I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

I just finished binge watching some Showtime shows after a free preview. First I watched Episodes. A very enjoyable comedy. Then I went in a completely different direction and watched Ray Donovan. Holy smokes is that good! I also would second the suggestions of Homeland and Justified. I watched the first few episodes of BB but couldn't get into it. I also watched the first few of The Wire, but haven't returned to it, though I probably will at some point.

I can say that Breaking Bad gets better and better every season for at least the first 4. The first season was definitely the weakest, but it sets up the whole story and introduces the characters obviously. Season 2 was good...and is even better when going back to it. I think the show truly hit it's stride about midway through season 3. The second half of season 3 and all of season 4 were so much fun. Just really exciting and intense TV the first time through, and even though I know what happens they're still great when going back to them now. Season 5A was good, and then it finished very strong with season 5B which I would put just slightly behind season 4 if I were ranking them. I understand the early struggle, but it gets a lot better.

The Wire can be difficult to get into early on because not much appears to be happening, and there's a ton of characters to get to know. When you don't know who is who and what's going on and what matters, it can be tough watching. It takes time to figure out what's going on, but it's very much worth it. I was hooked by midway through season 1. Season 2 was VERY difficult the first time through, but better in retrospect, because it was such a huge change in direction. Season 3 and 4 were two of the best seasons ever in television in my opinion.

CuseCPT said:
If by "it" you mean LOST, you are correct. While I'm on the subject if you liked LOST and/or Twin Peaks and aren't watching The Leftovers you don't know what you're missing. Season 2 of The Leftovers is the best single season of TV I have ever seen.
I hope so because Season 1 was easily the most confusing and depressing thing I've seen. I didn't believe when people said it was depressing but man...

the trailer park boys is available for instant streaming on netflix.

dare you to watch just one.
image.jpeg

Love the Trailer Park Boys. Can't wait for the new season! Hilarious

Just finished Bloodline on Netflix and let me tell you...its a top notch show. Extremely well acted. Picturesque setting...anyone with a big family will be able to draw some level of parallel to their family dynamics...and the dude who played Danny...what a talent..the guy is Australian? who would have thought.

just watched the first 4 episodes of Colony on USA. It's not bad so far. I like the dude from Lost - Saywer. Lori Chick from Walking Dead i haven't wanted to put a stake in her yet.

Has anyone checked out the Outsiders yet on WGN? Looks interesting.

Continuing to slowly go through Dexter. I've heard the later seasons get pretty bad, but it's pretty riveting so far.

On a lighter note, just started New Girl last night and can already tell it was a good decision. The guys in that show crack me up.

just watched the first 4 episodes of Colony on USA. It's not bad so far. I like the dude from Lost - Saywer. Lori Chick from Walking Dead i haven't wanted to put a stake in her yet.

Has anyone checked out the Outsiders yet on WGN? Looks interesting.
the-outsiders.jpg

I just started watching Sons of Anarchy on hulu.

It was a recommendation. I didn't think I'd be all that into it (biker gang version of Sopranos?). But I'm about to finish season 1 and I'm hooked.

You'll never look at Peggy Bundy the same.

I know it was mentioned in the OP, but Friday Night Lights to me is probably the best show ever put on TV. As a high school football coach I am biased, but I think even if you do not watch football you will appreciate the raw emotional content the show has to offer. I am not a crier at all, but there were a couple of scenes in this show which brought me to tears. It is a great story, the acting is superb and you really begin to identify with the characters in a way that does not often happen for me in TV. Anybody who has not watched this really needs to check it out. If you are a football fan really that is just a bonus.

Seasons 1 - 5 of Community are on Hulu and Season 6 is on Yahoo. It is one of the great sitcoms of the last 15 years.

I hope so because Season 1 was easily the most confusing and depressing thing I've seen. I didn't believe when people said it was depressing but man...

The jump in quality between the two seasons is mind-blowing and I actually liked Season 1. Season 2 is transcendent. Every week I figured they coudn't keep it up, every week I was wrong. The episode International Assassin is... I'm out of adjectives. Just watch it.

The X-Files mini-series prompted me start back at the pilot on Netflix. I'd forgotten how much I loved this show. I stopped watching after season 3 because I was a freshmen at SU for Season 4 and always had...other stuff to do on Friday nights.

also it may not suit everybody's taste but BROAD CITY on CC is an absolute riot. freakin' genius what those girls pull off.

I know it was mentioned in the OP, but Friday Night Lights to me is probably the best show ever put on TV. As a high school football coach I am biased, but I think even if you do not watch football you will appreciate the raw emotional content the show has to offer. I am not a crier at all, but there were a couple of scenes in this show which brought me to tears. It is a great story, the acting is superb and you really begin to identify with the characters in a way that does not often happen for me in TV. Anybody who has not watched this really needs to check it out. If you are a football fan really that is just a bonus.
First season complete. Thank you.

I've been told for years that The Wire is one of the greatest shows of all-time. I finally started it and am two episodes in; obviously too soon to judge. The story is compelling, but does the dialog get any better? It has been cringeworthy. I feel like I am watching a George Lucas film.

I've been told for years that The Wire is one of the greatest shows of all-time. I finally started it and am two episodes in; obviously too soon to judge. The story is compelling, but does the dialog get any better? It has been cringeworthy. I feel like I am watching a George Lucas film.
I had a hard time getting into the wire and had a couple of false starts. However, if you stick with it the characters are compelling and the writing is great. It gets additive and well worth every second. Hang in there.