Class of 2015 - I'm still concerned about DT | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 I'm still concerned about DT

chakka3421

All Conference
depth at that position and I think having 1 more true DT will round out this class. I'm not an expert but 1 more solid multi offer recruit would make me less nervous about this position in the future - you got to be able to stop the run in college and we really need the depth inside to do that with a true NT/DT. If you recall in HCDMs third year we couldn't stop the run and caused us to only get 5 wins that year when we should have had 6-7. Found out later we were really banged up and lacked the depth at DT to stop the run in the second half of that season.

I wonder if they go get a junior college transfer this year - does anyone have insider knowledge if the coaching staff have this position already covered?

Last edited:
I am looking at DT as well and wondering What is going on? I do think they are pretty high on last years DT haul of Harvey and Samuels, but they were late scramble grabs as well. All our eggs are definitely in the Jamal Milan basket. He would be arguably our best pick up of the entire class if we can swing it. We were looking good until the home school Illini made a big push and currently lead. From the sounds of it we aren't going away, and he has promised to at least take an OV here. We have been pretty unfortunate this year. We had Michael Dew-Treadway basically wrapped up until ND offered last minute and he couldn't turn them down. During that same time where we felt in good with him, and Milan, we also had Wes Annan, another multiple P5 offer prospect very interested, but we told him to hold off on visiting since we felt good at where we were at. Right now i'm betting they had Annan visit and tried to seal that one up.

If we can grab Milan to go along with Giudice, and the 2 from last year I think we will be fine. Still i'd rather see them line up at DT then any other position.

The staff must feel that Harvey and Samuel can play otherwise they would be targeting more DT's.

Got the kid from GA too, Cross. Also look good for Ryslik from NJ too.

Got the kid from GA too, Cross. Also look good for Ryslik from NJ too.

Ryslik is more talk coming from him. I don't think there is much going on there.

What if we miss on Milan?

I guess you can't count anyone out, but I still am not sure we are that interested in him. We were able to scramble late last year for some talented kids. We're going to through everything at Milan, but I am sure some names will pop up as the season progresses.

Jay Harvey is a guy to watch. I think the staff was aware of him early but didn't want to alert other teams by giving him an offer early. I really liked his entire family driving up here with him on his visit . Hope he goes after it hard , the position is open.

I'm concerned to. It's the weak link of the team right now and we don't really have any studs on the horizon; there are no art jones or jay bromleys on this team. The two frosh were scrambles. We don't seem to have any preps lined up if Milan falls through. Day should have been a bigger priority.

Next year is even more concerning unless someone emerges. We lose Crume and who knows if Raymon plays again, poor kid.

I'm concerned to. It's the weak link of the team right now and we don't really have any studs on the horizon; there are no art jones or jay bromleys on this team. The two frosh were scrambles. We don't seem to have any preps lined up if Milan falls through. Day should have been a bigger priority.

Next year is even more concerning unless someone emerges. We lose Crume and who knows if Raymon plays again, poor kid.
I see what you're saying about future studs but honestly who thought Jay Bromley was going to be as good as he was when he came in as a freshman. He came in with a late offer, we were the only offer and he was very underweight for a DT when he first came on campus. So you never know who is going to be a stud or not it's completely up to the players and their work ethic.

I see what you're saying about future studs but honestly who thought Jay Bromley was going to be as good as he was when he came in as a freshman. He came in with a late offer, we were the only offer and he was very underweight for a DT when he first came on campus. So you never know who is going to be a stud or not it's completely up to the players and their work ethic.

I don't recall bromleys weight when he entered but I do recall watching him dominate an Allstar game, man among boys dominate, and thought he had a chance to be special. He then came in and played in every game as a true frosh. Everybody knew had had nfl talent. I can't say that about anyone on the roster now.

I also get I that there's some youth and fingers are crossed someone emerges. But without any bonafide prospects i'd prefer we had another 4 or so 290-lbers coming in to compete.

The depth might not be there, but the staff really likes both of the freshmen this year (Kayton & Samuels) and they really like what Cross could bring to the table. We're still in the mix for quite a few other DT's.

Put me in the "not worried" group... there's a plan in place.

I don't recall bromleys weight when he entered but I do recall watching him dominate an Allstar game, man among boys dominate, and thought he had a chance to be special. He then came in and played in every game as a true frosh. Everybody knew had had nfl talent. I can't say that about anyone on the roster now.

I also get I that there's some youth and fingers are crossed someone emerges. But without any bonafide prospects i'd prefer we had another 4 or so 290-lbers coming in to compete.
Yeah good point about dominating the all star game but when he came in he was in the 250-260 range, so it definatley took a lot of work on Bromleys end and that should be motivation for the current DT's.

Ultimately in 2016 we should see 3 DT brought in and another 2-3 DE

I also expect to see 4-5 OL

Next year will be a beefy year

It's why I'm wondering if we need 2 more - an upperclassman like WW and a frosh.

What other position do we have a more pressing need at this point in terms of depth than DT? I hope HCSS didn't forget about what happened 3 seasons ago where we simply got run over.

Seems our MO is to sim for the fences and end up bringing in a JUCO.

It's why I'm wondering if we need 2 more - an upperclassman like WW and a frosh.

What other position do we have a more pressing need at this point in terms of depth than DT? I hope HCSS didn't forget about what happened 3 seasons ago where we simply got run over.
at least in theory now the team wouldn't be helpless to try and outscore the team running them over like they were 3 years ago

Yeah good point about dominating the all star game but when he came in he was in the 250-260 range, so it definatley took a lot of work on Bromleys end and that should be motivation for the current DT's.

If he was only 250/260 that speaks more to his talent level then to have played every game as a true frosh inside.

I'm excited to see Coleman, and I was hoping Sloan would emerge. Then there's Wayne. I wish IJ had stayed at end but he's needed inside.

Love the size of the frosh, cautious on their ability.

I'm not as concerned because in part it seems like Raymon is going to skip this year giving another 2 years of eligibility. Losing Welsh, Robinson, and Crume after this year stings but with Raymon, Coleman, Thompson, Williams (love his 1 and done bravado but...), Sloan, Simmons, Johnson, and the 3 Frosh (the 2 GA and AL kids and Slayton from IL), I think we'll be ok. Plus I have a good feeling about Dauost coaching up his kind of players which at this point they mostly are his recruits.

I don't agree with this. Its important to keep in mind that college football is all about attrition. Every year, every team loses key players and has to replace dependable starters with guys who are unproven commodities. As stated above, attrition is the name of the game.

I'm willing to bet that by the end of the year, DL is going to be viewed as a position of STRENGTH for this team. We're loaded with depth / experience at DE. And we're returning 3/4 of last year's starters. I just don't get the hand-wringing about DT. Crume is going to be a beast this year. It's his turn, and barring injury he is going to step up. That's one of the most confident predictions I can make about this year's team. From there, we need to cobble together a rotation from the remaining guys.

Isaiah Johson flashed big time last year, and is moving inside to DT permanently. He'll factor into the rotation this year.

Marcus Coleman garnered early consideration from Notre Dame before getting injured in high school. He emerged as a front runner in spring practice and earned a starting role. He's a third year sophomore who's been in the S&C program and is now positioned well to contribute. He'll factor into the rotation.

We saw the article about Ron Thompson getting some time in flexible lineups at DT. Okay... that doesn't seem ideal at 260 pounds, but that's 10 pounds more than Kevin Mitchell played nose tackle. If the coaches think he can be an impact player, I'm really curious to see for myself what he can do.

Thats four guys right there--a more than adequate rotation at DT. And we've got other players vying for PT as well.

Wayne Williams is going to be a project, but I'm guessing that he'll play a LOT this year, and will be more comfortable by the 3rd or 4th game of the year.

We have two true frosh--Harvey and Samuels--that the coaching staff likes. A lot. I'll bet one of them redshirts, and the other will play.

And Raymon comes back next year.

To say nothing of the incoming frosh we've lined up in the class of 2015 [especially Cross, who does sound like a stud prospect].

So in summary, while there are some question marks, but with three starters returning, a full rotation / depth at DE, and some green but promising guys inside, are we really in as bad of shape as some are suggesting? It's one thing to say that we're unproven--no argument there. It's quite another to say that its the "weak link of the team." I don't buy that, given the reasons outlined above. I think we're in good shape from a both a numbers and talent perspective--we just need to see what some of these DTs can do. They'll get their chance to start demonstrating that on Friday.

I guess I'm a lot more bully on this positional units chances than a lot of what I'm reading in this thread. Having three returning starters is huge, and is going to give us a pillar of stability that the others can lean on as they get up to speed on the D-Line. Don't overlook how important that factor will be.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom