Class of 2015 - I'm still concerned about DT | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 I'm still concerned about DT

I don't agree with this. Its important to keep in mind that college football is all about attrition. Every year, every team loses key players and has to replace dependable starters with guys who are unproven commodities. As stated above, attrition is the name of the game.

I'm willing to bet that by the end of the year, DL is going to be viewed as a position of STRENGTH for this team. We're loaded with depth / experience at DE. And we're returning 3/4 of last year's starters. I just don't get the hand-wringing about DT. Crume is going to be a beast this year. It's his turn, and barring injury he is going to step up. That's one of the most confident predictions I can make about this year's team. From there, we need to cobble together a rotation from the remaining guys.

Isaiah Johson flashed big time last year, and is moving inside to DT permanently. He'll factor into the rotation this year.

Marcus Coleman garnered early consideration from Notre Dame before getting injured in high school. He emerged as a front runner in spring practice and earned a starting role. He's a third year sophomore who's been in the S&C program and is now positioned well to contribute. He'll factor into the rotation.

We saw the article about Ron Thompson getting some time in flexible lineups at DT. Okay... that doesn't seem ideal at 260 pounds, but that's 10 pounds more than Kevin Mitchell played nose tackle. If the coaches think he can be an impact player, I'm really curious to see for myself what he can do.

Wayne Williams is going to be a project, but I'm guessing that he'll play a LOT this year, and will be more comfortable by the 3rd or 4th game of the year.

We have two true frosh--Harvey and Samuels--that the coaching staff likes. A lot. I'll bet one of them redshirts, and the other will play.

And Raymon comes back next year.

To say nothing of the incoming frosh we've lined up in the class of 2015 [especially Cross, who does sound like a stud prospect].

So in summary, while there are some question marks, but with three starters returning, a full rotation / depth at DE, and some green but promising guys inside, are we really in as bad of shape as some are suggesting? It's one thing to say that we're unproven--no argument there. It's quite another to say that its the "weak link of the team." I don't buy that, given the reasons outlined above. I think we're in good shape from a both a numbers and talent perspective--we just need to see what some of these DTs can do. They'll get their chance to start demonstrating that on Friday.

I guess I'm a lot more bully on this positional units chances than a lot of what I'm reading in this thread. Having three returning starters is huge, and is going to give us a pillar of stability that the others can lean on as they get up to speed on the D-Line. Don't overlook how important that factor will be.
Well that just got me FIRED THE UP.

And to be clear, past history shows that I'm often critical of our talent level. I'm not a guy who sees rainbows and unicorns when it comes to our players. I try [I'm not suggesting that I always succeed] to be pragmatic. I also watch a ton of college football, so I'd like to think that I'm pretty realistic about our talent / players compared to other teams.

But when I look at DT, it isn't hard for me to envision that if a thing or two falls into place [and I very much expect them to], that this positional unit will be viewed as a team strength, not a weakness.

Just my opinion, obviously. Can't wait until things get rolling Friday to find out for sure...

I don't agree with this. Its important to keep in mind that college football is all about attrition. Every year, every team loses key players and has to replace dependable starters with guys who are unproven commodities. As stated above, attrition is the name of the game.

I'm willing to bet that by the end of the year, DL is going to be viewed as a position of STRENGTH for this team. We're loaded with depth / experience at DE. And we're returning 3/4 of last year's starters. I just don't get the hand-wringing about DT. Crume is going to be a beast this year. It's his turn, and barring injury he is going to step up. That's one of the most confident predictions I can make about this year's team. From there, we need to cobble together a rotation from the remaining guys.

Isaiah Johson flashed big time last year, and is moving inside to DT permanently. He'll factor into the rotation this year.

Marcus Coleman garnered early consideration from Notre Dame before getting injured in high school. He emerged as a front runner in spring practice and earned a starting role. He's a third year sophomore who's been in the S&C program and is now positioned well to contribute. He'll factor into the rotation.

We saw the article about Ron Thompson getting some time in flexible lineups at DT. Okay... that doesn't seem ideal at 260 pounds, but that's 10 pounds more than Kevin Mitchell played nose tackle. If the coaches think he can be an impact player, I'm really curious to see for myself what he can do.

Wayne Williams is going to be a project, but I'm guessing that he'll play a LOT this year, and will be more comfortable by the 3rd or 4th game of the year.

We have two true frosh--Harvey and Samuels--that the coaching staff likes. A lot. I'll bet one of them redshirts, and the other will play.

To say nothing of the incoming frosh we've lined up in the class of 2015 [especially Cross, who does sound like a stud prospect].

So in summary, while there are some question marks, but with three starters returning, a full rotation / depth at DE, and some green but promising guys inside, are we really in as bad of shape as some are suggesting? It's one thing to say that we're unproven--no argument there. It's quite another to say that its the "weak link of the team." I don't buy that, given the reasons outlined above. I think we're in good shape from a both a numbers and talent perspective--we just need to see what some of these DTs can do. They'll get their chance to start demonstrating that on Friday.

I guess I'm a lot more bully on this positional units chances than a lot of what I'm reading in this thread. Having three returning starters is huge, and is going to give us a pillar of stability that the others can lean on as they get up to speed on the D-Line. Don't overlook how important that factor will be.
Great " come in off the ledge" post. But I'll still feel way better if we get Milan.

Unless Raymon can't play anymore its not emergency time, with the Power 5 breakaway, he should get a 6th year.

I think some of the Dline worry comes from the national talking heads - who see we lost Bromley and are a bit lazy.

Thats four guys right there--a more than adequate rotation at DT. And we've got other players vying for PT as well.

Excellent primo good Mr RF!

And to be clear, past history shows that I'm often critical of our talent level. I'm not a guy who sees rainbows and unicorns when it comes to our players. I try [I'm not suggesting that I always succeed] to be pragmatic. I also watch a ton of college football, so I'd like to think that I'm pretty realistic about our talent / players compared to other teams.

But when I look at DT, it isn't hard for me to envision that if a thing or two falls into place [and I very much expect them to], that this positional unit will be viewed as a team strength, not a weakness.

Just my opinion, obviously. Can't wait until things get rolling Friday to find out for sure...

So out of curiosity, if you don't see DT as a likely team weakness, what do you see as our likeliest weakness this year?

I'm willing to bet that by the end of the year, DL is going to be viewed as a position of STRENGTH for this team. We're loaded with depth / experience at DE. And we're returning 3/4 of last year's starters. I just don't get the hand-wringing about DT. Crume is going to be a beast this year. It's his turn, and barring injury he is going to step up. That's one of the most confident predictions I can make about this year's team. From there, we need to cobble together a rotation from the remaining guys..

You're a lot higher on the DT's than me. We have one proven kid in Crume. The rest are big ?s. I'm willing to bet the interior DL is the weakness and I pray they don't get run over this year. I hope I'm wrong. I think the tackles/depth inside is the teams biggest weakness.

Is anybody good enough to command double teams ?

So out of curiosity, if you don't see DT as a likely team weakness, what do you see as our likeliest weakness this year?
CB

And potentially WR. Other than estime, do we have anyone who can create separation and make plays? Or are they are just a bunch of average guys?

The WR 's are a question, because can West, Fleming block, they didn't last year, and bubble screens, and QB runs need blockers. Estime, and Ashton are the only people who have shown the ability, and desire to block. In this offense its not just about catching the ball, but doing the other things well, and blocking is part of it.

You're a lot higher on the DT's than me. We have one proven kid in Crume. The rest are big ?s. I'm willing to bet the interior DL is the weakness and I pray they don't get run over this year. I hope I'm wrong. I think the tackles/depth inside is the teams biggest weakness.

Is anybody good enough to command double teams ?

Absolutely--Crume.

I'd be willing to take that bet. We were tough in the trenches under Marrone playing one good DT [Art Jones] part of one season and a bunch of platoon guys the rest of the time. Jay Bromley didn't become Jay Bromley, third round pick, until after he'd contributed in a supporting role for two years. And that's from a guy who didn't even have a scholarship one week before the beginning of summer training camp. I trust our coaches' judgement when it comes to recruiting guys who can excel in our system.

To that point: we don't specifically need Coleman / Williams / et al to be Warren Sapp--just do their jobs, play assignment football, and make the plays they are supposed to. Playing alongside a senior in Crume who is poised for a big year, that will be sufficient. They'll be up to the challenge.

Last edited:
baggerbob said:
The WR 's are a question, because can West, Fleming block, they didn't last year, and bubble screens, and QB runs need blockers. Estime, and Ashton are the only people who have shown the ability, and desire to block. In this offense its not just about catching the ball, but doing the other things well, and blocking is part of it.

Flemming was the best blocking WR on the team last year - just got hurt.

DT Nikita Whitlock 5-10 248 lets give Ron a chance here no hes probably not Nikita but if hes disruptive anything is possible

You think wr's are a question because of their blocking ability? That's a first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom