resume's as the same at all. Unfortunately we crapped the bed overall against teams near the bottom of the at large field or just out... St. John's, Pitt, Miami... and 3 of those losses were on our home floor.

It's not top 50 wins that hurt's us, or even lack of OOC wins (we ended up with La Tech and Iowa which are solid enough). Its those home losses against middle of the pack teams that make our top 100 record quite weak.

i think lunardi is right

4-9 vs top 100 schools.

I think that deserves it's own headline instead of being lost in a long post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom