I'm all in for UConn in the ACC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I'm all in for UConn in the ACC

There is ZERO in your post that I agree with. We recruit our region first and foremost, and supplement that with recruits from other areas. Babers himself has discussed the importance about recruiting well in our geographic sweet spot, so it seems that he would disagree with your assessment. UConn represents competition in our region for a fairly limited number of quality recruits, therefore it is not in our best interest to reify their legitimacy by having them in a P5 conference.

I have no idea what point you are making regarding the # of D1 teams versus the # of D1 teams in New England. This is more than about just the teams in New England. We're swimming in a very shallow pond in NYS, and the bigger, regional pond in the northeast [which includes but is not limited to New England] is being overfished more so now than ever before.

I have zero concerns about Umass, because they will never be in a P5 conference.

Keeping UConn out of the ACC is what should be a no-brainer. We don't need to add a "rival" -- that is a terrible justification, and won't matter one whit to other ACC teams if expansion ever occurs again.

Being scared about a regional rival is not gonna move Syracuse forward. We can agree to disagree but if Dino is all that he's cracked up to be (and i think he is), then the rest of the teams should be worried about us not the other way around. I see plenty of athletes out there to field a competitive team. We just need to merge their talents with some sort of coaching foundation.

My point on the # of D1 teams is if we recruit nationally we will recruit against all these teams not just UConn, Rutgers, etc.

Nobody should want them in a P5 conference it makes it easier for us to recruit against them.
How this isn't obvious just baffles me. If we want to play them we could easily schedule them in the nonconference as they would give their left nut for a long term football series. Look at their conference schedule it's awful.

They want to play us badly it validates them. Kinda like we wanted respect from Penn State. No to UConn to the ACC.

Being scared about a regional rival is not gonna move Syracuse forward. We can agree to disagree but if Dino is all that he's cracked up to be (and i think he is), then the rest of the teams should be worried about us not the other way around. I see plenty of athletes out there to field a competitive team. We just need to merge their talents with some sort of coaching foundation.

My point on the # of D1 teams is if we recruit nationally we will recruit against all these teams not just UConn, Rutgers, etc.

Bogus straw man. Nobody is "scared" of them--they are in a terrible position, and we are not. It makes zero sense to elevate them, though.

I think you're just pining for easy road trips. They aren't our football rival, and never will be. Dreaming about a northeastern football conference that will never materialize won't change that.

And you are completely wrong about there being "plenty of athletes out there" -- especially when it comes to the northeast. History doesn't support that contention.

And elimunelson, I'm not trying to make this "argument" personal. I think you're a great poster--I just believe that your position in this couldn't be further than what is best for SU.

Nobody should want them in a P5 conference it makes it easier for us to recruit against them.
How this isn't obvious just baffles me. If we want to play them we could easily schedule them in the nonconference as they would give their left nut for a long term football series. Look at their conference schedule it's awful.

They want to play us badly it validates them. Kinda like we wanted respect from Penn State. No to UConn to the ACC.

Agreed.

Husky-wants-to-come-in.jpg

Bogus straw man. Nobody is "scared" of them--they are in a terrible position, and we are not. It makes zero sense to elevate them, though.

I think you're just pining for easy road trips. They aren't our football rival, and never will be. Dreaming about a northeastern football conference that will never materialize won't change that.

And you are completely wrong about there being "plenty of athletes out there" -- especially when it comes to the northeast. History doesn't support that contention.

And elimunelson, I'm not trying to make this "argument" personal. I think you're a great poster--I just believe that your position in this couldn't be further than what is best for SU.

nothing personal and right back at you. I'm not offended by your opinion on this. I think it's a real good argument b/c there are two sides to this one.

I actually think it's probably a strawman thread anyway b/c UConn isn't a good business decision by the ACC for the 1,000 reasons people have stated and the fact that BC, and the lawsuit, makes a yes vote a perpetual no vote.

I'm just kinda numb to the idea of college football being geographically agnostic now. It feels packaged incorrectly. Now my personal feelings toward it may not be the best thing for Syracuse football right now but I feel, and you disagree and that's fine, that if we're rolling again it won't matter who is trying to recruit with us, we'll win those battles.

That is entirely true. HS football, and even Pee Wee/Pop Warner, is HUGE down here. Quite likely more important to the culture than attending church on Sundays. Seriously, no joke.

A guy I work with told me once, his biggest regret was not getting his son on steroids in HS. Kid wound up only like 220 lbs and had no shot to see the field on his HS team. Dad was kicking himself for a long time about it.

The ACC will wait to see what happens to the Big 12...If/when the Big 12 dies, then the ACC will grab who they can...I find it highly unlikely that the ACC would use a spot on UConn when there is so much doubt as to the future of the Big 12...

The ACC will wait to see what happens to the Big 12...If/when the Big 12 dies, then the ACC will grab who they can...I find it highly unlikely that the ACC would use a spot on UConn when there is so much doubt as to the future of the Big 12...
If they wait and see and the Big12 adds UCONN there are going to be all those programs coming up here and they will take any players they want back to Texas and Oklahoma with them .

It never did before. SU football was at its best when Rutgers was awful and UConn was Division II. Then, we owned all the best athletes in the Tri-State area who didn't go to Notre Dame or Penn State. Now, the Big 10 picks over NJ pretty good in recruiting, so it will probably never get back to where it used to be for us. But don't be fooled, SU football is better when Rutgers, UConn (and Penn State) are having a bad time of things. I think the best thing we ever did to UConn football was give them Pasqualoni and DeLeone. They may have personally buried their football program.
As I stated earlier , the lack of a conference to build up and promote the games and the rivalries was a huge factor . There was no interest in basketball before the BigEast was formed either .

If they wait and see and the Big12 adds UCONN there are going to be all those programs coming up here and they will take any players they want back to Texas and Oklahoma with them .

Brilliant. The Texas schools can get 3* guys in their back yard who are well polished in football or they can travel up to New England looking for a diamond in the rough that will take time to develop.

As I stated earlier , the lack of a conference to build up and promote the games and the rivalries was a huge factor . There was no interest in basketball before the BigEast was formed either .

Yeah NYC and Philly High School BBall didn't exist until the Big East.

Brilliant. The Texas schools can get 3* guys in their back yard who are well polished in football or they can travel up to New England looking for a diamond in the rough that will take time to develop.
They will take the cream off the top .

Yeah NYC and Philly High School BBall didn't exist until the Big East.
There was little to no interest in eastern college basketball . We had the ECAC which was like a JV league compared to the rest of the real conferences . You must not be old enough to have seen that sorry schlit .

There was little to no interest in eastern college basketball . We had the ECAC which was like a JV league compared to the rest of the real conferences . You must not be old enough to have seen that sorry schlit .

There was plenty of high school basketball talent to mine in the Northeast but it was going elsewhere. When the Big East came those kids stayed home. There is no football talent in the Northeast. A conference will not change that.

That is 1-2 players a year not a big deal. There is very little cream in New England.

A guy I work with told me once, his biggest regret was not getting his son on steroids in HS. Kid wound up only like 220 lbs and had no shot to see the field on his HS team. Dad was kicking himself for a long time about it.
What they do in Texas (been this way for over 20 years) is redshirting your kid in elementary or middle school...

There was plenty of high school basketball talent to mine in the Northeast but it was going elsewhere. When the Big East came those kids stayed home. There is no football talent in the Northeast. A conference will not change that.
I can't speak to that , all I know is there are a lot of high school football teams in NY/NE and Canada .

Ummm...It appears that the ACC is willing to risk that...which should tell you something about the talent in the NE. Let the Big 12 water their product down by bringing in Houston, USF, ECU, etc...the ACC does not need to expand, the Big 12 does...and even if the Big 12 does expand, that still may not save it...

I'm not. Their basketball program is the only one that approaches ACC level.

Ummm...It appears that the ACC is willing to risk that...which should tell you something about the talent in the NE. Let the Big 12 water their product down by bringing in Houston, USF, ECU, etc...the ACC does not need to expand, the Big 12 does...and even if the Big 12 does expand, that still may not save it...
Not clear what the ACC and the B1G are doing on the down low . It's like a big hand of Texas holdem , when the river card gets dealt , we will see who was still in the game .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom