Im curious - after the first 2 games..how should we finish the class | Syracusefan.com

Im curious - after the first 2 games..how should we finish the class

PhatOrange

Living Legend
have needs and priorities changed for the remaining ships? what are your thoughts on this?

I'll post mine when i have more time. cheers

I don't think so. I'd imagine that maybe if something actually has changed it might be that another WR could come on the radar. Or, it could be that we somehow steal Donald Stewart and we're all set at that position for this class. With so few spots left open, I just don't think we can really alter course all that much.

We'll take a TE still, I think - and I'm not including Jay Rose in that category anymore - and either Rose or David Moore. Not both, obviously. Or at least, I'd be stunned if we took both. Another DB is still a priority, with the same guys high on the board. Other than that, we might get into a "best available" with remaining scholarships.

It will be interesting to see if we get into the mix with any DT or CBs. Would love to add another Safety. And then to account for any unforeseen attrition, go the best available route.

It will be interesting to see if we get into the mix with any DT or CBs. Would love to add another Safety. And then to account for any unforeseen attrition, go the best available route.
I'll be shocked if we don't add one more DB, at least. Maybe two.

I'll be shocked if we don't add one more DB, at least. Maybe two.

Do we have space for that many though? I mean, we lose Whigham at CB and Blair not showing up at S is effectively a loss, so that's 2 DB's that should have been on the roster. We already have Brinson and Bradshaw, who are definitely DB's, and then Harper, who is either a S or a LB. We probably should have 6 scholarship CB's and we may already be there, and we have 6 scholarship safeties. And the 10 underclassmen are all pretty young, 3 true Frosh, 3 RF's, 3 Soph's, and 1 Jr.

I'm thinking a TE, QB, DL, as definite, and a DB (if stud available), WR (if stud available), RB (if stud available), OL (if stud available) ... something like that. There will probably be a lot of best player available going on to close out the class. Which is a very good place to be in for once.

Do we have space for that many though? I mean, we lose Whigham at CB and Blair not showing up at S is effectively a loss, so that's 2 DB's that should have been on the roster. We already have Brinson and Bradshaw, who are definitely DB's, and then Harper, who is either a S or a LB. We probably should have 6 scholarship CB's and we may already be there, and we have 6 scholarship safeties. And the 10 underclassmen are all pretty young, 3 true Frosh, 3 RF's, 3 Soph's, and 1 Jr.
I think we do. We'll obviously take either Burrell or Burch, with Drayton and, honestly, Clarke still looming as possibilities.

I also think a couple more scholarships are going to open up one way or another. Not everyone is going to be happy after this year. Attrition is part of the game.

I think we do. We'll obviously take either Burrell or Burch, with Drayton and, honestly, Clarke still looming as possibilities.

I also think a couple more scholarships are going to open up one way or another. Not everyone is going to be happy after this year. Attrition is part of the game.

Burrell and Drayton would be nice. I like Drayton's size.

hunt coming back or not is a question too. i wonder when they find out and if its in time to change what they recruit

One more QB

Two physical CB/S guys that can bring it both need to be ready to play again i wouldnt mind one Juco here

One more run stuffing Load in the middle

Another WR not a smurf but a true 6/1 or greater WR that can give Ish something to take the heat off him next year. Would love to see a game ready Juco here

So a class that looks similar to this:

1. QB to be named later
2. Burrell, and Davis would be nice...if not Davis, Burch or maybe Clarke? Potentially Mangram?
3. Watts
4. Donald Stewart, in an ideal world

So a class that looks similar to this:

1. QB to be named later
2. Burrell, and Davis would be nice...if not Davis, Burch or maybe Clarke? Potentially Mangram?
3. Watts
4. Donald Stewart, in an ideal world
What if, in a highly unlikely scenario, Mahoney balls out on saturday. Do you think they would offer him a scholly instead of recruiting a QB?

What if, in a highly unlikely scenario, Mahoney balls out on saturday. Do you think they would offer him a scholly instead of recruiting a QB?
I could see them offering him a scholarship AND still bringing in another QB. As a preferred walk-on, I actually fully expect Mahoney to get a scholarship eventually.

I could see them offering him a scholarship AND still bringing in another QB. As a preferred walk-on, I actually fully expect Mahoney to get a scholarship eventually.

That's horrible, not for the kid obviously, but really that's just not a good sign for roster management...unless you assume both Wilson and Long leave.

That's horrible, not for the kid obviously, but really that's just not a good sign for roster management...unless you assume both Wilson and Long leave.
I would be pretty surprised if both Wilson and Long finish their careers at SU, to be honest.

I would be pretty surprised if both Wilson and Long finish their careers at SU, to be honest.
just out of curiosity why do you think that? I dont see Long going anywhere, maybe Wilson

I agree and wouldn't be shocked if both were gone before next year. Just hope the staff is looking at upgrades to Mahoney when out there this Fall.

I agree and wouldn't be shocked if both were gone before next year. Just hope the staff is looking at upgrades to Mahoney when out there this Fall.

Long is all Orange, kid got it tatted on his Bicep, he loves it here. Just dont see it happening.

Long is all Orange, kid got it tatted on his Bicep, he loves it here. Just dont see it happening.

Is he happy to wear a visor and stand on the sidelines for 2 more years though? I wouldn't fault him if he sought a better opportunity.

Is he happy to wear a visor and stand on the sidelines for 2 more years though? I wouldn't fault him if he sought a better opportunity.
he was suppose to RS last year, but got forced into action, only reason he is not a QB in discussion this year is because he broke his hand and has not healed from it. He very much would of been in the backup QB battle behind hunt if it was not for his injury. as True Frosh he was not horrible last year. Just don't see why people are writing him off all of sudden. I hope he stays, I hope he continues to recruit for SU and I hope he gets another shot.

I’m going with 7 more kids.

IMO Id like

QB – Moore

WR – Stewart

DT –

S – 2 (nothing less than 6-1 200 with at least 4.7 speed)

CB – 1

Athlete on the offensive side of the ball.

Sooooooo, like Brotzki? He could be a walk-on who doesn't actually need a scholarship... Seems perfect.

he was suppose to RS last year, but got forced into action, only reason he is not a QB in discussion this year is because he broke his hand and has not healed from it. He very much would of been in the backup QB battle behind hunt if it was not for his injury. as True Frosh he was not horrible last year. Just don't see why people are writing him off all of sudden. I hope he stays, I hope he continues to recruit for SU and I hope he gets another shot.

Are you allowed to apply a redshirt retroactively if a kid doesn't play that year? Or do Redshirts have to be applied at the beginning of the season?

Judging by his body language on the side lines last game and his passive aggressive tweets, he does seem frustrated... To what extent, yet to be seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom