Tennessee
Tulane
Vandy
VA Tech
Virginia
South Carolina
Washington and Lee

* (F Pat Dye)​
What is this, the original configuration for the Southern Conference?

I assume you included Washington and Lee because they have a better football program / more tradition than Rutgers?

I'll hang up and listen.
Ah, yes. Our "pals", the Minxes. That was pure, unadulterated hate. You know how schools have a "one-game season" in some sports. Like Auburn can go 1-11 as long as that 1 is Bama? Or, an 11-1 season is a total waste if that 1 is against Bama? Well W&L in the 70s and 80s had a one-game athletic year based on the outcome of the MLax game w/UVa.

Shark58 said:
very very close. 2nd year, 1922. the year before Sewanee joined

Nice dig up. It makes me think, there is no good reason for Clemson or FSU to leave the ACC for another Power 5 conference as I'm sure they grouse over the 9 game thing. They are top banana in FB here, can you imagine trying to win a conference championship and get to the CFP in a conference like that. Making it through a season without a trip up knocking you out of the playoffs would be much harder. Same goes for the schools in those other conferences if they are the haves they do not want to be the have nots because they added too good of a program to the conf. Hmm.

Nice dig up. It makes me think, there is no good reason for Clemson or FSU to leave the ACC for another Power 5 conference as I'm sure they grouse over the 9 game thing. They are top banana in FB here, can you imagine trying to win a conference championship and get to the CFP in a conference like that. Making it through a season without a trip up knocking you out of the playoffs would be much harder. Same goes for the schools in those other conferences if they are the haves they do not want to be the have nots because they added too good of a program to the conf. Hmm.

I also found it mildly interesting that almost 100 years ago this was a 20 team "superconference" that ended up adding 3 more teams (Suwanee, VMI & Duke) before it started losing teams in 33 with the formation of the SEC

Shark58 said:
I also found it mildly interesting that almost 100 years ago this was a 20 team "superconference" that ended up adding 3 more teams (Suwanee, VMI & Duke) before it started losing teams in 33 with the formation of the SEC

Yeah no kidding id have to imagine a number that large was unmanageable, we complain about not playing Miami enough now 20 teams, yikes.

History repeating itself? Never heard of that.

I often imagine this conference with UNC no longer a member.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom