I'm all in for UConn in the ACC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I'm all in for UConn in the ACC

We have the tradition and soon a much better stadium...no reason to fear UConn. ACC is strong enough to bring them in. Adding Yukon would help capture the tristate for the ACC. We had a minimum of 2000 fans there and that is coming off two blowouts. We need a hated lil brother near by.
Further selling the ACC and ACC schools in the northeast is why I like the idea of UConn. The ACC has several private universities with higher tuitions that would benefit by more marketing in the northeast where the median income is higher and more able to source tuition paying students. Marketing the schools of the ACC in the tri-state area should be a priority.

The ACC now competes with the Big Ten in the northeast. Each conference has 3 northeastern members, plus the ACC has Notre Dame with partial football. This is going to be about mindshare. The ACC is used to playing this game in the southeast with the SEC. UConn adds another northeastern state. If the ACC wants to be a big player in the northeast, the ACC should bring in that state. This is about more than football or basketball. Right now the ACC is doing very well at both. It's about what region the ACC wants to claim as home turf.

I'm all in for UCon back to Division II. Worst fans I have ever met.
Citizens-to-Remove-Bird-Feeders-Because-of-Bears-Waking-Up-Early-1024x682.jpg

Further selling the ACC and ACC schools in the northeast is why I like the idea of UConn. The ACC has several private universities with higher tuitions that would benefit by more marketing in the northeast where the median income is higher and more able to source tuition paying students. Marketing the schools of the ACC in the tri-state area should be a priority.

The ACC now competes with the Big Ten in the northeast. Each conference has 3 northeastern members, plus the ACC has Notre Dame with partial football. This is going to be about mindshare. The ACC is used to playing this game in the southeast with the SEC. UConn adds another northeastern state. If the ACC wants to be a big player in the northeast, the ACC should bring in that state. This is about more than football or basketball. Right now the ACC is doing very well at both. It's about what region the ACC wants to claim as home turf.

The ACC already has a claim to the Northeast. Using your logic why not go after Temple or Nova then? UConn is middle of nowhere Connecticut. It doesn't move the needle in NYC or Boston. PSU, RU, Michigan will always give the B1G a large presence in NYC. UConn ain't changing that. Heck I don't think I have ever seen someone wearing UConn gear around NYC, despite them having won 4 NCs. The ACC has a presence in Boston already. Adding UConn doesn't help anymore. The ACC has no presence in Philly. Adding a Philly schools opens up the market. If the ACC wants to prioritize being in the Northeast then the move should be into Philly not a school surrounded by cow pastures.

The ACC already has a claim to the Northeast. Using your logic why not go after Temple or Nova then? UConn is middle of nowhere Connecticut. It doesn't move the needle in NYC or Boston. PSU, RU, Michigan will always give the B1G a large presence in NYC. UConn ain't changing that. Heck I don't think I have ever seen someone wearing UConn gear around NYC, despite them having won 4 NCs. The ACC has a presence in Boston already. Adding UConn doesn't help anymore. The ACC has no presence in Philly. Adding a Philly schools opens up the market. If the ACC wants to prioritize being in the Northeast then the move should be into Philly not a school surrounded by cow pastures.
Temple is a choice I've been keeping an eye on for presence in the Delaware Valley area, Philly, Delaware, South Jersey. I'd prefer obviously for Penn State to grow tired of the B1G and want to come because they are more of a football school. But absent that, Temple could possibly bring something similar to the ACC that Miami did in Florida. I'd like to see Temple's football continue on the upswing and Temple keep their coaches. They are making improvements to facilities on campus. They have plans for a new football stadium on campus. There are good things happening with Temple. Philadelphia could be a great destination for ACC events in the northern part of the conference.

Temple is a choice I've been keeping an eye on for presence in the Delaware Valley area, Philly, Delaware, South Jersey. I'd prefer obviously for Penn State to grow tired of the B1G and want to come because they are more of a football school. But absent that, Temple could possibly bring something similar to the ACC that Miami did in Florida. I'd like to see Temple's football continue on the upswing and Temple keep their coaches. They are making improvements to facilities on campus. They have plans for a new football stadium on campus. There are good things happening with Temple. Philadelphia could be a great destination for ACC events in the northern part of the conference.

If one is thinking long term and not short and your choices are UConn, Temple, Nova then IMO Nova is the best choice. I don't think any of these three are realistic as WV or Cincy would get pushed through by the FB schools first. Nova gets 30 less schollies and is recruiting to FCS vs the AAC yet their average Sagarin in the 2010s is:

Nova 116th
UConn 103rd
Temple 77th

So over the last 6 years UConn football has been on par with Nova football. So why in the hell would anyone want them?

nothing personal and right back at you. I'm not offended by your opinion on this. I think it's a real good argument b/c there are two sides to this one.

I actually think it's probably a strawman thread anyway b/c UConn isn't a good business decision by the ACC for the 1,000 reasons people have stated and the fact that BC, and the lawsuit, makes a yes vote a perpetual no vote.

I'm just kinda numb to the idea of college football being geographically agnostic now. It feels packaged incorrectly. Now my personal feelings toward it may not be the best thing for Syracuse football right now but I feel, and you disagree and that's fine, that if we're rolling again it won't matter who is trying to recruit with us, we'll win those battles.

The ACC could fix your feelings about missing old rivals by creating a division line up that actually makes sense, instead of the hodgepodge they gave us.

An ACC North of SU, Pitt, Louisville, BC, Notre Dame, Miami and Virginia Tech and whomever - UVA or Florida State - would be awesome. It would keep all the "old school" ACC teams together, and take advantage of all those old rivalries instead of trying to force new ones on us.

There was little to no interest in eastern college basketball . We had the ECAC which was like a JV league compared to the rest of the real conferences . You must not be old enough to have seen that sorry schlit .

Well, back then, the N.I.T. was kind of the championship for Eastern college hoops schools. The NCAA tournament was limited to conference champions and most of the Eastern independents wound up in the N.I.T.

They have no fans. We were in a conference with them before.

Well, back then, the N.I.T. was kind of the championship for Eastern college hoops schools. The NCAA tournament was limited to conference champions and most of the Eastern independents wound up in the N.I.T.
Well , yes and no . The NIT was the big championship before the NCAA started their championship and had become the a relic , like eastern football .

Well , yes and no . The NIT was the big championship before the NCAA started their championship and had become the a relic , like eastern football .

The NIT was still pretty viable until the mid-to-late 70s, then it became the JV championships. They co-existed as peers for a while, until the NCAA went to 48 and then 64 teams, and allowed non-conference champs to be admitted at large. Its at large bids that killed the N.I.T. That was around 1980 that they went to 48. Back during the early to mid 70s, when only conference winners made the NCAA, there were some crazy good ACC teams that never made the tournament.

The ACC could fix your feelings about missing old rivals by creating a division line up that actually makes sense, instead of the hodgepodge they gave us.

An ACC North of SU, Pitt, Louisville, BC, Notre Dame, Miami and Virginia Tech and whomever - UVA or Florida State - would be awesome. It would keep all the "old school" ACC teams together, and take advantage of all those old rivalries instead of trying to force new ones on us.

IMO 18 teams when ND wants in is the way to go. Assuming the B12 folds and Texas doesn't come:

VA Tech-UVA-UNC-Duke-GA Tech-FSU
Cincy-Louisville-WV-NC State-Wake-Clemson
ND-SU-BC-Pitt-Temple-Miami

With a 9 game conference schedule you get each team thrice over 11 years.

IMO 18 teams when ND wants in is the way to go. Assuming the B12 folds and Texas doesn't come:

VA Tech-UVA-UNC-Duke-GA Tech-FSU
Cincy-Louisville-WV-NC State-Wake-Clemson
ND-SU-BC-Pitt-Temple-Miami

With a 9 game conference schedule you get each team thrice over 11 years.

18 is too big. It's no longer a conference.

I get the animosity and protectionist behavior. Had the roles been reversed I would have been the same way. There's 2 different views going on, some that look at the ACC and its greater good and those that look at just Syracuse's. Given the ACC network that is coming, the advantage that UConn has versus Temple and Cincy is that we own the entire state. Temple shares Philly with a few schools and the pro teams. Cincy will probably always be #2 in Ohio behind OSU. Our biggest negative as many have said is our meathead football (Thanks for PP and DeLeone). On a related note, some on our board are pining for Les Miles, but he's probably the same meathead we already have, just with better time management skills.
Outside of football, our entire AD is solid. Men's basketball has had a few very good recruiting classes and women's basketball is what it is. Soccer is always competitive and field hockey won 2 national championships recently. Meathead football unfortunately is the big fish and it's dreadful. I would guess we'd look to add Lax if invited. I assume Syracuse gets recruits from CT. We seem to have a decent pool of talent in that sport.
Lastly, I doubt we're getting invited to the dysfunctional Big 12. I'd accept in a heartbeat even knowing that OK and TX may leave in a few years. But without a network,. we just offer them a long commute. Had they received their own network I would feel better about our chances. My gut says Cincy and Houston if they expand at all, but what do I know.
Let the beatings continue...

Last edited:

That's the road to conference division/destruction. Just fix the scheduling with 3+5+5 or rotating divisions.

Last edited:
But 16 is ok? Or 14? Once you go past 10 it is too big. You can actually have conference rivals with 18 easier than 16.

A conference basketball tournament would require 5 rounds. That's forever. Or else teams would be left out. Also not desirable.

A conference basketball tournament would require 5 rounds. That's forever. Or else teams would be left out. Also not desirable.
It's already 5 rounds.

lol either delete this thread or move it to the OT board. uconn in the acc - SM-MF-H

Reactions: gbo