I'm sick of Phil | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm sick of Phil

I don't know enough to comment on the triangle offense. What I do know is that Phil Jackson is a bit of a jackass who is extremely full of himself - with those characteristics playing a key role in unwavering support of "his" offense.

I think some of the arrogance is just him trolling the NY media

I guess what confuses me most is his plan. I understand he needs to be patient but if he does view Melo as a piece of the future he kinda needs to strike now or make a move with him, otherwise you're just wasting either his talent or his value.

What has he exactly done to move forward other than nothing? Phil isn't exactly a spring chicken, I see him leaving before he's successful.

I could run the square or pentagon or line offense with Shaq, Kobe , Jordan , pippen and I'd have a bunch of 'ships as well
Um, how many championships did Kobe, Jordan and Shaq combined, win while not playing the Triangle. 1. And that was Shaq at Miami.

Um, how many championships did Kobe, Jordan and Shaq combined, win while not playing the Triangle. 1. And that was Shaq at Miami.
I think the Jordan Bulls and the Kobe/Shaq Lakers could have run a number of offenses and won titles. At least we know they would have a better chance of winning titles with another offense than the Triangle does without a Shaq/Kobe and or Jordanesque type talent.

Phil Also won 2 with Pau Gasol, Bynum and Kobe the last one being 2010 not that long ago. Look at what happened to that team without Phil.

Phil Also won 2 with Pau Gasol, Bynum and Kobe the last one being 2010 not that long ago. Look at what happened to that team without Phil.
And that was against the "1st" Big three. Pierce, Garnett and Allen.

We all get that Phil was a great coach for his time.

It's that he's a crappy GM for the NBA now.
Worse, he's a crappy/unproven GM with the finish line in sight, likely motivated to stick around mainly to cash those big paychecks.

You can't say He's been crappy because the team is crappy. He inherited a pretty old team. Had to basically turn the entire roster over in 2 seasons.

They improved like 19 games in an IMPROVED Eastern conference. That was harder to make the playoffs then the western conference.

In Phil's 2 years the payroll went from 88mil to 74mil

You can't say He's been crappy because the team is crappy. He inherited a pretty old team. Had to basically turn the entire roster over in 2 seasons.

They improved like 19 games in an IMPROVED Eastern conference. That was harder to make the playoffs then the western conference.
I can. He's been crappy.

Let's say he's "crappy." But, aside from abandoning the Triangle, what else can/should he be doing? And, they have Zero picks in this draft...

He hasn't come up with anything, or really screwed up anything too badly. They sucked bad enough to get the 4th pick and didn't screw it up, and signed some cheap, mediocre veterans that made the team a little better. I thought they gave Chandler away fairly cheaply.

To be fair, it was a horrible situation to begin with. The triangle and Rambis stuff in 2016 just blows my mind though.
rambis is like 30-150 as a head coach. and Jackson might hire him. total cash grab at the expense of the knicks.

Let's say he's "crappy." But, aside from abandoning the Triangle, what else can/should he be doing? And, they have Zero picks in this draft...
why are you asking us? he is the zen master being paid millions to completely suck. we are just some guys that think he, the triangle, and his coaching tree sucks.

The whole tampering with Walton thing is a total debacle. Phil is lucky Kerr still considers him a friend.

My real hope here is that all of Phil's moved are geared towards forcing Melo to waive his no-trade clause so that both he and the Knicks can start over. The Knicks have some talent but they need to build around Zinger like the Mavs built around Dirk. Get a really good pick and roll point guard, a defensive stopper at Center and some athletic small forwards who can 3 & D and a decent shooting guard who won't stop the ball.
- I think Lopez is actually a pretty good center but we need a back up
- Williams and Thomas are pretty good forwards and I'd try to keep both for depth... Thomas seems to be a decent 2g/sf optioon and Williams seems to be a good PF/SF backup
- The guards are a disaster right now... I'd keep Galloway as a microwave 2g. Not sure what to do with Grant... he plays decent D but his offense is not good enough to be a starter right now. I think the Wroten signing is interesting, the kid has talent but I'm not sure what will happen
- Calderon, Vujicic and Afflolo can all go but the Knicks need to replace Afflolo's D.
- Porzingis is the key but the question is whether he's a center or stretch 4
- Anthony has huge value still but he needs to win now and the Knicks aren't ready to win now.

I think Phil needs to get a real starting 2g who can play some really good D and score 15 a night and a real point who can D up but also run the pick and roll. Other than that resign Williams and Thomas and get some backups pieces at Center and PF for depth.

The whole tampering with Walton thing is a total debacle. Phil is lucky Kerr still considers him a friend.

My real hope here is that all of Phil's moved are geared towards forcing Melo to waive his no-trade clause so that both he and the Knicks can start over. The Knicks have some talent but they need to build around Zinger like the Mavs built around Dirk. Get a really good pick and roll point guard, a defensive stopper at Center and some athletic small forwards who can 3 & D and a decent shooting guard who won't stop the ball.
- I think Lopez is actually a pretty good center but we need a back up
- Williams and Thomas are pretty good forwards and I'd try to keep both for depth... Thomas seems to be a decent 2g/sf optioon and Williams seems to be a good PF/SF backup
- The guards are a disaster right now... I'd keep Galloway as a microwave 2g. Not sure what to do with Grant... he plays decent D but his offense is not good enough to be a starter right now. I think the Wroten signing is interesting, the kid has talent but I'm not sure what will happen
- Calderon, Vujicic and Afflolo can all go but the Knicks need to replace Afflolo's D.
- Porzingis is the key but the question is whether he's a center or stretch 4
- Anthony has huge value still but he needs to win now and the Knicks aren't ready to win now.

I think Phil needs to get a real starting 2g who can play some really good D and score 15 a night and a real point who can D up but also run the pick and roll. Other than that resign Williams and Thomas and get some backups pieces at Center and PF for depth.
I tend to agree with your first sentence. I don't think Phil is a huge fan of Melo's game, and he knows he can't rebuild with Melo's salary hit. KP is the key but we still don't really know his ceiling. As a Knick fan I would love for it to be Dirk like but it could be Rik SMits like and that isn't gettting us anywhere. Finding a backcourt player who can defend and give us 15 a night isn't that easy.

I just wish Phil wasn't so damn wedded to the triangle. I think he has a pretty good eye for talent.

th

why are you asking us? he is the zen master being paid millions to completely suck. we are just some guys that think he, the triangle, and his coaching tree sucks.

I'm asking if the people who are critical of his results have anything constructive to suggest, or an informed rationale for the hate.

When someone says, with true middle-school pride, that a high-profile professional "sucks," i'd sorta like to hear more specifics on what he could have done differently.

I personally don't care one way or the other, aside from acknowledging that the Triangle is a limiting device when you don't have multiple all stars to run it/compensate for it.

I tend to agree with your first sentence. I don't think Phil is a huge fan of Melo's game, and he knows he can't rebuild with Melo's salary hit. KP is the key but we still don't really know his ceiling. As a Knick fan I would love for it to be Dirk like but it could be Rik SMits like and that isn't gettting us anywhere. Finding a backcourt player who can defend and give us 15 a night isn't that easy.
NBA is so much about team D anyways... As long as the dude isn't giving up 20 a game then I'm okay with mediocre D. I'd actually be ok with Afflolo as long as he never took a end of game shot again or was really just a 3 and D guy but Rambis doesn't know how to use him and pissed him off enough that he gone.

I'm asking if the people who are critical of his results have anything constructive to suggest, or an informed rationale for the hate.

When someone says, with true middle-school pride, that a high-profile professional "sucks," i'd sorta like to hear more specifics on what he could have done differently.

I personally don't care one way or the other, aside from acknowledging that the Triangle is a limiting device when you don't have multiple all stars to run it/compensate for it.
He's arrogant and inflexible, and seems to be in NY primarily because he was able to find "that one dumb owner." That's my rationale for disliking him.

He's arrogant and inflexible, and seems to be in NY primarily because he was able to find "that one dumb owner."

Dolan is a moron, he never should have hired him, should have gone with an young up and coming gm, but he had to have the big name. Jackson has one foot out the door in retirement mode.

Dolan is a moron, he never should have hired him, should have gone with an young up and coming gm, but he had to have the big name. Jackson has one foot out the door in retirement mode.
He had one foot out the door from the day Dolan hired him.