Im starting a cooney thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Im starting a cooney thread

In general, we've been a bad post passing team for a while. I wonder why. It doesn't seem that is should be a difficult skill to master.

No one seems to want to bounce pass anymore nor do they seem to understand angles and which ones help utilize the post players seal on the defender. Its not just an SU from what I can see.

I just loved the passing yesterday. Some of those releases were insane, but when he slashed, got into the lane, drew the defense to find the open man? Wow. So nice to have that, I hope he uses it more. Really keeps the defense honest and is a huge benefit to the other 4 offensive players around him.
stole my line. Those passes to Rak were the highlight of the game.

No one seems to want to bounce pass anymore nor do they seem to understand angles and which ones help utilize the post players seal on the defender. Its not just an SU from what I can see.
It's something that seems so simple. It's disappointing to see elite level athletes struggle with something like that.

It's something that seems so simple. It's disappointing to see elite level athletes struggle with something like that.

I remember doing it instinctively as a kid. Maybe it was because that's how I saw it done growing up by the college and pro guys. When I got bigger and posted that was how I preferred it as well. A crisp bounce pass to the offered hand away from the defender which best allowed you to maintain your position and either turn and face or back them down.

yep so much of it is about angles.
sometimes I'll watch clips of my namesake just for his entry pass highlights - he was a true master of it

I remember doing it instinctively as a kid. Maybe it was because that's how I saw it done growing up by the college and pro guys. When I got bigger and posted that was how I preferred it as well. A crisp bounce pass to the offered hand away from the defender which best allowed you to maintain your position and either turn and face or back them down.
Yeah, I'm by no means a high level basketball player, but I've always been able to throw a post pass whether it be lob or bounce pass to the post players hand and away from the defender. I was also able to understand when I didn't have the angle and refrain from forcing it. That's something I've seen too much of recently.

Yep...and the drop-step is a lost art. Maybe they just don't teach back-to-the-basket footwork anymore. Kevin McHale was the best I've ever seen.

I thought Cooney vs Nova was one of his best games I've seen him play

Twice he took it to the hole...in control...and knew exactly what he was going to do with it.
And didn't force shots.

That being said to the "we always knew it" crowd. We're 7-4...maybe let's all take a deep breath

Yep...and the drop-step is a lost art. Maybe they just don't teach back-to-the-basket footwork anymore. Kevin McHale was the best I've ever seen.

Add all his releases to that footwork and it was really unreal.

sufandu said:
In general, we've been a bad post passing team for a while. I wonder why. It doesn't seem that is should be a difficult skill to master.

Before this year, we hadn't developed a big since Bernie. Christmas and Roberson (over the last couple games) seem to have busted that streak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom