If you could change ONE rule in each major sport (college or pro) which would you change? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If you could change ONE rule in each major sport (college or pro) which would you change?

I recently became an umpire. In my training I was taught to watch where the ball crosses the plate. Not where the catcher catches it.

I recently became an umpire. In my training I was taught to watch where the ball crosses the plate. Not where the catcher catches it.
Of course, but there are all sorts of factors involved (e.g., how the catcher sets-up, the sound it makes when it is caught). We are all human, which is why umpires are not perfect.

Of course, but there are all sorts of factors involved (e.g., how the catcher sets-up, the sound it makes when it is caught). We are all human, which is why umpires are not perfect.
I can't say how the training has been historically, but we were specifically told to ignore where the catcher sets up. Honestly IMO balls and strikes is the easiest part of being an umpire. The field is much more difficult.

I can't say how the training has been historically, but we were specifically told to ignore where the catcher sets up. Honestly IMO balls and strikes is the easiest part of being an umpire. The field is much more difficult.
I wish MLB umpires were as good at it as you and upperdeck

I am positive that it does.

Just because you are not influenced by the Catcher (I am sure you actually are), it does not mean others are not.
maybe we are.. I'm just not sure how a call made on a ball before its caught is influenced and when half the pitches or more you cant tell where its caught anyway..

Guys are good at framing in the pros. But do the stats actually support that framing is changing the calls?

They have better stats now, I suppose so they should be able to look at every pitch a pitcher throws during a yr and narrow it down to just those that were X off the plate at Y speed and X movement and see how often its called a ball and strike for every catcher. Maybe then you could tell.

I dont know how to prove its a thing anymore than why do some pitchers get more calls than others. Any why when do some calls seem worse at certain pts of the game.

I wish MLB umpires were as good at it as you and upperdeck
I think if you looked at the real stats the MLB umps are real good at calling balls and strikes. if you watch the over head views we are on average talking about misses on a call of an inch or 2 from 3-4 ft away on a ball going 95 and often moving 10-15 inches with a guy moving right in your face and a hitter doing all sorts of things.

I never had to deal with kids throwing more than mid 80s at best and most HS kids arent even hitting 80.

I just never saw the catch as part of the equation.. I know I have talked with MLB/AAA umps and they said they same thing.. Maybe they are all just BS,. I dont know.

The part that confuses me on calls is when the pitch is a backdoor pitch that never reaches the zone at all and its called a strike. the ones that start and cut across the zone is much harder.

honestly when coaching, I am less concerned about the strike zone if they are least pretty consistent with it.
You have a pitcher too than can take advantage of it.

I was more concerned with blown calls in the field.. A guy being out by 2 steps at first or an Ump forgetting to watch a guy touch home or forgetting infield fly rules.

Now at lower levels with 1-2 umps all sorts of things get missed and you try to be civil and get them to think about the mistakes and correct the ones that are rules based..

I do recall having a kid called out on strikes on a ball that bounced 5 ft in front of home plate and the ump claiming it was a strike and denying it bounced.. I wasnt really sure how to complain on that one since you cant really push too much on balls and strikes but that one was hard to take.

honestly when coaching, I am less concerned about the strike zone if they are least pretty consistent with it.
You have a pitcher too than can take advantage of it.

I was more concerned with blown calls in the field.. A guy being out by 2 steps at first or an Ump forgetting to watch a guy touch home or forgetting infield fly rules.

Now at lower levels with 1-2 umps all sorts of things get missed and you try to be civil and get them to think about the mistakes and correct the ones that are rules based..

I do recall having a kid called out on strikes on a ball that bounced 5 ft in front of home plate and the ump claiming it was a strike and denying it bounced.. I wasnt really sure how to complain on that one since you cant really push too much on balls and strikes but that one was hard to take.
I was taught to admit it's ok to tell coaches that you blew a call. You'll get more respect that way. Most coaches just want consistency in the zone.

Younger kids are difficult. Some guys can't throw it over the plate. You'll be there all day if you call the rule book strike zone.

maybe we are.. I'm just not sure how a call made on a ball before its caught is influenced and when half the pitches or more you cant tell where its caught anyway..

Guys are good at framing in the pros. But do the stats actually support that framing is changing the calls?

They have better stats now, I suppose so they should be able to look at every pitch a pitcher throws during a yr and narrow it down to just those that were X off the plate at Y speed and X movement and see how often its called a ball and strike for every catcher. Maybe then you could tell.

I dont know how to prove its a thing anymore than why do some pitchers get more calls than others. Any why when do some calls seem worse at certain pts of the game.
Whatever it is, something about the catcher is influencing calls. It is a fact!

Hardest part of umpiring is knowing the rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom